Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dirty Water Lures......Myths?  (Read 5605 times)

dave c

Re: Dirty Water Lures......Myths?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »

Years ago when fishing for Springs in Lake Ontario in low light conditions (dawn/dusk) black and black/combos ALWAYS out fished other lures, with the exception of glow in the dark.  If our lures were down around 100ft., dark was alway better than any other color.  That being said, how about improvising.....try taking a black lure and paint a pink stripe or dots.  The silhouette of the black may get the fish's attention and on closer examination the pink on the lure might trigger a strike.  Just a thought.   Tight lines.

StillAqua

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 07:58:09 AM »

When I fish murky water, first I always wade out, put a swivel on the end of a section of my rod and attach and drag a few lures through the water to see what looks best as far as seeing contrast and movement is concerned. Your eyesight is close enough to a salmon or trout's eyesight that whatever looks most visible to you moving through the water will also show up best to the fish. Water can be murky for different reasons (dark mud, light glacial silt, tea-staining) and different colours, shapes and patterns all look different under different water and light conditions.
Then I think about whether I'm trying to imitate it's food or just piss it off......

Tuckster

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »

So I was at the Squamish yesterday and as it turns out.....was not nearly as murky as I was expecting. The fish were very, very thick in there and when I was casting spinners i could feel it smacking over fish non-stop. After two foul hooks in a row i switched to a straight dark colored jig under a float...just brilliant. I was in a pool of swirilng water, so the float didnt travel far. Hookups with every cast, just about every ont right in the top of the beak! which is what I was hoping for with a suspended jig.

In short......fishing was almost too good to truly see if color made much of a difference...but the method sure did.