Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artificials for springs  (Read 10520 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Artificials for springs
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 06:05:13 PM »

yeah I have this very annoying twitch that I can't get rid of since a recent outing at the Vedder.  :)

I have had some luck with jigs under a float in quicker water, but never tried directly.  Don't see why it would not work.  Give it a go and report back?

jayeffdee

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »

yeah I have this very annoying twitch that I can't get rid of since a recent outing at the Vedder.  :)

I have had some luck with jigs under a float in quicker water, but never tried directly.  Don't see why it would not work.  Give it a go and report back?

Definitely will do! Planning on a little hike + fishing on the Vedder this Sunday.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »

How many eggs do you put on? Do you put the hook through them?

I put 1 egg on the hook and a small amount of wool placed in the bait loop. You can also add a little scent to the wool.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 09:02:21 AM »

I use what my friends have dubbed "Hairy Balls"...2 beads in a roe bag with strands of pink or orange wool all around it. I also put some scent on the wool. Works every time!... ;)

fishtruck

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 11:37:50 AM »

Fishmonk: that's a very interesting set-up. How do you fish that? Short floating it like single eggs or yarn?

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »

I short float it like single eggs...try it and let me know how it works for you.

fishtruck

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »

definitely will try that on next outing. Thanks again

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 06:37:26 PM »

Interesting discussion! I have a steelhead tote of gooey-bobs and the like that I never bust out for salmon. Am going to try some of them for kicks. I catch most of my springs on wool or a single jensen egg with wool.

Also am going to try one of those small, pink with chartreuse tail/paddle, rubber worms from Mad River. Gonna nip off most of the body and hang the rest off a jig!! ;D

Mr. Iban

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 01:00:53 AM »

Twitching is my preferred method. Works very well for salmon and steelhead. Coho respond very well to twitching.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:02:53 AM by Mr. Iban »

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 06:57:13 PM »

Anyone use artificials on the Slower-Lower Fraser??
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 09:45:32 AM »

Was out yesterday fishing one of the "meal holes" in the vedder canal.

Seemed only thing they wanted was roe or various colors of wool. I didn't have any roe but hooked and landed 4 springs (kept one clean doe). One was one green wool. 1st cast after the change up! Then didn't work after that. Another was on very pale cotton candy like wool. Another was on a small gold Colorado and the last on a pink/purple jig under a float.

I tried a small gooey-bob for 20 or so casts and a large gooey-bob for about 20 casts. Not a sniff.

So yeah, this didn't work for me but it could have just been the spot. They were sitting in a very specific spot and watching everything drift over their heads all day long. Seemed that very annoying (blade) or very subtle (tiny wool ball) was what worked for me. Or of course a big ball of guts hanging off your hook but I rarely fish the stuff.

KarateKick

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »

Anyone use artificials on the Slower-Lower Fraser??

I use spoons and spinners, but have caught only trout so far.  For some reason salmon don't like my hardware.

banx

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »

twitching your spoon a bit during the swing will help quite a bit.... same with a spinner. give it a couple of twitches.  stop reeling. let it sink. speed it up, slow it down.   random action usually induces a strike for me as opposed to just having consistent motion.

I have yet to meet a salmon that does not like a croc spoon.