Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Pink Commercial Seine fishery  (Read 15465 times)

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
Re: Squamish Pink Commercial Seine fishery
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »

no boats fishing in howe sound yet today.

I hope not as the fishery closed last night. Observed 4 seiners in the Sound yesterday.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »

then they only fished 2 days,only 2 boats supposed to be fishing per day.hope they dident damage the run.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 08:44:29 PM »

The fishery didn't affect the fishing on the Squamish, nor on Furry Creek for that matter.
It was steady action most of the day today.

StillAqua

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 09:13:52 PM »

http://www.squamishchief.com/article/20130823/SQUAMISH0101/130829974/-1/squamish/commercial-fisheries-opened-in-howe-sound

Commercial fishing opened in Howe Sound
DFO conducting three-day catch with an eye toward future possibilities

AUGUST 23, 2013

REBECCA ALDOUS
RALDOUS@SQUAMISHCHIEF.COM
For the first time in half a century, commercial fishing vessels were scooping salmon out of Howe Sound this week.
Starting on Thursday (Aug. 22), the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) opened up an exploratory fishery for the area, said Herb Redekopp, DFO's chief of conservation and protection for the Lower Fraser. The goal of the three-day opening is to assess the strength of the pink salmon run travelling to the Squamish River.
“They felt like the runs were quite abundant,” he said.
It's an historic event, Redekopp noted. The last time commercial boats dipped their nets into the sound's water was in 1962. Throughout the trial, only two boats are allowed to fish at a time. They must use seine nets which encircle the fish and scoop them out of the sea. The equipment promotes better survival rates by helping fishers return unwanted fish caught in the haul, Redekopp noted.
DFO officials discussed recreation fishing and Squamish Nation representatives before going ahead with the experiment, Redekopp said. Each vessel has an independent observer aboard to monitor the vessel's take and any unwanted catch.
“They are quite pleased at the number of pinks the boats have been able to catch,” Redekopp said.
Once the final haul is in, numbers will be crunched and DFO officials will determine the possibility of opening up future pink runs to the commercial industry. Redekopp anticipates the report will be complete next week.
“I think this is a very unique opportunity,” he said.
Squamish Streamkeepers member John Buchanan went out to chat with the fishing vessels' crew on Friday (Aug. 23). The crew aboard the vessel Istra were aware of Howe Sound's environmental improvements and the return of sea life to the sound over the past decade, he said.
“They were pretty excited,” Buchanan said.
One vessel had packed its hold to the halfway mark with 25,000 pink salmon, he said. At the time, the independent observer recorded one Coho salmon accidently snagged in the load.
As long as it's done correctly, Buchanan said he's not against commercial fishing.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 10:15:20 PM »

Ah the good ol days, she still looks good with a jag on though. :D

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »

The results from the commercial opening were 282, 000 pinks harvested an a bycatch of less than 30 other salmon species. Evidently a very clean fishery and another opening is being considered.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »

On a side note, there are record breaking Pink catches in Area 12 recently....88,275 on August 28th.  Today, Fraser Pink numbers have been upgraded again...now at 16 million.

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2013/NewsRelease09.pdf
http://www.psc.org/TestFish/Area12PSsummary.PDF

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 11:06:46 AM »

If I let every political screwup upset me, I'd be on medication before you can say fish on.
Greed and deep pockets rule - it's been like that since the dawn of civilization.

All I know is, if DFO has sanctioned the opening (for whatever reason and based on whatever science), who am I to contest it?

I have no clue what the pink salmon spawning targets are. All I know is that thousands upon thousands of fish have been going upstream around the clock for the last several weeks - that should mean something to somebody. Somebody must be counting,  taking notes and making decisions. At least that is what I choose to believe.

So you choose to believe everything you read from the DFO? ok, but why not encourage thinking as opposed to being an apparatchik. Aren't you a teacher or something...?