Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kawkawa Lake  (Read 10152 times)

Zackattack

Re: Kawkawa Lake
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »

Awesome. Will give that a try, which pet store?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:34:41 AM by Zackattack »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 01:10:06 PM »

Petland at 194 and Fraser at the Surrey langley border had some last year.

Gone_Fishin_

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »

I live in the wack so buy mine at Animal House. Most pet stores that have the frozen food section carry Krill packs. Usualy mixed in the with Blood Worms, Mysis Shrimp, Brine shrimp ect.

It is used to feed larger fish so almost everyone that sells fish should carry it, can always call ahead and ask. Look at the packs before you buy one, sometimes there is some on the smaller side and you can sort through and find some packs that are larger krill, maybe differnt harvest times not sure but have noticed a difference and got little guys one time. Now i meake sure to look for the large ones.

Also can always just buy a 3$ pack of deli shrimp from any grocery store. Not the shrimp on the ring style, but deli shrimp you'll find in Chinese food (rice) and such. Little guys, they work farily well too when procured. Leave them to air out for a bit will help make them a little tougher.

Zackattack

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 04:45:14 PM »

Ya I knew pet stores were suppose to carry them but several stores including Bosley's didn't.
Ill call around more or grab some from Animal House next time, or just use procured shrimp next time since its so similar.

Thnx

fishyfish

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »

I went to first light in Burnaby on Thursday. I got the last container of cured krill. He tried to talk me into coming back Friday or Saturday because he is doing a large fresh batch. I really like supporting him. I think his name is Steven or Stephen. He is always so friendly and informative.Strongly suggest seeing him for any fishing needs!

sandy999

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »

I live in the wack so buy mine at Animal House. Most pet stores that have the frozen food section carry Krill packs. Usualy mixed in the with Blood Worms, Mysis Shrimp, Brine shrimp ect.

It is used to feed larger fish so almost everyone that sells fish should carry it, can always call ahead and ask. Look at the packs before you buy one, sometimes there is some on the smaller side and you can sort through and find some packs that are larger krill, maybe differnt harvest times not sure but have noticed a difference and got little guys one time. Now i meake sure to look for the large ones.

Also can always just buy a 3$ pack of deli shrimp from any grocery store. Not the shrimp on the ring style, but deli shrimp you'll find in Chinese food (rice) and such. Little guys, they work farily well too when procured. Leave them to air out for a bit will help make them a little tougher.

I will let you in on a little trick that always worked for me. Just buy the FRESH shrimp and before you go to bed, with a salt shaker sprinkle a little salt on the shrimp and let it rest over nite. When you are ready to attach the shrimp-do not try to thread the shrimp onto the hook. Find or buy a small amount of the thinest wire that you can find and wrap around your leader above your hook about a three eights of a inch and cut off a short piece of wire about 2 inches long. Lay the shrimp on the line and the top part of your hook. Carefully wrap the wire around the line and the shrimp. The shrimp will stay on longer and you will get more fish. It is not necessary to colour the shrimp, but if you wish to, don`t bother with pro-cure. Just put a little water into a small bowl and add food colouring to the water for your desired tint, this may take a little practise to get the tint that you want. Also for a real deep colour you can apply right from the container of colour.

fishyfish

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »

Funny you mentioned that Sandy i am planning on trying some of that very fine thread like plastic line (hard to describe). comes in a small spool. use to use it for securing roe or tying off roe sacks.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 05:58:21 PM »

I think you mean spider wire.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 10:17:22 AM »

I will let you in on a little trick that always worked for me. Just buy the FRESH shrimp and before you go to bed, with a salt shaker sprinkle a little salt on the shrimp and let it rest over nite. When you are ready to attach the shrimp-do not try to thread the shrimp onto the hook. Find or buy a small amount of the thinest wire that you can find and wrap around your leader above your hook about a three eights of a inch and cut off a short piece of wire about 2 inches long. Lay the shrimp on the line and the top part of your hook. Carefully wrap the wire around the line and the shrimp. The shrimp will stay on longer and you will get more fish. It is not necessary to colour the shrimp, but if you wish to, don`t bother with pro-cure. Just put a little water into a small bowl and add food colouring to the water for your desired tint, this may take a little practise to get the tint that you want. Also for a real deep colour you can apply right from the container of colour.

--great ideas and should be effective... especially when shrimp is fresh in the water.
--I wouldn't overlook pro-cure or other scents as addatives. Instead of changing shrimp... if no bites.. try adding pro-cure gel... not just scent but UV colour enhancers to add to the attraction.
--I generally use a hoochie or even the wool and christal flash with gel for kokanee... saves on downtime changing up when you're on the bite.,,add gel and back in the water asap.
--I often don't use scent during the year but early season cold water or if the kokanee are not co-operating every trick in the book.

--I haven't used the pro-cure powder for cure so can't comment on how effective it is. 

--For kokanee addicts looking for a challenge there is a kokanee derby on Chelan mid April.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:19:53 AM by skaha »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 11:45:04 AM »

Pautzke FireCure has worked great because of the krill powder in it for that extra scent. A few years ago we tried both uncured and cured krills/shrimp at Kawkawa and it made a pretty big difference.