Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For those in the know. Will socks open?  (Read 31443 times)

canso

• Old Timer
Re: For those in the know. Will socks open?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »

yup my guess is Aug. 15th for the ocean

FishingKing

Re: Will Sockeye Open On The Fraser River?
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »

I would hazard to say no, looking at the returns to date.

Also will the unusual high water for this time of year have a bearing too with it being more treacherous than usual as this fishery draws a lot of people that take chances trying to cross side channels to reach some bars.

Note, Peg Leg Bar access road is still blocked.

Chris is right. To anyone thinking about fishing any Bar on the Fraser, be very very careful. I lost a friend fishing at Peg Leg Bar last September. We were wading across a side channel that was only knee deep, the gravel gave way under our feet and we got swept into the main channel of the Fraser. I managed to get back but my friend was found a week later drowned. I've fished the Fraser for over 15 years. Do not underestimate the mighty Fraser, where your PFD"s, as Chris says the river is more treacherous then usual. I think a lot of people do not wear a life jacket because it makes them look dumb? Noob etc whatever reason, what's more important? Looking dumb or your life? I hope everyone takes this post seriously because lives are lost every year on the Fraser. Be safe!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:28:32 PM by FishingKing »

FishingKing

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 10:10:38 PM »

Chris is right. To anyone thinking about fishing any Bar on the Fraser, be very very careful. I lost a friend fishing at Peg Leg Bar last September. We were wading across a side channel that was only knee deep, the gravel gave way under our feet and we got swept into the main channel of the Fraser. I managed to get back but my friend was found a week later drowned. I've fished the Fraser for over 15 years. Do not underestimate the mighty Fraser, where your PFD"s, as Chris says the river is more treacherous then usual. I think a lot of people do not wear a life jacket because it makes them look dumb? Noob etc whatever reason, what's more important? Looking dumb or your life? I hope everyone takes this post seriously because lives are lost every year on the Fraser. Be safe!

Thanks for the heads up FishingKing and it never hurts to repeat that. The river is not your friend and it can be very deceptive and unforgiving. Don't pay with your life for the cost of a fish. And as far as the sockeye opening, I'm easy going either way. If the number's support it go ahead and give a small opening and if not, no big deal. Just don't take any excessive chances and wear your PFD's.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 04:18:40 PM »

Thanks for the heads up FishingKing and it never hurts to repeat that. The river is not your friend and it can be very deceptive and unforgiving. Don't pay with your life for the cost of a fish. And as far as the sockeye opening, I'm easy going either way. If the number's support it go ahead and give a small opening and if not, no big deal. Just don't take any excessive chances and wear your PFD's.

I agree with ATZ. No need to have an opening if the number is not high enough for it. DFO should not open it for selling more licenses if the number is border line. There are always coho & spring.  Regarding the tragic drowing, it is sad that DFO or City of Chilliwack allows this to happen frequently at Peg. The last drowning I was aware of was a guy from Abbotsrford about 8-10 years ago. Are there more downings than that? The victims were doing the same thing - trying to cross the side channel and lost their footing & flowed out to the main channel. They should either shut Peg down in early season, or open Peg up for year round recreation by building a bridge across the channel. They can design the bridge so that water can still flow freely underneath the bridge so the bridge will not damage fish habitat. Or at least stretch a life-saving floating rope across the channel secured by posts. Why keep on wasting precious human lives for doing nothing at a trecherous spot in such a high-use recreation area?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:26:58 PM by liketofish »

farky

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »

A little common sense goes a long way. Simple rule if you can't see where your going do not go there. However if the weather is warm enough do not wear waders at all, you will dry out quickly enough in the hot sun.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 11:10:39 PM »

Heard that we're getting an opening next Thursday; don't see it posted online yet though and there isn't another meeting 'til tomorrow  :-\
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Chris S

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 08:29:10 PM »

As of the meeting today; there is still no planned sockeye openings (other than current First Nations openings).  Late run estimates are only 200,000 fish (compared to 1,470,000 last year), next meeting is on the 14th.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:32:58 PM by Chris S »

FishingKing

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 08:42:45 PM »

As of the meeting today; there is still no planned sockeye openings (other than current First Nations openings).  Late run estimates are only 200,000 fish (compared to 1,470,000 last year), next meeting is on the 14th.

Thanks for the info. Hopefuly more come up in the next week.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:47:30 PM by FishingKing »

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 08:55:40 PM »

The target would be the summer run 1.5 millon but nearly 600,000 have already passed mission,so time is running out for sockeye opening.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »

Yeah, it's over; no sockeye opening this year.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

crazypop

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 01:42:27 AM »

Oh well, no sockeye!  Too bad, but, getting the stocks up is more important than the money an opening would bring.

Chris S

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »

Hey, for those who don't know; the Osoyoos lake sockeye return is huge this year and the fishing is reportedly Hot right now.  Limits are 2/day and should be good for a few weeks yet, so that might give some of you another option for sockeye.

Oilcruzer

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 07:19:38 AM »

With estimates that legal ceremonial net fishing takes 50% of the overall annual catch, and commercial takes 40%, WHY THE HECK isnt recreational the first to open every season?  I.E before other interests.