Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanting advice on new baitcasting rod  (Read 44764 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Wanting advice on new baitcasting rod
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 10:53:06 PM »

I think to answer your question you need to ask yourself what species, and water, would you be targeting with this "new" rod?  If you're mainly targeting coho and steelhead, with the odd spring in the mix in the Vedder, then I would recommend a medium power rod (8 - 17 lb).  The Sage 2106 is in that category, and it is a sweet rod indeed!  If you're looking at primarily targeting springs and chum, then go with a heavier line rating.

I've got a Looms GL2 STR 1264 C that has a line rating of 8 - 12 lb, and I've used this rod mainly for coho and steelhead.  It does have the backbone to fight chum and springs as well, but this wouldn't be my first choice for targeting the larger salmon.  The GL2 is a good rod and it comes with a warranty.  However, it does not compare to my factory Sage 2106.  My Sage is far more sensitive, feels much lighter in hand, has decent backbone to battle the odd spring, and is forgiving enough not to break off light leaders when fighting chrome bullet fish that are flailing like crazy close to shore.  Sage uses the term "fishability" and I believe they have engineered this into their rods!  Also, I would consider a factory rod over a custom rod.  Sage dresses its rods beautifully, and if it breaks - it gets replaced (minus the warranty fee) which beats having to get the rod rebuilt at your own expense.  Both Stratocaster and I have broken our 2106 rods and had them replaced - so having that warranty for a factory rod was great.

If you can't afford a Sage, then I would recommend the Loomis GL2 as a good rod at a moderate price point.  Good luck!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 11:37:38 PM »

Thank you very much FFM  :) I plan to use the rod mainly for coho and steehead, as well as pinks and chum. The odd spring as well, but if targeting them specifically them I'd bring out the big 11"6 Technium in 12-25lb line rating. I can turn the biggest/ulgliest hawg with this rod no problem!

I'll mainly be using the rod on the Vedder. The water I mainly fish is generally lower river, using a lots of jigs etc. If heading up river to faster water I'll bring the above beef stick and one of my bigger reels.

I checked out the GL2 STR 1264 C in 8-12 line rating. I see it is a 10"6 rod, with 8-12 line rating as you said, 3/8-3/4 lure rating, moderate action, medium power. MSRP $275.

What do you think of it compared to the 1363S? It's 11"4, 8-12lb line rating, 1/4 - 3/4 lure rating, moderate/fast action, medium light power. MSRP $365

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/conventional/rods/salmon___steelhead/float.html

I see 1363 is 10 inches longer, same line rating, very similar lure rating, and has a faster action. It also costs $90 more!

Which one do you think would have more hook setting power, etc? Price aside, which one would you go with if you were me? You have to admit the red color on the 1363 is pretty damn sharp too :)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 12:46:15 PM »

So instead of going to the gym before work this morning I spent most of the time researching baitcasting rods ;D I found I really good old thread on this site on the Sage 2106 and if it is the "best" rod out there for coho, steelhead, etc.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22798.0

Does anyone know where I can find info on the specs of diffeent Sage gear rods? I went to Sage's website, and they have nothing! Only fly rods...wtf?

Seems like a LOT of people reccoemend the Sage 2106 for what I'm looking for, as well as the 3106. However I would liek to find some specs on these rods and compare them to the Gloomis and other rods I've been looking at.

Also, does anyone know the difference between Gloomis's GL2 and GL3 rods? (aside from the extra $70)

Going strictly from what I've been reading on the forums and specs on the manufacturer's website, the rods I am liking are:

Gloomis STFR 1363S, 11"4, 8-12 line, 1/4-3/4 lure, med/light power, mod/fast action
Gloomis STR 1264, 10"6, 8-12 line, 3/8-3/4 lure, medium power, moderate action
Gloomis GL3 1263, 10"6, 6-12 line, 3/8-3/4 line, medium power, fast action (and the same rod in GL2 for $70 less)
Gloomis GL3 1445C (seems you cant buy this rod new any more, not on Gloomis website)
Sage 2106
Sage 3106 (can'tfind specs on either rod)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:07:50 PM by Spawn Sack »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »

You won't find specs on the Sage gear rods on the Sage website because they discontinued making them a few years ago!  However, I believe Sage brought them back specifically for BC.  Fred's, Searun, and other local shops sell them, and Brian Babcock has the contract from Sage to build and deal the factory rods up here.  Otherwise, these rods are not normally available in other areas (i.e. US) which is why you won't find information on them Sage's website.  From what I know, they are the same as what Sage put out a few years ago.  Dark green blanks, and gold wraps.  Beautiful rods.

