Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil spill English bay/Burrard Inlet  (Read 38177 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Re: Oil spill English bay/Burrard Inlet
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 05:35:03 AM »

see below
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:09:08 AM by Novabonker »
http://

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 08:05:36 AM »

Ahhh...I was waiting for you to start throwing out the insults.  What took you so long?  Is this an example of your improved attitude on this board that you were eluding to before?  And you whine about being attacked? Another gem to save when you start complaining about how others treat you here (the little violin is on standby).

Um, unlike this post, I simply pointed out the source was obvious and "attacked" no one. Twist it any way you like, all I was stating is that the source was patently obvious.

Clarkii basically said what I wanted to.  So, I guess you would have had it all figured out in a matter of minutes after the initial call?
No, but if I was in charge, crews would have been deployed directly after the call.Do they not have chopper to access for this type of incident for observation from the air?

You would have had the aerial photo in hand and rushed right to the boat that had the leak and deployed the boom.  I guess those CCG employees are either willfully blind or just plain stupid that day.

I'm pretty well sure that deployment was not in the hands of the boots to the ground crews, but left to someone who missed the mark by a wide margin.

They just didn't care much that night to do much of anything - right?  They took their sweet time coming from Richmond.  They just sat in their boats, cracked open some wobbly pops and just let it all unfold in front of them - right?

That's not what I said or inferred. Those are your words, not mine. You can take ownership of that statement.

Yep, the CCG response was just so terrible....
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/10-vessels-in-vancouver-island-fleet-could-tackle-oil-spill-1.1824127

Spin and deflection (in my opinion)

I thought you said you were not critical of the CCG employees.

Where do you see me being critical of the employees? They can only do what the chain of command says and they deserve criticism.

Seems like you (and Chris) are conflicted.  You want to bash them, but you don't want to sound like a heartless SOB.

Show me where I've stated that.

The CCG employees on the ground were the ones that responded that day - not politicians in Ottawa like you and Chris seem to think.

Who made the cuts that led to this in the first place? There used to be a boom and equipment at the shuttered Kits base, but the bean counters decided that you can respond just as quickly from Richmond. Geographically impossible

Of course, there is no way that this leak had been going on long before the initial call to the CCG.  I guess the CCG are guilty of not having the crystal ball either and not anticipating this initial call sooner. When was this photo taken and by who?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/coast-guard-budget-cuts-roil-the-water-in-bc-oil-spill-controversy/article23893361/  has some.

Why the personal attack Steve? I simply have a different opinion than yours and in no way, other than to post my views, did I attack you or insult you, but you choose to come out swinging.Why?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:28:04 AM by Novabonker »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 04:06:01 PM »

I can see SSteve's point. Fish farm, oil spill all good for the economy. Just others may not agree with that point if there not handled well.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 11:41:50 PM »

Um, unlike this post, I simply pointed out the source was obvious and "attacked" no one. Twist it any way you like, all I was stating is that the source was patently obvious.

Obvious – no.  Personal - yes.  If you care to look at the photo again there are several boats in the picture and as Clarkii explained already the currents and tides could influence how the slick moved.  I am not sure if those CCG employees (not politicians) on the ground at the time were looking at photos like the one you posted.  What we do know is that from their point of view it was not obvious at the time – no spin, it’s the truth.  Do you really think if they knew where the source was that early they wouldn’t do everything possible to contain quickly?  As for your statement, “And if you can't figure out the source......you're willfully blind or just plain stupid”, if you can’t figure out how inflammatory that is when you could have approached it much differently and still made your point then you have much larger issues.  I will leave it at that.

No, but if I was in charge, crews would have been deployed directly after the call.Do they not have chopper to access for this type of incident for observation from the air?

Again, read the timeline of events:
http://beaconenergynews.ca/markham/dear-gregor-robertson-so-what-does-a-world-class-oil-spill-response-look-like/

As the author states, the CCG was diligent enough (those employees on the water, not the politicians) to take the report as real.  However, I don’t see any of you critics giving any credit there because it could have been a much worse situation.  The source of the spill needed to be found first.  What are you going to put booms around if you are not sure where the oil is coming from?  Personally, I feel like those employees of the CCG that day have been raked over the coals very unfairly by the public.  I am not sure if they use helicopters at that point or not because it is not my area of expertise.  I trust that those CCG employees know how to do their jobs and understand what protocols they need to follow.  Take the hint please.

