Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing With Bent Rod - How to catch Chum Salmon on Jigs  (Read 9315 times)

capman

Re: Fishing With Bent Rod - How to catch Chum Salmon on Jigs
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »

I've been fortunate to had Rod as a my fishing guide in several occasions. He is not only a great rod but extremely ethical fisherman and very knowledgeable as how to handle fish properly. As mentioned, he kept the fish that was pulled into the rocks. He is also experienced enough to know if the fish is a coho or chum before bringing it close to the shore.

MoeJKU

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 04:56:56 PM »

I've been fortunate to had Rod as a my fishing guide in several occasions. He is not only a great rod but extremely ethical fisherman and very knowledgeable as how to handle fish properly. As mentioned, he kept the fish that was pulled into the rocks. He is also experienced enough to know if the fish is a coho or chum before bringing it close to the shore.

I can attest to him knowing what type of fish it is before it gets to shore. Also i can say you can usually tell if its hatch  or wild. As there is an extra fin or its gone. its not to hard to tell if you know what your looking for, or are actually looking for it.

purple monster

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 06:26:36 PM »

I must apologize for my straight forward tone,  but expecting a professional video, I was a bit surprised from the handling of the fish.   Wild, hatchery, coho or chum, I still think being in the water deep enough, with a net or on the boat, we should restrict from dragging fishes on the rock as much as possible.  Not such a good example, in my opinion.  Again, sorry about the quick posting.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »

If you know anything about Rod you wouldn't be questioning anything.
He is the king of ethics 8)
The Fishin Musician

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »

you are posting links to images from bcfishing reports forum.... that requires login information for viewing pictures, and you can only view them on that forum i think.
try using imgur.com to host photos, or photobucket.com

Thanks for the explanation, appreciated.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 06:27:10 AM »

The only fish that hit the rocks was killed with a rock Mr Purple Monster, but I appreciate the attention you bring, keep up the good work.
Any fish not being killed is not brought onto any rocks. As for species like Coho, we net those for identification and release. Chums do not take well to being netted and I avoid that debacle at all costs, probably why I almost never fish Chums from the boat.

Maybe this video will give you more ammo Purple, I mean we were sticking Coho in the mouth with hooks, very evil we are  :'(.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsU2vI56Kls
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

purple monster

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »

Don't get too personal or offended.   Your methods of landing fish within the rocks surprised me, that's all.  I does matter to me what kind of fish it is.   I see a lot of fishes landed on the rocks at this location.  Good example is always needed. 

fishman254

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 07:28:24 AM »

I love how he actually explains when to use lead-head jigs over pin-head... Lead heads are for when your using a net, because a thrashing fish in a net can snag a pin-head and rip the jig apart. Makes perfect sense.
I've found BentRods has the best jigs for chums.
So true about the bead-head with net. No net, no problems with bead-heads.

fishman254

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 07:30:12 AM »

If I am not mistaken, that is the Harrison River. I will give these jigs a shot tomorrow on the stave. The jigs look great and very well made.
His "Purpletrator" was hot for me on the Stave last week.