Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More fishing news  (Read 8208 times)

VA7DDP

Re: More fishing news
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 12:35:13 AM »

I had the good fortune to visit the Skeena last week and was able to fish a couple of evenings.  Brought my fly rod and was rewarded with several sockeye, a coho and lots of pinks.  Coho and pinks took the fly but I believe I flossed all the sockeye.  Sadly, everyone else fishing were flossing using the "Fraser River" technique but instead of betties, they use large pieces of pencil lead with 10 foot plus leaders.  The best one I saw was a person doing the Alaskan Flip and Rip which proved to be the most effective way to snag the Sockeye - he was even able to snag 3 steelhead.

A lot of people I know have switched to eyed pencil lead since it's cheaper and less snags on the bottom.

VA7DDP

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 12:37:25 AM »

Leader length restrictions will not stop the interception of sockeye. When sockeye were opened years ago we were using 3 ft leaders with great success. DFO does not have the manpower to check the leader length of every angler on the river.  However, if it were bar fishing only and you were observed bottom bouncing/flossing you then could be charged. It would not take long for the word to spread.

Sir your leader is out of compliance by 1"

Flubberdubber

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 07:28:45 AM »

LOL

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 07:33:41 AM »

Well now you've just stopped fly fisherman, as they use 9-12ft leaders  :'(

And at times 20'. (Referring to tightline nymphing)

Flubberdubber

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 07:37:50 AM »

If your leader hits you in the *** when you cast it is probably too long

ByteMe

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »

CIRCLE HOOKS..............the perfect solution to a new sport  called "sans fishing" by popular demand, no more worries about leader length, short floating, long floating. Tackle mfgs spend millions on research to make fishing easier and the new gen. masses think of ways to make it more difficult. Glad I will be long gone before the new rule kicks in when only yarn is allowed to catch on to fish teeth as a legal option. Good news is our casting is perfected that we can put a chunk of pencil lead in a tea cup at 80ft, and on the way home stop off at a supermarket pay the $40 for a side of sockeye for the grill......Guess what's for dinner hon???? ;D
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 08:46:47 AM »

CIRCLE HOOKS..............the perfect solution to a new sport  called "sans fishing" by popular demand, no more worries about leader length, short floating, long floating. Tackle mfgs spend millions on research to make fishing easier and the new gen. masses think of ways to make it more difficult. Glad I will be long gone before the new rule kicks in when only yarn is allowed to catch on to fish teeth as a legal option. Good news is our casting is perfected that we can put a chunk of pencil lead in a tea cup at 80ft, and on the way home stop off at a supermarket pay the $40 for a side of sockeye for the grill......Guess what's for dinner hon???? ;D
I tried circle hooks fishing for pinks to avoid snagging them, but it didn't really work.  If the fish are stacked, you are going to snag them even with circle hooks.

ByteMe

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 09:31:47 AM »

I tried circle hooks fishing for pinks to avoid snagging them, but it didn't really work.  If the fish are stacked, you are going to snag them even with circle hooks.

At least no one around you can accuse you of flossing or snagging ;). Have a T-shirt made up saying " I AM USING CIRCLE HOOKS", you're good to go ;D
                                         Lefty Kreh

Flubberdubber

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »

Just allow snagging then all worries are gone :-[, $40 for a Sock fillet? ByteMe you are getting hosed.

ByteMe

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 10:04:06 AM »

Just allow snagging then all worries are gone :-[, $40 for a Sock fillet? ByteMe you are getting hosed.
no wonder I'm hurting where I should not be...tough walking these days :P
                                         Lefty Kreh