Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Pinks  (Read 71793 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish Pinks
« Reply #225 on: August 18, 2013, 12:51:42 AM »

It was a gong show for sure, and lots of fish. Still some fresh chrome ones to have. Yes, the water was rising and we had to leave the bar and barely made it. Don't go there if you don't have chest wader. Fly fishing was the ticket. Drift guys had a lot of foul hookups.

JPW

« Reply #226 on: August 18, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »

Fly fishing was the ticket. Drift guys had a lot of foul hookups.

I don't think that is a fair comment. Yes with a fly rod and a floating line you could pass the fly over the school of fish without snagging, but 90% of the fly fisherman I saw had heavy sink tips and long leaders. Best case the fish comes in snagged in the mouth, but just as many come in with the hook in the back. Drift guys with a short float actually have the same option of keeping the presentation above the fish, it always comes done to intent or lack of understanding. You can snag with anything. What disappoints me is when the ratio is heavily weighted to more snagged then fair hooked and "anglers" don't bother to make any changes to their setup.  That should result in a ticket and forfeiture of gear.

zap brannigan

« Reply #227 on: August 18, 2013, 10:03:03 AM »

i swung bright coloured colorado's under a float yesterday and almost all my hookups were in the tip of the yap, weds i got over 40 all in the mouth in 3 hours water clarity was much better then though.

Tuckster

« Reply #228 on: August 18, 2013, 10:19:35 AM »

I don't fly fish.......what does anyone think is the best method right now?

I've been out a few times, chucking spoons and spinners with poor luck in the murky water. Floats with a pink fly? Spinners under a float?

I'm tempted to run a sized down bar fishing setup with sping and glows.....would this work for pinks in the squamish? Never tried it before.

Part of me really just wants to legimately out fish the abundance of snaggers right now.

Humpy

« Reply #229 on: August 18, 2013, 10:21:47 AM »

Is it worth going to the squamish or even the mamquam from 2 hours away? Is Water Vis that bad?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Tuckster

« Reply #230 on: August 18, 2013, 10:25:20 AM »

Is it worth going to the squamish or even the mamquam from 2 hours away? Is Water Vis that bad?

Was wondering the exact same thing.......I hear furry creek has slowed to a crawl so squamish is the ticket, but I couldn't but a hit on spoons or spinners last week. I hear vis has got worse.

Tee

« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2013, 10:52:21 AM »

I was there on Sat aug 17. The water level was high and had very poor visibility, less than 6 inch. There were fish but not many hook ups due to very poor visibility.

For people who fish with a gear setup, a set up with a small spin and glo seems to work well also. My buddy has had a good success.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

Humpy

« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »

I think I have some pink spin n glows, they have a pink body with some white spinners, I might try with those, they will create some vibrations and hopefully trigger a bite? Or even a bright blade. I'm still going to try my luck.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »

Skunked out. none caught, no bites, fish arent there. dont bother going.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2013, 01:39:12 PM »

fish arent there.

Didn't you hear, Dan? The fish finished up spawning yesterday. You have to wait for them to show up in the Fraser now.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #235 on: August 18, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »

I don't think that is a fair comment. Yes with a fly rod and a floating line you could pass the fly over the school of fish without snagging, but 90% of the fly fisherman I saw had heavy sink tips and long leaders. Best case the fish comes in snagged in the mouth, but just as many come in with the hook in the back. Drift guys with a short float actually have the same option of keeping the presentation above the fish, it always comes done to intent or lack of understanding. You can snag with anything. What disappoints me is when the ratio is heavily weighted to more snagged then fair hooked and "anglers" don't bother to make any changes to their setup.  That should result in a ticket and forfeiture of gear.

I was there yesterday with the fly rod and, normally, I would agree that flies are the ticket with pinks.  During the previous week, I couldn't keep the pinks off my flies.  Yesterday was a different story.  No matter what tip I used, I foul hooked way too many fish.  Just picking up the line to cast would result in foul hooking fish.  Not fun at all.  Yes, I did manage to catch fish hooked in the mouth, and we all got our limit of chrome bright pinks.  But the visibility was so poor, with lots of debris floating downriver.

My buddy (Stratocaster) also brought a drift rod with him, and after fly fishing he tried the drift rod with a fly under a float.  He did pretty good - hooking many fish in the mouth; however, we suspect these fish may have been flossed.  And yes, even short floating with the drift rod resulted in foul hooked fish!  With visibility as poor as it was, I find it difficult to believe fish were biting but I guess you never really know.  I would present my flies in the same drift, only to feel fish on the line (not biting). I was careful not to set the hook unless I felt the fish "mouthing" the fly (like a trout bite).  Lost way too many flies breaking off on fish.

The water came right up, and it was a bit sketchy getting out.  Be careful if you go out there!  :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #236 on: August 18, 2013, 02:49:12 PM »

Stop asking the same question. The information is already available throughout the entire thread.

And people, don't reward bad/lazy behaviours.

I'm all for sharing information, but seriously...

Mr Z

« Reply #237 on: August 18, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »

Skunked out. none caught, no bites, fish arent there. dont bother going.

Yes in particularly next Friday. Next Friday no one should bother going because there will be no fish at all  ;)

Mr Z

« Reply #238 on: August 18, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »

I don't fly fish.......what does anyone think is the best method right now?

I've been out a few times, chucking spoons and spinners with poor luck in the murky water. Floats with a pink fly? Spinners under a float?

I'm tempted to run a sized down bar fishing setup with sping and glows.....would this work for pinks in the squamish? Never tried it before.

Part of me really just wants to legimately out fish the abundance of snaggers right now.

A small/light pink blade under a float works very well. Pink wool worked "ok" too.

I did some test with large spoon but no much luck. I think they are better match for the beach or the Fraser when it opens.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #239 on: August 18, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »

Drag free drift with a jig under a float is the best way to never floss a fish. Even a 12" leader with unweighted or buoyant fly/hook will floss fish if they are packed together.