Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 4 or 5 weight fly rod?  (Read 18792 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: 4 or 5 weight fly rod?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 12:40:54 AM »

Can you fish dry flies well with a 5 wt?

I toss dry flies with spey rods  ;D

my lake setups are as follows

4wt 10'
4wt 9'
5wt 9'

the 5wt is now the backup since I got a second 4wt (the 10'). I prefer the 4wt's myself and I mostly just indicator fish on lakes, its nice and civilized and allows me to drink beer, eat snacks, take pictures.........etc

I'll stick anything under a bobber  ???
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »

You really need to visit a good tackle shop and talk about specific rods. I have three 5 weight rods and each is different from the other. Length of the rod, stiffness, particularly in the lower half of the rod will vary quite a bit between different rods in the same weight category. I think you likely will better off with a #5 which is a very good all round size for trout fishing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »

I agree with RalphH. Five wt is pretty much the best fly rod you can buy for trout fishing.

sandy999

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 11:18:38 AM »

I have owned many rods over the years. My first piece of advice is-the very old saying that you usually only get what you pay for-of coarse, every once in a while a good deal comes along. My second piece of advice is there is not and never will be a single rod that you can buy that is all purpose. My sincere advice is a 4wt. is just a super rod for lake fishing especially if you are fishing from a boat. Distance casting is usually not a problem just position your boat so that the wind is at your back. As far as river fishing goes if you are fishing for trout the 4 will work. I feel the perfect rod for larger fish is a 7wt. The 5wt and the 6wt are really great rods depending on the specie that you are targeting-just buy the highest quality that you can afford.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »

All this talk about fly rods makes me want to go buy a new one  :'(
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Ryanx

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 09:56:37 PM »

I'll vote get a 4 wt.. But buy a reel and line first and try it on every 4 wt the shop has.
There's a bigger difference in brands and rod  actions than there is in line weight.
A sage 4 wt tcx and a 4 wt Winston b2t have almost nothing in common.. These are top of the line rods and probably over budget but just an example.
You really do have to try a couple rods to find out what you like!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »

Remember, the weight of the rod (4 vs. 5) is not the only factor, if at all, when determining a rod's "delicacy".  The "delicacy" of the rod also is influenced by its "action".  I currently fish with two 5 wt Sage rods for trout.  My 590 SLT is very smooth and "delicate", and is perfect for dry line chironomid techniques.  My SLT allows me to slow down and open up my casts while tossing a 20+ foot leader.  My other trout rod is a 590 VPS (which is Sage's RPL blank).  The VPS is a nice rod with a faster action than my SLT.  Casts like a rocket, but also feels like a "telephone pole" compared to my SLT.  Not a fair description, as the VPS is a nice rod indeed.  I've also casted the Z-Axis 590, and it casts a mile as well, but I much prefer my SLT for "soft" casting and delicate presentations.

Good luck and have fun!!!   :)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:13 PM »

Remember, the weight of the rod (4 vs. 5) is not the only factor, if at all, when determining a rod's "delicacy".  The "delicacy" of the rod also is influenced by its "action".  I currently fish with two 5 wt Sage rods for trout.  My 590 SLT is very smooth and "delicate", and is perfect for dry line chironomid techniques.  My SLT allows me to slow down and open up my casts while tossing a 20+ foot leader.  My other trout rod is a 590 VPS (which is Sage's RPL blank).  The VPS is a nice rod with a faster action than my SLT.  Casts like a rocket, but also feels like a "telephone pole" compared to my SLT.  Not a fair description, as the VPS is a nice rod indeed.  I've also casted the Z-Axis 590, and it casts a mile as well, but I much prefer my SLT for "soft" casting and delicate presentations.

Good luck and have fun!!!   :)

problem is the VPS, Z-Axis, One and a few others by Sage are fast/ultra fast action which means only the top 1/3rd of the rod actually does the work while casting. These rods will give you a lot of lower end power when you need it though. Your SLT sounds like a moderate/mod fast meaning it should flex deeper towards the cork and you may find you "have to" slow down to allow the line to lay out before changing direction. I notice this mostly when I'm playing with new spey rods and prefer the slower full flexing rods as well  :)

Each rod has its place, and I to prefer slower single handers when I'm tossing indicator rigs, for sink type lines a fast action is better because it can give you the distance needed quickly.

Enjoy your trip to Tunkwa/Leighton this weekend FFM  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 10:27:01 PM »

Thanks Hook!  And good luck to you as well!   :)