I wouldn't go with a 3106 if you were mainly targeting coho or steelhead in local rivers like the Vedder/Chilliwack.  Don't get me wrong.  The 3106 is a beautiful rod.  My buddy Stratocaster has one, but he uses it primarily for springs and big water like the Fraser.

The GL3 blanks are lighter and higher modulus graphite then the GL2 series, meaning that they are faster action blanks.  Faster isn't necessarily better for gear rods IMHO.  For fly casting, I find faster action rods better for tossing heavy sink tips, but this does not apply to gear rods of course.  A faster action rod will give you a better initial hook set, but I can see a disadvantage if the rod is "too fast".  You could pull out a lot of hooks if you fight a fish too hard.  I prefer a more moderate action for gear.  Just my 50 cents worth.

I haven't checked out the Loomis 1363S you mentioned above, but it looks like its handle is designed for single action/centre pin reels from reviewing the site you posted.

Cheers.   :)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 04:00:38 PM »

Well that makes sense! I've been looking everywhere on the net and can't find any specs ??? Do you by chance have the specs on the 2106 and 3106? I head what you're saying about the 3106 so it's the 2106 I'm mainly interested in. I'm not sure what they go for new but almost definitely more than I'm looking to pay new. I'll nose around for a used one online and if no luck either save up my beans and buy one later in the year, or go with a cheaper rod like a Gloomis, etc.

On a bit of a tangent, what do you look for in a used rod? As far as I know you want to check the guides with a q-tip (or razor? I've heard of this too although not sure how it's done) and make sure there are no cracked guides. As long as the rod appeared otherwise in good condition I'd buy it if the price were right.

Anyway back on topic, FFM thanks for the tips on rod action, that make sense. I like my convergence in 10-20lb line rating but I find the slow action makes getting a solid hook set a bugger at times. However I like the deep bend with a fish on. I agree a compromise somewhere around moderate action would likely be what I want in my next rod.

Opps I ddin't notice the 1363S was a center pin rod ::) What do you think of the G/L 1263 GL2/GL3? They are both 10"6 like your 1264, however the line rating is 6-12 and the action is fast. I'm thinking the 1264 is better suited to my purposes, although it doesn't appear that it comes in GL3. Oh wait looking at the specs it appears that the 1264 is a C/P rod only, no? :-\

Apparently the G/L GL3 1445C (12", 8-17lb line) is a great rod in this category but discontinued. and hard to find.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:38:04 PM by Spawn Sack »

Silex-user

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 06:31:12 PM »

Spawn Sack, back in 80's and 90's Sage drift rod blanks came out with 2 type of GSH2106 there were 2106B  6-15lbs Fast Action Steelhead and Salmon Blanks and 2106LB 6-12lbs Moderate Action Steelhead and Salmon Blanks.

Same thing with 3106's .......GSH3106LB 6-15lbs  and GSH3106B 6-20lbs.

I have Custom built Sage rods (Brian Bacock and Brian Ford) as far back to late 80's to present era 3113M custom build CP Sage rod by Brian Ford. I also have G.Loomis IM6 blanks custom built rods too. Yes they expensive but power and lightness are unbelievable.

I am not sure what the new G.Loomis GL rods are like.

I do have couple old Sage Blank 1992 Catalogs.

I hope this answer your question. :)

Silex-user

norm_2

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »

Hi Spawn Sack.  I know how difficult it is to buy a rod when you do not have a chance to fish it.   I had a very old 8-17lb Convergence for many years.  I had a 1263GL2 for many years.  I have a 1263GL3 which I used for a year.  The difference between the action of a GL2 and GL3 are totally different.  I am currently using a 1263 Rainshadow.  Of those I have used, the Rainshadow is the best as it is light, sensitive and has too much butt strength even though it is an 8-12lb I believe.  It is what I use for steelhead to springs on the Vedder.  I mostly use 10 or 8lb leader but sometimes have gone to a 15lb or even 17 in faster water for springs.  The action is very good for the Vedder.  Although I have not fished a Sage 2106, I believe the action is close.  One difference is the Rainshadow is about 2/3 the physical weight of a 2106.  And another maybe the breakage brought up earlier.  I have not broken the Rainshadow and even though I try to be careful, sometimes I get carried away and there is a beyond serious bend in the rod when I am beaching a fish in an awkward spot.  Good luck.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »

Spawn Sack, back in 80's and 90's Sage drift rod blanks came out with 2 type of GSH2106 there were 2106B  6-15lbs Fast Action Steelhead and Salmon Blanks and 2106LB 6-12lbs Moderate Action Steelhead and Salmon Blanks.

