Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you coming to Fish for the Future 2012?

Yes! :D
- 9 (40.9%)
No... :(
- 13 (59.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: July 16, 2012, 11:29:49 AM

Author Topic: Fish for the Future 2012, Saturday July 14th in Steveston  (Read 15471 times)

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
Re: Fish for the Future 2012, Saturday July 14th in Steveston
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 08:01:24 PM »

OK i will try to arrive around 9 ish then.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »

I'll be there for the set up as usual Rodney. Bright and early, and I'll have my 6 year old there with me. She's looking forward to it!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »

Sounds great Dave!

My phone has been ringing quite often starting at 4pm today, people asking about the event. We've never had that before, so we may end up with a lot more kids this year, not sure if that's a good thing or not.... ;D :-\

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »

Got quite a bit of media exposure today. We're in 604 Pulse:

http://www.604pulse.com/2012/07/13/hidden-secrets-weekend-plans-for-july-13-15/

Also finished an interviewed with Fairchild TV for our Chinese viewers, it'll be airing tonight at 7pm and 7:30pm in the Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese news.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »

Got quite a bit of media exposure today. We're in 604 Pulse:

http://www.604pulse.com/2012/07/13/hidden-secrets-weekend-plans-for-july-13-15/

Also finished an interviewed with Fairchild TV for our Chinese viewers, it'll be airing tonight at 7pm and 7:30pm in the Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese news.

Hey Rodney, must have just missed you. I was there when Fairchild TV was just setting up.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »

Just picked up 200 dew worm and 10 packs of krill from Berry's Bait and Tackle. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2012, 10:11:34 PM »

Chillliwack may be coming in mass after our event  ::) ???, for bugs, plucks, cleanup of your event, supper and then badminton Canadian badminton semi finals at the Richmond oval... ;D ;D

Looks like a full day.

PS may bring you some left overs of our goodies from the cleanup, for your cleanup crew, that is if the G.N. gang does not eat them all on the way down. ;D ;D ;D

Don't forget the steelhead video..D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 10:33:19 PM »

So after six hours of intense work tomorrow, we have to put up with some valley people? ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:44:55 PM by Rodney »

FreshyPT

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2012, 10:38:55 PM »

Wishing you all lots of fun and thank you to the volunteers who make this event possible. I would be there if I was not heavily involved in a wedding tomorrow though I might get to pop by while we take wedding photos at Steveston =)
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.
~ Just Keep Fishing ~

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 11:51:49 PM »

Speaking of weddings, hopefully there isn't one planned there again this year  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »

Speaking of weddings, hopefully there isn't one planned there again this year  ;)

lol... ok my stress level right now is already at its all-week high after unpacking rods and getting boxes ready in the last three hours... I hope to see an empty pier when I arrive in the morning. :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2012, 07:38:16 AM »

Just one last bump and a few reminders about the event. If you are coming with kids to fish, bring chairs for yourselves, it makes a big difference. Please keep in mind that the floating dock has limited space and we would like you to give others a chance to fish if there is a long line-up. Bring lots of cold water, it's going to be hot. Bring lunch, there are shaded area with picnic tables at the front of the pier. Please keep dogs, balloons, whistlers, horns away from our birds of prey exhibition. When you catch a fish, please unhook it with care and place it in the bucket before bringing it up to our aquariums. I'll see some of you in a couple of hours from now. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2012, 06:52:34 PM »

12 hours, 6 water bottles, an order of fish & chips and 2 pain killers later... ;D

The turnout was pretty awesome today, almost a little too successful. I was a bit worried about not having enough volunteers to accommodate the crowd but we survived. Four volunteers wrote licences at once throughout most of the event to keep the traffic flowing. We had to ease the line-up for the fishing rods pretty often. In total we wrote up just over 250 juvenile saltwater fishing licences. Adding those who already have their licences and parents of participants, we probably had close to 1,000 people attending the event today.

Many thanks to volunteers from here and FlyBC for making this happening. I hope the pizza and ice water made the labour intensive work a bit easier. :D

We also really appreciate the support from Pacific Angler, Berry's Bait and Tackle, Pro Line Sport, Redl Sports, BC Family Fishing Weekend, City of Richmond, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, RCMP, Seymour Salmonid Society, Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation Society.

I didn't have time to take photos but I had photographers doing that for me this year. ;D Here are some. These are taken by LukeYVR's brother-in-law, who is a professional photographer. Many of you may remember Luke, who fished with me pretty often until he passed away in 2009. We actually met Luke the first time at the very first Fish for the Future in 2003 so it's nice to have his family at our tenth anniversary and seeing what it has become.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2012, 07:40:18 PM »

Congratulations and kudos to the volunteers and organizers for putting on another great event.  One can only imagine the work that goes on behind the scenes in preparation for an event of this nature, but seeing the smiles on all the faces and knowing that you may have sparked an interest in a sport we all love so much is priceless.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod