Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time for a new wading jacket  (Read 11065 times)

ejeffrey

Re: Time for a new wading jacket
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 02:00:32 PM »

I bought the SST jacket at the start of this past salmon season. I am very happy with it. All the reviews I read on Patagonia were very good. I was out there for some seriously wet days this year and the jacket held up perfectly. I was always bone dry at the end of the day. I expect this jacket to last me many more seasons. The price listed on Steep&Cheep is quite good.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been away from the PC for a few days and will try to repond to all recent replies here.

sbc chris: In the event I order one from the states, I will double check with the maufacturer about the sizing prior to placing my order. I'm pretty sure a Simms US XL is the same as a Simms Canadian XL, but you never know. Best to check first.

zap b: I know a few people who like Frogg Toggs and I have looked at/tried on their jackets and waders before. I'm sure they are decent, but the Cabela's jacket I have now is also pretty decent and if I'm going to replace it I'm looking for a significant upgrade. IMO the quality of materials and craftsmanship is not at the level of Simms or Patagonia.

wonder: I don't care if the jacket is warm. Well, let me clairify that. I want to wear it year round so I want an uninsulated shell that breaths well. In the winter I'll layer up under it to keep toasty warm.

c-pin: I'm looking for a fishing specific jacket. I have a nice 3layer gortex shell from MEC that was around $400. I use it for skiing (layer underneath), hiking, rainy winters, etc. LOVE this jacket! However not the best for fishing as the chest pockets do not have much capacity, no rear pocket for fish/roe bags, etc. I don't wear a vest so the more functional my jacket is for gear the better.

Michaelt: maybe my buddy just had bad luck, but he's had his Bare jacket replaced twice under warranty in the last 2 years. He wishes he dropped the extra $100 or whatever for a Simms. Plus Bare sounds more like a condom brand than a fishing jacket... :o

baowu2

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 09:02:08 PM »

Is the website steep and cheap LEGIT?
Has anyone on this forum bought anything there before?
Was reading some reviews, quite a bit of people saying what they got was knock offs.... and terrible experience...

sbc hris

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 11:16:14 AM »

I've ordered from them a few times, and have friends that have as well. No problems so far.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 11:25:55 AM »

They are owned by backcountry.com which as far as I know is a legit company. I have ordered a few things from Backcountry with no issues.

ride604

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »

Backcountry.com and steepandcheap are legit, have ordered many times through them with no issues and great service, not sure where you got those reviews from but they sound like bs.