Same thing with 3106's .......GSH3106LB 6-15lbs  and GSH3106B 6-20lbs.

I have Custom built Sage rods (Brian Bacock and Brian Ford) as far back to late 80's to present era 3113M custom build CP Sage rod by Brian Ford. I also have G.Loomis IM6 blanks custom built rods too. Yes they expensive but power and lightness are unbelievable.

I am not sure what the new G.Loomis GL rods are like.

I do have couple old Sage Blank 1992 Catalogs.

I hope this answer your question. :)

Silex-user

Thank you very much. For my purposes would you reccomend the 2106 in B or LB? From what I know about rod specs and from what others have commented on this site, the LB would be the way to go for floatfishing on the waters I frequent most often.

If I am lucky enough to own such a rod I'll probably keep scouting around online and try to find a used one in very good condition. I found a few but they were all set up for center pins ??? For kicks I'd like to price out a new one. Where would you guys reccomend? Sea Run is my go to store although I live in Chilliwack.

In the unlikely event someone has one they'd like to sell it would go to a good home as I fish all the time and take very good care of my s**t. Especially my fishing rods/reels!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »

Hi Spawn Sack.  I know how difficult it is to buy a rod when you do not have a chance to fish it.   I had a very old 8-17lb Convergence for many years.  I had a 1263GL2 for many years.  I have a 1263GL3 which I used for a year.  The difference between the action of a GL2 and GL3 are totally different.  I am currently using a 1263 Rainshadow.  Of those I have used, the Rainshadow is the best as it is light, sensitive and has too much butt strength even though it is an 8-12lb I believe.  It is what I use for steelhead to springs on the Vedder.  I mostly use 10 or 8lb leader but sometimes have gone to a 15lb or even 17 in faster water for springs.  The action is very good for the Vedder.  Although I have not fished a Sage 2106, I believe the action is close.  One difference is the Rainshadow is about 2/3 the physical weight of a 2106.  And another maybe the breakage brought up earlier.  I have not broken the Rainshadow and even though I try to be careful, sometimes I get carried away and there is a beyond serious bend in the rod when I am beaching a fish in an awkward spot.  Good luck.

Hmmm...I'll have to check out these rainshadow rods. As far as the GL2 Vs. GL3, which do you like better for the Vedder? Have you heard of Fetha Styx Chrome? According to Spoonman on page 1 of this thread they are built on rainshadow blanks. They are also pretty affordable. I like the looks of the FS-St-1063. Any opinion on these rods?

http://www.fethastyx.com/shop/Chrome/Steelhead

I'm also seriously looking at Gloomis' 1263 GL3 (6-12 line) although I'm not really sure if the fast action is well suited for my purposes.

Also like the Gloomis STFR 1363 (8-12 line) although the medium/light power rating has me wondering if it has enough power for what I want. Perhaps the moderate/fast action would make up for this? I know with my Convergence in 10-20lb line it's great with a fish on but the slow action makes it hard to get a good hook set at times.

Silex-user

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 10:29:41 PM »

Hey Spawn Sack if I was to choose which Sage GSH 2106 baitcast drift rod for the Chillwack-Vedder I would choose the stiffer 2106B. I was told by Brain Bacock back then (26 years ago) the LB was slower action rod more suited for Center-pin reel. I do have a GSH2106LB and I pair it up to my Trudex II 2550 C-Pin reel which is light action comb. for liking for low clear water condition.

I do not have GSH2106B but do have GSH 4120B and GSH 3106B.