I'm pretty well sure that deployment was not in the hands of the boots to the ground crews, but left to someone who missed the mark by a wide margin.

If you feel like it was not in the hands of the boots on the ground, then who?  The CCG can get many calls from the public daily about pollution, boating, etc.  Do you think that every call or most of them are directed to some “political hack” in Ottawa(?) who has to time to review, investigate and direct (or micro-manage) employees across the county what to do?  With this particular incident, do you think that the “boots on the ground” phoned some senior bureaucrat or politician back east at night (9:00pm ET) for direction on deployment?  Those CCG employees have a hard enough time trying to communicate and get responses with officials back east regarding daily administration issues.  You seem pretty sure and of course that is your opinion, but you have no facts of this phantom person pulling the puppet strings that day from unknown location.

You think those CCG employees on the ground had time to get direction from this mystery person considering the timeline?  You don’t believe they have supervisors on the ground that are qualified enough and trusted enough to respond to these incidents?  Think about what you are trying to sell me.  And you talk about not wanting to be fed bull#$%t.  As for someone missing the mark by a wide margin that is not supported by the facts so far as most of the surface oil has been contained nor does it show any appreciation for the fact that the decision by the CCG to disagree with the Port’s initial assessment was the right call.

That's not what I said or inferred. Those are your words, not mine. You can take ownership of that statement.

That’s right – those are my words.  In my opinion, when you refer to the response as “pathetic” that is definitely an insult to those crews on the ground.  Again, it’s the employees on the ground carrying out the work.  Can only do what the chain of command says?  Well, I imagine there has to be some command structure in place, but who is this “talking head”, “political hack” or “stuffed shirt” that directed the response that day, did such a horrible job and refused to admit they blew it?  Those words in quotes are yours, NB.

What is “pathetic” is when armchair critics become experts in oil spill management overnight while disrespecting those on the ground with the actual experience.  Some critics should put the boots on sometime and shadow some of these employees and see what they do before judging their performance as “pathetic”.

Who made the cuts that led to this in the first place? There used to be a boom and equipment at the shuttered Kits base, but the bean counters decided that you can respond just as quickly from Richmond. Geographically impossible

Apparently not impossible in this case considering the timeline and the success so far by the crews involved.  Not saying that the Kits base closure was great but one should be fair and objective about if this closure impacted the response.  If the base was still open would that really have made the response that much better?  Keep in mind that the observation would still have to be confirmed and the source still needed to be found.  In addition, the leak could have been going on many hours before the initial call came in.  It was not as if the ship clearly ran aground on the rocks in English Bay and it was obviously leaking bunker fuel.  Hindsight is great.

Why the personal attack Steve? I simply have a different opinion than yours and in no way, other than to post my views, did I attack you or insult you, but you choose to come out swinging.Why?

Personal attack from me…lol?  Yeah, right.  Nice try.  I have no problems with other opinions, but there was no need to insinuate that I was being wilfully blind or just plain stupid.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:50:50 PM by shuswapsteve »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2015, 11:00:49 AM »

Wow
Obvious – no.  Personal - yes. The attack -right? ;) If you care to look at the photo again there are several boats in the picture and as Clarkii explained already the currents and tides could influence how the slick moved.  I am not sure if those CCG employees (not politicians) on the ground at the time were looking at photos like the one you posted.If they had done a fly over after the initial reports, that would have been a pretty obvious clue.  What we do know is that from their point of view it was not obvious at the time – no spin, it’s the truth.  Do you really think if they knew where the source was that early they wouldn’t do everything possible to contain quickly?  As for your statement, “And if you can't figure out the source......you're willfully blind or just plain stupid”, if you can’t figure out how inflammatory that is when you could have approached it much differently and still made your point then you have much larger issues.  I will leave it at that.Yeah - I'm going to take psychological advice from you. ::)

