Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to meaasure trolling speed?  (Read 7115 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: How to meaasure trolling speed?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »

I have a smart phone (Samsung S4) but I often fish out of cell reception so it isn't much use.

GordJ, thanks good info in that response. Everything you said makes sense. The last thing I am wondering is when guys are fishing in the ocean etc, going with/against the tide and so on, how do they know how fast their gear is moving? I doubt they have something like the dinky Luhr Jensen trolling speed do-dad that drags in the water.

If this can't be measured by GPS or sonar, how do they know how fast they're moving over water? I was watching fishing show the othe day and they were trolling for kokanee. The host was talking about dialing in trolling speed and said he likes to troll between speed A and B. I forget what is was say 2.3-2.5 mph or something like that.

If one is going with/againt the current how are you to know how "fast" your gear is moving? IMO rod bend would be a realistic guess, however if fishing downriggers it would be harder to tell as the rod always has a good bend in it.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »

Samsung S4 indeed has it's own GPS.  "Canada Maps Free" is free and will show your speed of travel and is great for checking logging roads etc.

Maps can be cached and you do not need to be within cell reception.

It's free so doesn't hurt to try it.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »

Thanks for that cutthroat22 I'll check out this app. However, as pointed out by GordJ, this will NOT solve the issue to knowing one's speed relative to the water. It makes sense that however "fast" your gear is moving is what really counts. I suppouse if not fishing in any current then the speed given by the GPS would be a good place to start.