Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon head for halibut fishing  (Read 2049 times)

strobes

Salmon head for halibut fishing
« on: June 25, 2012, 07:20:35 PM »

i'm heading out with some guys from work this weekend for some salmon and halibut fishing out of port renfrew.  does anyone have any tips on how to rig up salmon heads for catching halibut.  one of the guys has heard of a way of running the hook thru the head so that it doesnt spin, but i cant find anything online on how to do it.  any tips or help would be great
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

TheChumWhisperer

Re: Salmon head for halibut fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:29:12 PM »

I dont know too much about halibut fishing, but I tried using salmon heads for halibut two weeks ago.  From what I was told, the salmon head that if spinning just off bottom drives the big ones crazy.  Leave it there, don't move it, let it sit.  Only the biggest halibut eat salmon heads.  Slack tide helps too..

Verdi

Re: Salmon head for halibut fishing
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:13:59 PM »

Anglerwest TV has a video from winter harbour of them catching big halibut, if you watch the video closely you can see how the hook up a head, with what i think is a 20/0 circle hook, but they use the whole fillet remains with tail head and spinal cord..  it is in the background looks like they hook it from inside the mouth and our the nose.

Look under youtube,     Winter Harbour Fishing at Qualicum Rivers Resort

It is around the 4 min mark..