And if you looked at the picture, one ship has more oil around it than all the others- that would be the first clue and likely a good starting point

Again, read the timeline of events:
http://beaconenergynews.ca/markham/dear-gregor-robertson-so-what-does-a-world-class-oil-spill-response-look-like/

As the author states, the CCG was diligent enough (those employees on the water, not the politicians) to take the report as real.  However, I don’t see any of you critics giving any credit there because it could have been a much worse situation.  The source of the spill needed to be found first.  What are you going to put booms around if you are not sure where the oil is coming from?  Personally, I feel like those employees of the CCG that day have been raked over the coals very unfairly by the public.  I am not sure if they use helicopters at that point or not because it is not my area of expertise.  I trust that those CCG employees know how to do their jobs and understand what protocols they need to follow.  Take the hint please.

If you feel like it was not in the hands of the boots on the ground, then who?  The CCG can get many calls from the public daily about pollution, boating, etc.  Do you think that every call or most of them are directed to some “political hack” in Ottawa(?) who has to time to review, investigate and direct (or micro-manage) employees across the county what to do?  With this particular incident, do you think that the “boots on the ground” phoned some senior bureaucrat or politician back east at night (9:00pm ET) for direction on deployment?  Those CCG employees have a hard enough time trying to communicate and get responses with officials back east regarding daily administration issues.  You seem pretty sure and of course that is your opinion, but you have no facts of this phantom person pulling the puppet strings that day from unknown location.
So there's no chain of command and no responsibility?

You think those CCG employees on the ground had time to get direction from this mystery person considering the timeline?  You don’t believe they have supervisors on the ground that are qualified enough and trusted enough to respond to these incidents?  The answer to that is a resounding NOThink about what you are trying to sell me. and what you're trying to sell me And you talk about not wanting to be fed bull#$%t.  As for someone missing the mark by a wide margin that is not supported by the facts so far as most of the surface oil has been contained nor does it show any appreciation for the fact that the decision by the CCG to disagree with the Port’s initial assessment was the right call.

That’s right – those are my words.  In my opinion, when you refer to the response as “pathetic” that is definitely an insult to those crews on the ground.In your opinion,but not mine. Opinions are like certain body parts- they all stink.  Again, it’s the employees on the ground carrying out the work.  Can only do what the chain of command says?  Well, I imagine there has to be some command structure in place, but who is this “talking head”, “political hack” or “stuffed shirt” that directed the response that day, did such a horrible job and refused to admit they blew it?  Those words in quotes are yours, NB.

What is “pathetic” is when armchair critics become experts in oil spill management overnight while disrespecting those on the ground with the actual experience.  Some critics should put the boots on sometime and shadow some of these employees and see what they do before judging their performance as “pathetic”.

I pay lots of taxes and have every right to be critical.You don't like it - tough. I also have a lot of respect for the boots to the ground crews, while the upper ranks, well, not so much.Even the coast guard admitted it was messed up.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/cleanup-efforts-continue-sunday-on-vancouver-oil-spill/article23890434/

Apparently not impossible in this case considering the timeline and the success so far by the crews involved.  Not saying that the Kits base closure was great but one should be fair and objective about if this closure impacted the response.  If the base was still open would that really have made the response that much better?  Keep in mind that the observation would still have to be confirmed and the source still needed to be found.  In addition, the leak could have been going on many hours before the initial call came in.  It was not as if the ship clearly ran aground on the rocks in English Bay and it was obviously leaking bunker fuel.  Hindsight is great.

Preparation and action is the key to success - again, the CG has air transportation to use as a tool for investigation.

Personal attack from me…lol?  Yeah, right.  Nice try.  I have no problems with other opinions, but there was no need to insinuate that I was being wilfully blind or just plain stupid.

And where did I say Steve, Brian or anything that might have been pointed a finger to you other than in a rather vivid imagination?

Carry on Steve. I think I'll just ignore you.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:08:20 PM by Novabonker »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2015, 10:41:02 PM »

What?! You are finally going to ignore me? Sounds good to me.  If you can’t discuss things without being rude then maybe that is a good plan.

So there's no chain of command and no responsibility?

