Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 Tidal Fraser River fall salmon and trout fishery updates  (Read 9800 times)

jizza

Re: 2011 Tidal Fraser River fall salmon and trout fishery updates
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 08:26:50 PM »

I'm starting to feel bad, because I don't get so much as a bite on the Fraser. Nothing with spinners,  or a spoon. Then I rigged my first bottom/roe rig ever (thanks to youtube and per Rod's suggestions), tossed it out there, a salvage hydrofoil (see below) whips by just as I toss it out, not a great cast. Of course it snags.. somehow end up snapping the tip of my rod being a spaz.

Aaargh!!!

Is it me, or does the North Arm along River Road, just eat lures and tackle. Everytime I go there, I sacrifice something. I'm starting to feel bad for polluting. I used an ounce or two of pencil lead and surgical tubing as the weight. Should I use a round weight or something else to prevent snags.

At least my outing was interesting though, you see the strangest things fishing. I was on the North Arm today around 3:30-4 pm, about 1 km west of Westminister Hwy end of River Rd, I'm casting my spinner when mid-cast I see this silver pickup scream off the road 200 yards in front of my eyes, and launch itself into the river.

It was kinda surreal.

Saw the driver climbing out of the passenger window as the truck was sinking and swim to shore. Good thing no one was fishing in that section. Talk about chucking things into the Fraser.

Weird.
I drove by this today. Good to hear the driiver was safe. I was told he drove into the dtich not the river? Anyways I wasn't sure iwhy there was a k9 unit looking for something in the ditch.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 10:41:10 PM »

I was out today, with my son and wife and it was on fire,we managed to catch 6 adult coho with 1 being a hatchery marked, and im not joking but also caught 11 jacks, so if you can get out there. We caught them all on roe. Went through 5 lbs.

That's not hard to believe, as there were about 20 jacks on Saturday and 30 jacks on Sunday hooked at our spot. No adults have been caught so far. :-\

Is it me, or does the North Arm along River Road, just eat lures and tackle. Everytime I go there, I sacrifice something. I'm starting to feel bad for polluting. I used an ounce or two of pencil lead and surgical tubing as the weight. Should I use a round weight or something else to prevent snags.

The stretch of river that you are talking about is in fact quite snag-free compared to other areas around Richmond. That being said, there are woody debris built up on the bottom in recent years. One way to avoid these snags is to show up one day when the tide is very low and mark out where all the snags are. Another thing to note is to fish not too far from shore (don't cast too close to that big branch sticking out in the middle... ;) ) as many of our good sized fish have been caught very close to shore in the past.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:43:55 PM by Rodney »

jizza

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »

I was out today, with my son and wife and it was on fire,we managed to catch 6 adult coho with 1 being a hatchery marked, and im not joking but also caught 11 jacks, so if you can get out there. We caught them all on roe. Went through 5 lbs.
Took your advice and well  lets just say it was a good one! ;D thanks!

wizard

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 07:43:07 AM »

Bar fishing has been pretty productive for me so far, season is off to a good start with 3 adult hatcheries and 4 wild adults. not too many jacks...but have seen lots caught.

few notes...
try varying casting disctances, and no need to heeve it out as far as you can.  I find Just out from shore is often best.
High-outgoing has been most productive.
Spider thread greatly reduces amount of roe used.
Have seen almost all fish caught on bottom rig.  I have been using a single rig and it has been good.
Please don't drag any fish up onto the mud or rocks until a hatchery is confirmed.
Also do the river a favour and try to take some garbage out with you in a bag or whatever. Far too many people are using the river bank like a dump these days.  If even a few people pick up some garbage it makes a big difference.

When the bite has been on, it's been on. pay attention to your rod like crazy! Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:56:22 AM by wizard »

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »

Please don't drag any fish up onto the mud or rocks until a hatchery is confirmed.

strongly recommend! , if you can even wear waders, walk in the water a few feet and check there, that way you know weather or not its safe to bring it in. thats what ive done with all of mine, and they all have been released unharmed.  Out of my 12 coho, 1 has been hatchery so there are quite a few wilds , make sure you know before. irks me when i see anglers drag it up, than kick it back in.  :-\