Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hypothetically speaking, if you had to choose...  (Read 6073 times)

Animal Chin

Re: Hypothetically speaking, if you had to choose...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »

Guess it comes down to personal preference.

I don't catch that many fish so I want to enjoy it as much as possible when I do. I find a good rod that I like..not necessarily expensive..with action I like increases the quality of fight/fish on. I also find the rod takes a lot of impact off line and hook, keeping fish on longer.

Cheap rods feel like a broomstick.

Most casting reels are smooth enough to play out line..and I use my thumb a lot so severe drag isn.t big deal. ymmv of course.

spinning I,d make sure to get best reel I can afford. all other forms i.d personally go rod first.

sbc hris

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 08:34:59 PM »

I bought a Fenwick Eagle GT rod from A&N for $85. I haven't made any decisions on the reel yet... Have $100 to spend...

Interested in a brand new Ambassadeur 6500 C3?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 10:21:17 PM »

I bought a Fenwick Eagle GT rod from A&N for $85. I haven't made any decisions on the reel yet... Have $100 to spend...

Pretty hard to go wrong with a good ol Abu Garcia 6500.

Sagefishr

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 10:40:54 PM »

If you can spend a bit more the daiwa lexa 100 is a sick low pro reel, smooth and relatively light for the price.  I think its around the $130usd mark.

Tenz85

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 09:03:55 AM »

The shimano caenan is around 110 and works well for casting and floating. The caius is 85 and is another adequate low pro reel. Abu has one that is around 60 which looked functional, I think it was the black max but I've never tried it.

As previous, depends how you plan to use it. If its your first decent rod/reel, I would grab a low pro reel.