Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, November 6th 2011  (Read 5325 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, November 6th 2011
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »

I think someone hasn't heard the fall chinook in the Chilliwack are not native and without hatchery support would likely disappear after a few generations. No need to worry about genetic quality of the brood stock
Is that why they only clip the adipose fin of cohos?  Other species they don't bother because they all came from the hatchery?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 12:12:41 PM »

Is that why they only clip the adipose fin of cohos?  Other species they don't bother because they all came from the hatchery?

they also clip sockeye and fall chinook, but mainly for research.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »

I think someone hasn't heard the fall chinook in the Chilliwack are not native and without hatchery support would likely disappear after a few generations. No need to worry about genetic quality of the brood stock

the white chinooks have thrived since being transplanted from the harrison...they're an aggressive species that doesn't need to rely on the hatchery for survival... if not for fishermen targeting them, they would have decimated the indigenous populations (which now rely on the brood stock program for maintaining their numbers).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:44:23 PM by blaydRnr »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 12:54:55 PM »

the white chinooks have thrived since being transplanted from the harrison...they're an aggressive species that doesn't need to rely on the hatchery for survival... if not for fishermen targeting them, they would have decimated the indigenous populations (which now rely on the brood stock program for maintaining their numbers).

The red springs taken for brood stock are not indigenous as well (assuming you are talking about the July run). They are interior stock fish.

The actual indigenous population runs during steelhead season, which is why there are posters up everywhere showing the difference between steelhead and chinook. I have only ever seen 3 of these fish caught in the upper river. There was also a small run of the indigenous reds in the fall, I normally tag 1 or 2 every year that I fish the vedder. Seemed the last year before I left for college they were making a small comeback as I hit 5 that year that were reds, and were still chrome (some with sea lice) in late September.

O and clipped sockeye are solely to mark Cultus Lake hatchery enhanced sockeye. None are clipped for research that I know of, especially since the hatchery doesn't raise sockeye due to IHN outbreaks that they commonly have. They simply want to see if there is any actual wild representation left over.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:56:40 PM by Every Day »

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »

I caught 4 red springs this fall season, and took one home. :)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »

The red springs taken for brood stock are not indigenous as well (assuming you are talking about the July run). They are interior stock fish.

The actual indigenous population runs during steelhead season, which is why there are posters up everywhere showing the difference between steelhead and chinook. I have only ever seen 3 of these fish caught in the upper river. There was also a small run of the indigenous reds in the fall, I normally tag 1 or 2 every year that I fish the vedder. Seemed the last year before I left for college they were making a small comeback as I hit 5 that year that were reds, and were still chrome (some with sea lice) in late September.

O and clipped sockeye are solely to mark Cultus Lake hatchery enhanced sockeye. None are clipped for research that I know of, especially since the hatchery doesn't raise sockeye due to IHN outbreaks that they commonly have. They simply want to see if there is any actual wild representation left over.

correct...and as for the cultus lake sockeye doesn't that study and observation constitute ''research"? they also clip a selected number of chinooks.

buck

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 08:30:09 PM »

ED
  The indigenous red springs enter the system in May, June and early July. They start spawning mid Sept to Mid October. Only a small number of these fish return each year and they all spawn in the upper
Chilliwack. Any fall reds that are being caught in the fall are not indigenous Chilliwack chinook and most likely Harrison chinook. The hatchery has noticed numerous red fleshed jacks and adults during brood stock spawning.
Attempts at capturing these fish for brood stock has been nearly impossible due to their spawning location and numbers.
Red springs are eggs taken from Slim Creek fish which is 100 miles N/E of prince George.                                 

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 12:33:43 AM »

It seems like every thing pisses you off. Of your 300+ posts I'd be surprised if even one had some sort of positive tone to it. Lighten up and quit being a downer.

:'(