Of course there is a chain of command and responsibility, but you believe that it is some "political hack" giving orders and responding to calls from afar in the late hours of the night and I would like to know who it is.....seeing as though you are so convinced that this individual exists.

So, it is a resounding NO, but you say you have a lot of respect for the ground crews.  Don't fall off the fence.  Sure doesn't sound like it especially when you refer to their response as "pathetic".  So, CCG supervisors on the ground are "political hacks"?  Yeah, if I was one of those CCG employees that day I would feel really happy if someone called my efforts "pathetic" especially if I was out there all night while you were in your cozy bed after punching madly on the computer saying how bad a job I did.  Because I am sure that even those are working in a place like the CCG that suffered budget cuts still take pride in their job and don't think of their efforts as "pathetic".

I pay lots of taxes and have every right to be critical

Never said you couldn't be critical.  Not sure what paying taxes have to do with this.  Another red herring from you.

Even the coast guard admitted it was messed up.

(sigh) As usual you didn't read the whole article or even the one I posted before about the communication issues. There will be a debrief by all parties regarding how things went and how things could be improved.  This usually happens after any accident like aircraft crash, train derailment, or boating accident. Did they have aerial surveillance, if not, why?  You keep referring to the photo, but do we know when it was taken and by whom?  I am sure they have helicopters and planes, but at this point I doubt the media is going to provide details from all sides accurately until there is a debrief.  Did the initial calls from the public provide any insight that could have been used to pinpoint the source or was it conflicting at the time (as various calls must have came in that day from the public)?  When did the leak start?  I doubt it just happened before the first call to the CCG.  What was the ship's crew initial response?  How much fuel did the ship have left when it was in English Bay?  Why did the Port's initial survey differ so much from the CCG's assessment?  Why did it take so long for the Mayor of Vancouver to be notified?  According to the CCG they followed protocol by informing BC Emergency Management.  Was there a breakdown in communication within the provincial and civic realms?  Was the message misinterpreted at the time and that was the reason things didn’t get pass along appropriately?  I have no doubt there will be things that CCG will want to do better because nothing is done perfectly, but in my opinion, those men and women deserve our respect (the "boots" responded - not politicians).  All that came out from critics after the first day was condemnation of the CCG, but no recognition for the job they were doing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:44:20 PM by shuswapsteve »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2015, 11:13:29 PM »

What?! You are finally going to ignore me? Sounds good to me.  If you can’t discuss things without being rude than maybe that is a good plan.

Now that;s a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Thank you for that lesson Miss Manners. Can I get you another cup of hypocrisy? I see you've drank that gallon already

Of course there is a chain of command and responsibility, but you believe that it is some "political hack" giving orders and responding to calls from afar in the late hours of the night and I would like to know who it is.....seeing as though you are so convinced that this individual exists.

Rephrase that to upper management doing damage control through talking head spokespersons

So, it is a resounding NO, but you say you have a lot of respect for the ground crews.  Don't fall off the fence.  Sure doesn't sound like it especially when you refer to their response as "pathetic".  So, CCG supervisors on the ground are "political hacks"?  Yeah, if I was one of those CCG employees that day I would feel really happy if someone called my efforts "pathetic" especially if I was out there all night while you were in your cozy bed after punching madly on the computer saying how bad a job I did.  Because I am sure that even those are working in a place like the CCG that suffered budget cuts still take pride in their job and don't think of their efforts as "pathetic".

Never said you couldn't be critical.  Not sure what paying taxes have to do with this.  Another red herring from you.Then the snarky replies to my opinions is just some sand in your speedo's?

