Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon baitcasting rod question.  (Read 9977 times)

G-Ratt

Re: Salmon baitcasting rod question.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »

A couple days ago i picked up a 10`6" 10-20lb Fenwick HMX from highwater.  I have zero complaints.  It is nice and light and was perfect for the couple early bluebacks I have caught recently.  I have mine paired with a c3 5500 and 12lb UG.  Great for spoon tossing.

A 10-20lb HMX is kinda heavy for bluebacks... And if you're talking about the Cap, they're most definitely not here yet.

Golfer

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »

A 10-20lb HMX is kinda heavy for bluebacks... And if you're talking about the Cap, they're most definitely not here yet.

It is a bit heavy, but I was tossing 3/4oz Kitimats, and the water was at 5-6, so I needed something bigger to get down lower. But I also use a 8`6" 6-10lb spinning rod in lower water for spoons and spinners.  There are definitely a few in the system, not in huge numbers, but enough for me to make the 5 minute ride from my house.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 03:52:17 PM »

I love KIAs (Know It Alls)...

Golfer: I have caught bluebacks recently
KIA: They are most definitely not here yet
Golfer: There are definitely a few in the system...
And Golfer wins the award for a most courteous and respectful response. :)   

G-Ratt

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 08:40:46 PM »

I love KIAs (Know It Alls)...

Golfer: I have caught bluebacks recently
KIA: They are most definitely not here yet
Golfer: There are definitely a few in the system...
And Golfer wins the award for a most courteous and respectful response. :)

Yeah, I'm a know it all, because thinking using a rod rated to 20 lbs for a 2-6 lb fish is silly is super secret info that only I possess.

As for the bluebacks, catching 2 in one outing this early in the season would be an extreme rarity. Especially tossing Kitimats of that size on this system.

And to quote many a KIA before me, PICS or it didn't happen.

Golfer

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 09:17:21 PM »

Yeah, I'm a know it all, because thinking using a rod rated to 20 lbs for a 2-6 lb fish is silly is super secret info that only I possess.

As for the bluebacks, catching 2 in one outing this early in the season would be an extreme rarity. Especially tossing Kitimats of that size on this system.

And to quote many a KIA before me, PICS or it didn't happen.

I never said they were caught in one outing.  They were caught over the period of 3 outings, of about 3 hours each.  I bought the HMX as a starter baitcaster rod that I can use throughout the coho and chum season. And the kitimat spoons are 2.375 inches long, which is by no means too big in high water.  No doubt the rod is a bit heavy for these fish, but I need it for when I go to the Skeena and Kitimat in september for the larger coho's.  I was fishing alone and released them so no pictures. Believe me or don't believe me, I don't care, I don't fish to please others.  Go to Highwater or another tackle shop, if you want assurance that they are in, or better yet try fishing there for yourself.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:21:57 PM by Golfer »

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 10:13:44 AM »

There are definitely a few cohos in the river system at this time, they may not be in the big numbers yet but there a coming.

G-ratt I've been fortunate enough to get multi cap coho days in early April as well. They just need to be there when you're there.

Daguru

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 11:10:45 AM »

Lol blue backs are definitely in the system. Caught one yesterday and the day before that

Adamski76

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 06:53:27 AM »

I also like the Trophy line of rods.
Good bang for the buck and probably made offshore no doubt.
Not sure about warranty but im sure as good as the other lower end rods mentioned.
I belive that Trophy rods are made locally in Pitt Meadows rececently looked at buying a Trophy Titan grate looking rod for your $ designed by Brian Babcock ...great warranty. Went instead with Loomis GL3 awesome rod.

Quinsam_Lose_Some

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 07:47:13 PM »

G-Ratt's first post Oct.27/13

Wouldn't it be easier to just quickly answer his question rather than getting all high and mighty and attacking him?

Some people (especially newer anglers) find the regulations confusing, and last time I checked this is a fishing forum where questions are encouraged.

LOL...my how we've changed! 6 months and 14 posts later and we're basically calling a guy a liar and dictating what size rod he should use!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:56:37 PM by Quinsam_Lose_Some »

losos

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »

I belive that Trophy rods are made locally in Pitt Meadows rececently looked at buying a Trophy Titan grate looking rod for your $ designed by Brian Babcock ...great warranty. Went instead with Loomis GL3 awesome rod.
What length is that Trophy ?

Adamski76

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2014, 10:14:08 PM »

10'6" based on Sage 2106

sbc hris

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 10:29:27 AM »

As far as I know Trophy rods are made overseas and distributed locally by Redl sports. Not bad rods though!

losos

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »

10'6" based on Sage 2106
Too bad he's still looking for 11-11.6' or perhaps longer.

Daguru

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »

11'6 technium. Good rod but alittle heavy unless targeting springs and chums. Also the fenwick elite tech 12' is pretty good to. I borrowed it for an outing and loved it

losos

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 10:22:18 PM »

11'6 technium. Good rod but alittle heavy unless targeting springs and chums. Also the fenwick elite tech 12' is pretty good to. I borrowed it for an outing and loved it
Were can you get 12' fenwick elite tech?