Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bottom bouncing whats the big deal?  (Read 84937 times)

lil hewy

Re: bottom bouncing whats the big deal?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »

All of u fools realize that salmon do not eat in fresh water, all bites are accidental or u have aggrivated the fish to the point of striking .........bottom bounce away buddy and good luck

TNAngler

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »

I think you'd be hard pressed to convince many people around here that you are getting fish to bite your wool in the Fraser. However, there are ways of bottom bouncing bait and other lures in clearer rivers to entice fish into biting.

Can you explain why the color of wool matters?  Use one color and I can catch fish all day long.  Use a different color and I can't buy a bite.

And I don't use just wool.

And you think the fish can't see well enough to hit something within a couple feet of itself?

TNAngler

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 11:55:15 AM »

All of u fools realize that salmon do not eat in fresh water, all bites are accidental or u have aggrivated the fish to the point of striking .........bottom bounce away buddy and good luck

Yes.  Chinook striking on roe usually involves them trying to bury the roe from what I've heard.  If you find something that aggrevates them enough for them to strike bottom bouncing, I don't see what the issue is.

This completely removes grippers and rippers who are snagging/flossing/setting the hook multiple times every cast just in case they might hook into one.

TNAngler

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »

A good flosser will only set the hook when they feel the line bump a fish. Since they almost always catch the line in the mouth due to how they swim up the river. So they won't be setting the hook every cast.

Bottom line it's still flossing.

Also the angle thing your talking about not hooking up in the dangle. When fly fishing or swinging spoons you get smashed in the dangle all the time.

Explain the color difference then.  And explain how a good majority of my fish are hooked through the snout.

And I didn't say I didn't get smashed.  With our hookup, I don't think the hook is properly positioned downstream.

Heck, if that doesn't convince you, what if I tell you on the same set up we are casting, we have had multiple times where a guy is essentially taking a nap and has let his sinker fall into a meter of water to be woken up with a sockeye having grabbed the lure.  I suppose the lure just sitting there somehow flossed a sockeye too.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:01:28 PM by TNAngler »

Drewhill

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »

Can you explain why the color of wool matters?  Use one color and I can catch fish all day long.  Use a different color and I can't buy a bite.

And I don't use just wool.

And you think the fish can't see well enough to hit something within a couple feet of itself?

What colours you find work best?

TNAngler

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »

What colours you find work best?

We have one that we use but I would prefer to not release it.  I will say it isn't wool you can buy in the store, we had to raid my mom's sewing cabinet for that color yarn and got every piece of it she had back when we first discovered it... crap, over a decade ago.

Nitroholic

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »

lol... a bare hook on a 30 foot leader is just as effective  ::)

Nitroholic

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »

show us what you're using

TNAngler

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 12:14:26 PM »

lol... a bare hook on a 30 foot leader is just as effective  ::)

Uh huh, ok.  That is why we outfish everybody near us combined?

Remember though, for greatest effectiveness, you must rip the pole back multiple times throughout a cast, just in case there is a fish nearby.

TNAngler

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »

show us what you're using

It includes a red spin n glo along with a couple other items.  It is the yarn that makes all the difference though and that is a family secret.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 12:22:53 PM »

I do think that at times "bottom bouncing" you can have sockeye bite, it's just rare.

The one year I was out I caught 10 socks the one day all reeling in, and all 10 of them were right through the nose.
There was no hook set involved, and as I said, they hit on the retrieve right along the edge.
I was just using a huge roe sized hunk of chartreuse wool with a pencil weight and a 3 ft leader.
That was also a year with very good visibility...

Still realize though that 90% of even more of the socks that people catch bottom bouncing are flossed.
If you're legitimately bottom bouncing with a 2-3 foot leader and roe, then the chances of getting biting fish are much greater.

The fact you catch more than others is just what josh has said... it's all about feel.
When I use to bottom bounce regularly I would get fish 5 to 1 vs my buddies just because I was more in tune with what fish felt like.
Sounds like you do it enough that you probably have a much better feel than most people = more hook ups.

TNAngler

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 12:36:43 PM »

I do think that at times "bottom bouncing" you can have sockeye bite, it's just rare.

The one year I was out I caught 10 socks the one day all reeling in, and all 10 of them were right through the nose.
There was no hook set involved, and as I said, they hit on the retrieve right along the edge.
I was just using a huge roe sized hunk of chartreuse wool with a pencil weight and a 3 ft leader.
That was also a year with very good visibility...

Still realize though that 90% of even more of the socks that people catch bottom bouncing are flossed.
If you're legitimately bottom bouncing with a 2-3 foot leader and roe, then the chances of getting biting fish are much greater.

The fact you catch more than others is just what josh has said... it's all about feel.
When I use to bottom bounce regularly I would get fish 5 to 1 vs my buddies just because I was more in tune with what fish felt like.
Sounds like you do it enough that you probably have a much better feel than most people = more hook ups.

Oh, I realize that most of the people out there bottom bouncing have no idea what they are doing and I would say your 90% is probably low.  I would say a good 60% of bottom bouncers at least are out there hoping or ok with snagging one.

I'm not using roe.

And it isn't about feel.  I would say over half the fish we catch we wouldn't even have to set the hook on.  They just about rip the pole out of your hand.  They hit it very hard.  On my big Chinook, if I hadn't been paying attention, he probably would have ripped the pole out of my hand.  Some of the bigger sockeye we caught hit just as hard.  There is no doubt it is a fish and you would have to have no feeling in your arms/hands to not know it.  Sure, some of them are a lot lighter and feel more like you just slammed into a rock.  The ones that really rip it though are still more in number than anyone around us combined.

tworivers

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »

Summer bottom bouncing has provided stimulating exercise when casting 5oz weights all day with the centerpin. ;D

As most of my fish are hooked during the retrieve, I've found a wool colour combination of chartreuse and orange a popular choice for numerous piscatorial species.

At times, and in addition to generous amounts of wool, I'll add a small corkie of complimentary colour to provide additional drag during the swing. This techniques results in the increased use of my interior oblique and transversus abdominus muscles and thus completes my workout.

Tight lines ;D

TNAngler

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »

Summer bottom bouncing has provided stimulating exercise when casting 5oz weights all day with the centerpin. ;D

As most of my fish are hooked during the retrieve, I've found a wool colour combination of chartreuse and orange a popular choice for numerous piscatorial species.

At times, and in addition to generous amounts of wool, I'll add a small corkie of complimentary colour to provide additional drag during the swing. This techniques results in the increased use of my interior oblique and transversus abdominus muscles and thus completes my workout.

Tight lines ;D

How you get your stimulating, I'm not sure we really need to know, but thanks for sharing anyways :)

fyrslyer

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »

I find pink or bright green wool works best in the Fraser, get lots of bites with those colours.