(sigh) As usual you didn't read the whole article or even the one I posted before about the communication issues. There will be a debrief by all parties regarding how things went and how things could be improved.  This usually happens after any accident like aircraft crash, train derailment, or boating accident. Did they have aerial surveillance, if not, why?  You keep referring to the photo, but do we know when it was taken and by whom?Since you purport to being such an astute detective - dig it up yourself  I am sure they have helicopters and planes, but at this point I doubt the media is going to provide details from all sides accurately until there is a debrief. Yeah, by the time the stuffed shirts get their story concocted. Did the initial calls from the public provide any insight that could have been used to pinpoint the source or was it conflicting at the time (as various calls must have came in that day from the public)?  When did the leak start?  I doubt it just happened before the first call to the CCG.  What was the ship's crew initial response?  How much fuel did the ship have left when it was in English Bay?  Why did the Port's initial survey differ so much from the CCG's assessment?  Why did it take so long for the Mayor of Vancouver to be notified?  According to the CCG they followed protocol by informing BC Emergency Management.  Was there a breakdown in communication within the provincial and civic realms?  Was the message misinterpreted at the time and that was the reason things didn’t get pass along appropriately?  I have no doubt there will be things that CCG will want to do better because nothing is done perfectly, but in my opinion, those men and women deserve our respect (the "boots" responded - not politicians).  All that came out from critics after the first day was condemnation of the CCG, but no recognition for the job they were doing. How many months does that take? That should be answered within a short time span, eh?

There you go again with the assumption that I have a bone to pick with the people that took part in the clean up. I don't support our troops going into the middle east or the Ukraine, but I respect the bravery of the troops. The politicians that sent them there? Not unless they go there too.

Maybe I will stay for a while longer. It's good for your fingers to type furiously. So - ya wanna buy my boat?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:15:25 PM by Novabonker »

Novabonker

• Old Timer

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:15:55 AM by Novabonker »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2015, 02:37:22 PM »

My assumption is the crew members on the ship must of known of the problem right away so why did they not sound the alarm & radio the powers that be?
What is this a hide & seek game when it comes to spills.
If the crew knew of the problem the responsibility is to own up to the problem & so the response teams can get in place.

If they knew the spill was happening & did nothing than this crew is the #1 problem.
( but did this crew know right away it was their ship? )

Thankfully it was not a full oil tanker that let out a major spill.
It would basically be the end to our beaches,& safe eating of local marine life.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2015, 07:56:35 AM »

https://twitter.com/StepanVdovine/status/586267100605521921/photo/1

There are going to be opinions back and forth from current and past CCG. Still doesn't take away from the fact that the source still needed to be found and most of the surface oil has been recovered.  If it wasn't for the CCG overturning the Port's assessment this could have been worse.  A debrief of all information is what is needed, not a trial by twitter. However, seems like someone is giving some credit to the effort, but they must be paid hacks also:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Ducks+released+from+rehab+after+English+spill/10985420/story.html

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2015, 08:06:34 AM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/bp-deepwater-horizon-oil-spill-5-years-later-1.3037641

Another red herring. One was a grain ship that spilled an estimated 2,700 litres of Bunker C fuel that was mostly contained within 48 hours and the other is an explosion on a deep sea oil rig, which killed 11 workers and spilled an estimated 650 million litres - capped 87 days later. Doesn't take away from the fact that no spill is good (even those from recreational boats at marinas that get swept under the rug), but one event is so extreme and the events that led to it are not even comparable.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2015, 08:12:49 AM »

My assumption is the crew members on the ship must of known of the problem right away so why did they not sound the alarm & radio the powers that be?
What is this a hide & seek game when it comes to spills.
If the crew knew of the problem the responsibility is to own up to the problem & so the response teams can get in place.

If they knew the spill was happening & did nothing than this crew is the #1 problem.
( but did this crew know right away it was their ship? ).

Good question. Not sure what the crew was doing at the time.  We can speculate for now, but I imagine an Environment Canada investigation will have more information about the crew's initial response.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2015, 10:32:41 AM »

Another red herring. One was a grain ship that spilled an estimated 2,700 litres of Bunker C fuel that was mostly contained within 48 hours and the other is an explosion on a deep sea oil rig, which killed 11 workers and spilled an estimated 650 million litres - capped 87 days later. Doesn't take away from the fact that no spill is good (even those from recreational boats at marinas that get swept under the rug), but one event is so extreme and the events that led to it are not even comparable.

I agree that there is a difference - BUT it certainly underscores the bravo sierra trotted out by hacks like Saxton in the picture. It's not a red herring, but it does magnify that the west coast is in no way equipped to handle any form of petroleum spill.