Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Nation sockeye salmon opening on Chilliwack River  (Read 45049 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: First Nation sockeye salmon opening on Chilliwack River
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has observed this fishery in action .... are they actually catching fish?

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 01:18:27 PM »

Yes absolutely, if the act is criminal in nature please call RCMP as we do not deal with criminal acts. If the confrontation is not criminal and more verbal or just disrespectful, please call me so that we can deal with the party involved. FN are committed to this as much as we are so it is important that the bad apples are dealt with.

FYI, FN groups have been trying to find beach siene locations and the river is just too high, some groups have been dip netting above Vedder Crossing with very poor results due to clear water. Sounds like they are not going to be too successful at this fishery.

Vic

Bandit420

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »

Ya be ignorant my young salt.  Aye, Them native bands been fishin' the river for over 10'000 years.  It be a way of life and a codified right, if ya done read the constitution.  Don't be so ignorant boy-o, you be only adding fuel to the fire.

X2
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »

salmon pirate, i understand that they claim rights to fish no argurment there.

My sole arguement comes from The abundance of FN SELLING THEIR FOODSTUFF catches.

I have had knocks on the door every week since sockeye has opened.
Do i have to start doing Probono work for DFO and film and photo the liscense plates? and risk my neck?

How do Non FN persons go about reporting or otherwise help stop the Selling of Foodstuff fishing catches?

I QUOTE from the man and woman driving the truck that i have a PICTURE OF.
" How do you think we pay for our trucks boats and nets" ......

What is the best course of action to deal with this person? who should i be contacting.
Tight lines to all

jacked55

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »

Brian, i was wondering the exact same thing. Who do you call to report them selling their so called, " cermonial catch for $10 a fish " and why doesnt the media or community get on top of it?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »

What is the best course of action to deal with this person? who should i be contacting.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/ORR-ONS-eng.htm

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »

thanks rod. i have submitted the information.

Tight lines to all

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »

thanks rod. i have submitted the information.

Been going on forever, the officers I am sure are instructed from above not to touch the issue. Ever heard of a anyone being fined for this?

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 03:14:19 PM »

Been going on forever, the officers I am sure are instructed from above not to touch the issue. Ever heard of a anyone being fined for this?

Well said, Chris. 100% true...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »

I agree. This has been going on for years. The only charges I've heard are to restaurants who buy the salmon. Seldom if ever you hear of Indians been charged for selling

Spooner

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 03:43:15 PM »

The FN also have commercial openings to sell fish, are you sure those fish for sale weren't from a sale fishery?
They used to barter for goods back in the day, why not now? ???

wizard

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »

Who is going to be counting the fish they catch? I have a hard time believing that they will just say ok, thats our 15k fish, lets stop now.

I share the same concern.  Just who are counting these fish besides the harvesters themselves? Anybody?  these harvests imo need to be fully monitered to be even considered. anything less is clearly poor management.

oolichan2

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »

I share the same concern.  Just who are counting these fish besides the harvesters themselves? Anybody?  these harvests imo need to be fully monitered to be even considered. anything less is clearly poor management.

Who's counting the sporties catch on the Fraser, Harrison or Vedder? I fish more than most and have been checked 3 times in my life (2 on the Squamish for some odd reason).

Just like all fisheries some will abuse quota's, but most will abide by the rules.

What everyone is losing perspective on here is how good we really have it on the Vedder and other local rivers. If FN really were intent on beating on the runs they would, there is little stopping them. The Chehalis band could easily stretch nets across the river and pluck half the coho and steelhead each year. The Vedder band behind On the Way could do the same.

Read some of the US boards and the issues with tribes taking fish whenever, however, and you will understand we have it very good. A few thousand sockeye on the Vedder, in a good year, is no big deal IMO.

Spooner

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »

Brian, i was wondering the exact same thing. Who do you call to report them selling their so called, " cermonial catch for $10 a fish " and why doesnt the media or community get on top of it?

The FN also have commercial openings to sell fish, are you sure those fish for sale weren't from a sale fishery?
They used to barter for goods back in the day, why not now? ???
Sorry thats sort of how my first post was supposed look  ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »

I agree. This has been going on for years. The only charges I've heard are to restaurants who buy the salmon. Seldom if ever you hear of Indians been charged for selling
Cheam band members have been charged, convicted and fined - and the fines were substantial. Part of the issue is that courts have found (in the Maritimes)  1st nations can sell hat they catch via their charter rights fisheries for a reasonable income. Challenging door  to door sales could open this can of worms here. The Feds have chosen not to unless there is consistent observation of  sales beyond " a reasonable income".
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.