My go to rods are my GSH 3113LB, GSH 3113MB and the new 3113M CT Gear for all my C-pin reels. It sure night and days difference now compare when I first started using my Hardy TEN-TEN float drift fishing rod back 38 years ago and now with my Sage rods.  :)  ;D

Silex-user

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 10:33:02 PM »

Well that makes sense! I've been looking everywhere on the net and can't find any specs ??? Do you by chance have the specs on the 2106 and 3106? I head what you're saying about the 3106 so it's the 2106 I'm mainly interested in. I'm not sure what they go for new but almost definitely more than I'm looking to pay new. I'll nose around for a used one online and if no luck either save up my beans and buy one later in the year, or go with a cheaper rod like a Gloomis, etc.

On a bit of a tangent, what do you look for in a used rod? As far as I know you want to check the guides with a q-tip (or razor? I've heard of this too although not sure how it's done) and make sure there are no cracked guides. As long as the rod appeared otherwise in good condition I'd buy it if the price were right.

Anyway back on topic, FFM thanks for the tips on rod action, that make sense. I like my convergence in 10-20lb line rating but I find the slow action makes getting a solid hook set a bugger at times. However I like the deep bend with a fish on. I agree a compromise somewhere around moderate action would likely be what I want in my next rod.

Opps I ddin't notice the 1363S was a center pin rod ::) What do you think of the G/L 1263 GL2/GL3? They are both 10"6 like your 1264, however the line rating is 6-12 and the action is fast. I'm thinking the 1264 is better suited to my purposes, although it doesn't appear that it comes in GL3. Oh wait looking at the specs it appears that the 1264 is a C/P rod only, no? :-\

Apparently the G/L GL3 1445C (12", 8-17lb line) is a great rod in this category but discontinued. and hard to find.

My Loomis rod is the GL2 STR 1264 C and it has a trigger handle (i.e. baitcaster reel seat).  It's actually a maroon/burgundy coloured rod, but a friend of mine bought the same rod a year ago and it now comes as a dark blue coloured rod.

norm_2

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »

I have not used the Fetha rods.  The GL2 has a slower action.  The GL3 has a faster action.  It depends on what you like.  If you are interested in a used GL3, email me at norm1745@hotmail.com.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »

Whew! I read back over this entire thread and made some notes as trying to remember all the info was giving me a nose bleed.

One thing I have been noticing with rod ratings is the line rating does not always correspond with the power rating. For example, my 10-20lb line Convergence is a medium power. The Gloomis GL2 1263C is a medium power but has a line rating of 6-12lb :o Then there is the Gloomis STFR 1363S with a 8-12 line rating, but only med/light power. What the heck? Obviously there is something I'm not quite getting...

FFM: It appears that your 1264 now only comes with a center pin handle. So that's out as an option for baitcasting. And you mentioned that the 1363S has a center pin only handle. I am having trouble with Gloomis' website right now and can't get the handle pics to load, but I'm pretty sure when I looked before it came with a bait caster handle. I'll double check later from home.

Assuming the 1363S has an appropriate handle, which of the three would you go if you were me?

STFR 1363: 11"4, 8-12 line, 1/4-3/4 line, med/light power, mod/fast action
GL3 1263: 10"6, 6-12 line, 3/8-3/4 line, med power, fast action
GL2: exact same specs as GL3 except MSRP of $70 less **apparently GL2 is "slower" than GL3 despite same action rating**

I like the looks of the 1363, although the med/light power has me a bit nervous.
I like the looks of the 1263 in GL2 and GL3 although the fast action has me a bit nervous.

I appreciate all the Sage info Silex-user and others. The next time I'm in Fred's or SeaRun I will price them out. From there I'll have to decide if I want a new cheaper rod now, or hold off and get a Sage later. Thanks for all the info guys appreciate it  :)

Norm_2: email sent to your hotmail account.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 05:56:39 PM by Spawn Sack »

Nitroholic

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 06:21:57 PM »

1363S is a spinning rod if you haven't figured that out already

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »

...don't get too hung up on the numbers...line rating, power ,and action are separate and distinct qualities that are subjective and not really comparable between brands or even different models by the same maker.....touchy/feely is a big part of it...borrow some rods if possible...go to tackle shops and shake some sticks .......take a weight on some line to do a static load comparison.....trial and error is involved and you may end up with something you dont't like...better off doing it with a low to mid price rod while looking for that sweet to you feel before blowing the bank...don't rule out looking at rods(fenwick/berkley/okuma) closer to the $100-$150 mark.......the fish don't care what make or how much you paid....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart