Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jig fishing for steelhead  (Read 17175 times)

CoastRider

Re: Jig fishing for steelhead
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 09:40:29 PM »

Another thing he stressed, was that he liked to reel down into the fish, rather than setting the hook, as the weight on the jig could dislodge the hook on a hookset. Had a few trips on the Stamp with him and it seemed to work like magic.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 12:15:45 AM »

Not positive on this.. but I think last year was a relatively tough year for steelhead.

That's my excuse anyway.

Haha! Me too!!...tough season...yuppers...

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 12:23:10 AM »

An interesting technique Matt Guiguet always used was fishing jigs with a spin casting reel. He felt that it was easier to cast when you are fishing 6-8 feet from float to jig and that it allowed for a more drag free drift. He would use braided line down to the leader because it floats and allows you to keep the line off the water, and he would open the bail and pump the rod to allow line to spool out freely. I saw an episode of sport fishing BC where he took Pendlington on the stamp using this technique.

huh...I'll have to do a utube search for this and see it for myself. Doesn't make sense to me how this would be advantageous at all. For TWITCHING jigs I know a spinning reel works great...but for float fishing?! I've tried float fishing with a spinning reel and IMO it sucks. I get a much nicer drag free drift with my baitcaster, and although I don't center-pin I know several guys who love them for floating jigs.

I remember from Rod from Bent Rods jig seminar rules of thumb: level wind or center pin, shorter leader max 2 feet generally 1-1.5 feet for steelhead, keep the damn jig off the bottom!, try to get a nice drag free drift on your float.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:28 AM »

Another thing he stressed, was that he liked to reel down into the fish, rather than setting the hook, as the weight on the jig could dislodge the hook on a hookset. Had a few trips on the Stamp with him and it seemed to work like magic.

Interesting...I've never had a jig pop out on a hook set (I normally hammer it for all I'm worth) BUT I have started to reel down a bit first before setting the hook as often I'm "high sticking" to keep my mainline off the water, so there isn't much room left for my rod to go back on the hookset. If my float is a ways down stream not as much of a problem as I lower my rod tip at this point, but if my float is across from me (shortly after casting) and my rod tip is up high and the float goes under, I find it better to give a few quick reels and then drive the hook set.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 12:36:45 AM »

Alright, so I FINALLY had a chance this evening to tie up some new steelhead jigs. I only tied 5 jigs in about 3 hours, but it was mostly because I was sitting at my desk with my binder of notes/handouts from the tying classes I've attended, coming up with ideas, then going through materials and deciding what to use, etc. Each jig took no more than 10-15 min to tie. Now...I have no idea if any of these jigs are actually going to catch a steelhead, as I have never caught a s/h on a jig. However they 3 of the 5 are based on effective intruder patterns, and the other 2 are just variations I made of the nightmare jig.

If anyone wants to know what I used in any of the jigs, how to tie them, etc, just ask. I'd also welcome any comments/criticism as these are the first jigs I've tied up that are specifically for steelhead. Normally I tie pretty basic jigs for pinks, coho, chum etc like polar chenile body, schlappen colar, etc. These ones are a fair bit more complex to say the least!

brandooner

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 11:48:11 AM »

level wind or center pin, shorter leader max 2 feet generally 1-1.5 feet for steelhead, keep the damn jig off the bottom!, try to get a nice drag free drift on your float.

Is that from float to jig? Nice jigs by the way Spawnsack!
The Fishin' Musician!

CoastRider

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 12:25:24 PM »

Those are some creative patterns! well done, especially like the last one!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »

Your jigs look pretty good to me and I'm one of those guys that never fish them  ;)

I just wanted to add that on a jig I wouldn't use a fox spun "prop", most of the time your dead drifting jigs which means your materials will open up and move well in the current on their own. The main reason to use fox to prop materials in flies is because they are swung "under tension" and without the fox the materials would collapse into a thin little nothing with almost no movement.

If you want to try the fox then I suggest tying 1 and take it to the river and see how it acts when its dead drifted. I bet it opens up so much so that it becomes more of a fur ball then anything else and doesn't have much flowing movement to it.

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »

Great looking jigs.  Way more creative than the ones I have been imagining, purple/black and red, red/black, white pink and orange.

What one has the fox fur.  The forth one with the white body?

Did you buy all your materials separately or did you find a kit with most of the stuff already  put together?

Also what is the head on the last jig, it looks different.

Thanks!

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »

2nd to last would put multiple fish to the bank tying recipe available ?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 02:54:33 PM »

Not sure color really matters that much. I have caught Vedder steelies on:
red over black
white over orange
black over purple over fuschia
purple over fuschia
fuschia over chartreuse
black over blue

I prefer using straight cut rabbit for the body - it stands out better, and nice webby schlappen for the head.
Marabou doesn't flare well in faster/choppy water so I don't use if for Steelhead. Yes for Chum and Coho though.

If fished at a dead drift in walking speed water the fish really shouldn't see the head.
Jig head colours are for catching fishermen - I have caught just about as many fish on plain lead heads as I have on metal or painted heads.

TYPHOON, just to confirm, by "A" over "B", do you mean, in the example of "red over black," say red schlappen over black rabbit. I guess my question rephrased is, is the "over" material the collar, and the first material the body? So with the second example say white schlappen collar and orange rabbit (or polar chenile, etc) body?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »

Is that from float to jig? Nice jigs by the way Spawnsack!

I'm talking about the leader length, which is the swivel to the jig. The float to the jig could vary a lot depending on the water depth. Leader length is pretty consistent - max 2 feet and commonly 14-16 inches for s/h.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »

2nd to last would put multiple fish to the bank tying recipe available ?

For sure! This jig is based on the "prom dress" intrudr fly is learned at Sea Run. The fly/jig are very easy to tie compared to others, and materials are cheap too.

I used a 1/4oz lead head on a 1/0 hook (Bent Rod pack from Fred's). The body is UV ploar chenile in silver. Tie in at the tail and wrap to the head. I scruff out the body with a velcro brush after tying off in case any fibers are trapped. Next tie in some blue flashabou (5-10 strands) and trim a bit past the end of the hook. The collar is black marabou. I tied in butt first and did not strip one side. You could strip one side if you want it to be sparser. 2-3 wraps of marabou and tie off!

If you need more detail I can take step by step pics next time I tie one up and email you them.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »

Great looking jigs.  Way more creative than the ones I have been imagining, purple/black and red, red/black, white pink and orange.

What one has the fox fur.  The forth one with the white body?

Did you buy all your materials separately or did you find a kit with most of the stuff already  put together?

Also what is the head on the last jig, it looks different.

Thanks!

For these ones I didn't use fox at all. However for the 3rd one down with the chartreuse in it I did do a seal dubbing butt before rea etc.

HOOK thanks for the tip about not using a fox tail bump for jigs that makes sense how it's not necessary and perhaps even a bad thing for jigs. Makes sense and I never thought of that :)

Yes I bought all my materials etc seperatly IMO the fly tying "kits" are crap and you'd be better off buying a used vise and the materials as you need them.

The last head is a 3/8oz lead head. They are "bullet" heads I think, just a diff shape. I'm not too crazy on them as the head goes far back on the hook shank so there is not much room to add materials.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 06:02:57 PM »

TYPHOON, just to confirm, by "A" over "B", do you mean, in the example of "red over black," say red schlappen over black rabbit. I guess my question rephrased is, is the "over" material the collar, and the first material the body? So with the second example say white schlappen collar and orange rabbit (or polar chenile, etc) body?
Yes.