Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly fishing with spinning rod  (Read 15447 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fly fishing with spinning rod
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »

As defined in our BC sport fishing regs, fly fishing; is angling with a line to which a fly is attached. Which means any thing from the highest tech rod to a hand line.

Just to expand that further so there are no confusions, there are two different fly restrictions in this province's freshwater fishing regulations.

In waters where "artificial fly only" is in effect, you can only use a fly on your line but additional terminal tackle such as a float, weights are allowed (so you can use a spinning outfit to do this).

In waters where "fly fishing only" is in effect, you cannot add terminal tackle such as a float, weights to your line. The only item that can be attached to your line is the fly. Technically you can still use a spinning outfit, but without weights on your line, casting will be impossible, therefore anglers are limited to using a fly fishing outfit in this case.

fishingwithegg2

Re: Fly fishing with spinning rod
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 05:05:30 PM »

Just to expand that further so there are no confusions, there are two different fly restrictions in this province's freshwater fishing regulations.

In waters where "artificial fly only" is in effect, you can only use a fly on your line but additional terminal tackle such as a float, weights are allowed (so you can use a spinning outfit to do this).

In waters where "fly fishing only" is in effect, you cannot add terminal tackle such as a float, weights to your line. The only item that can be attached to your line is the fly. Technically you can still use a spinning outfit, but without weights on your line, casting will be impossible, therefore anglers are limited to using a fly fishing outfit in this case.

Thanks for clarifying Rodney! I was going to ask a question regarding this a while ago but I forgot.