Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rezoning in Chilliwack for Hazardous Waste Recycling Station  (Read 50789 times)

islanddude

Re: Rezoning in Chilliwack for Hazardous Waste Recycling Station
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »

Hi Chris.
  Sounds like the proposal for site permit to dispose of contaminated soil at Upland's pit. This gravel and rock quarry is located at the top of the watershed of Cold creek which is used at the Quinsam fish hatchery.
 Doesn't anyone have a conscience any more or is money the sole goal today.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »

Up to the ministry of environment now... I was here today, and didn't even know that was the location.

islanddude

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2014, 09:22:15 PM »

Money talks and common sense walks.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2015, 11:30:43 PM »

What other suitable locations? So far I haven't read any suggestions from environmentalists. Mark Angelo says they exist but where are they? There are creeks, rivers and sloughs everywhere in the Lower Mainland. In addition, potential sites would also be close to residential areas or farmland, so where do you draw the line? If you read comments on other boards they say that the facility shouldn't be located in any watersheds.  WTF does that mean? Everything in this province is part of one watershed or another. Rivers like the Vedder flow into the Fraser so that would be off limits according to this rationale. How close is too close?  When you read some of the comments from critics in the media they don't want it in Chilliwack period as mercury emissions have been brought up.

Environmentalists have started to highlight these emissions, as well as potential leakage and spills; however, the alternative of having these bulbs with mercury in landfills is far worse for the environment (leaching toxins into landfills or a forest service road near you) so again I have to shake my head at environmentalists that seem to just say "No" and wonder if they know what they are really protesting.  Is it about the proposed location near the Fraser River or is it about the people of Chilliwack and area not wanting the facility at all - anywhere in it's boundaries, whether it is close to the Fraser or not?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:54:17 AM by shuswapsteve »

buck

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2015, 09:15:09 AM »

It is interesting that First Nations is opposing the Aevitas Facility, while at the same time they operate 2 large dump sites on the banks of the Fraser River near Chilliwack.
Who knows what is leaching into the Fraser and water aquifer. I don't hear any environmentalists opposing dump sites such as these which are so close to the river.
Dump sites and gravel removal seem to go hand in hand these days with little or no opposition from groups that say they cherish the Fraser River.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2015, 10:45:22 AM »

It is interesting that First Nations is opposing the Aevitas Facility, while at the same time they operate 2 large dump sites on the banks of the Fraser River near Chilliwack.
Who knows what is leaching into the Fraser and water aquifer. I don't hear any environmentalists opposing dump sites such as these which are so close to the river.
Dump sites and gravel removal seem to go hand in hand these days with little or no opposition from groups that say they cherish the Fraser River.
Also interesting is the fact FN have been OK with the development and usage of that property for over 40 years ... now all of a sudden it has cultural significance.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2015, 10:46:51 AM »

Points taken and we ALL need to do more to help save our rivers from any pollution and habitat distruction that has and is taking place. This article from today's Vancouver Sun is timely I think. http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Opinion+upstream+battle+save+rivers/10793825/story.html