Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This Smells Fishy  (Read 19130 times)

speycaster

Re: This Smells Fishy
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 04:56:22 PM »

Tribes in Washington state sell some of their steelhead catch, they allowed by law 50% of salmonids in the state. It is called The Boltd decision after the judge that rendered the judgement. ;D

speycaster

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »

I have eaten the rainbows from Lake Superior and they tasted fine, some were as large as steelhead and could have come from the Skammia strain of steelhead that were introduced to the great lakes. But all steelhead would taste like shyt if they are dripping milt shortly before frying. ;D ;D

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 06:15:54 PM »

here is the reply
not Wild Steelhead

Hi Steve,

I apologise for my delayed response.  I believe there may have been some misunderstanding with regards to the steelhead trout that you saw on The Observatory’s menu. The steelhead trout that The Observatory is using is actually a farmed steelhead, not wild, that is Ocean Wise recommended.

This steelhead salmon (actually a true trout, since it never spends any time in the ocean) is farmed in Lois Lake in BC. Lois Lake is a man-made dammed lake. Since this farm is not located in the open-ocean there is no risk of damaging the surrounding marine environment. The farm is very strictly managed and they conduct benthic surveys and sampling to ensure the outputs from the farm are within reasonable limits. They have created a wetland for UV treated waste water. Since the farm is located in a man-made lake, there is little risk of parasites or disease being transferred to wild stocks. Overall this farm is committed to continuous improvement.

I hope this has helped to clarify. If you have any other questions just let me know.

All the best,

Teddie Geach

Ocean Wise Eastern Coordinator

Vancouver Aquarium

Conservation Department

p. 416-764-3093

c. 647-638-6794

www.oceanwise.ca

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »

here is the reply
not Wild Steelhead

Hi Steve,

I apologise for my delayed response.  I believe there may have been some misunderstanding with regards to the steelhead trout that you saw on The Observatory’s menu. The steelhead trout that The Observatory is using is actually a farmed steelhead, not wild, that is Ocean Wise recommended.

This steelhead salmon (actually a true trout, since it never spends any time in the ocean) is farmed in Lois Lake in BC. Lois Lake is a man-made dammed lake. Since this farm is not located in the open-ocean there is no risk of damaging the surrounding marine environment. The farm is very strictly managed and they conduct benthic surveys and sampling to ensure the outputs from the farm are within reasonable limits. They have created a wetland for UV treated waste water. Since the farm is located in a man-made lake, there is little risk of parasites or disease being transferred to wild stocks. Overall this farm is committed to continuous improvement.

I hope this has helped to clarify. If you have any other questions just let me know.

All the best,

Teddie Geach

Ocean Wise Eastern Coordinator

Vancouver Aquarium

Conservation Department

p. 416-764-3093

c. 647-638-6794

www.oceanwise.ca

Thanks for the response- I just checked the website and I see they've changed the menu to no longer include that item. Perhaps the terminology might be changed to be a little more reflective of the product as to not confuse the diner. What they sell is NOT steelhead, but farmed trout.That seems disingenuous to me. Three at our table saw the item and were quite puzzled.
 The efforts at Lois Lake to make fish farming a more sustainable and eco friendly is laudable.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:45:48 PM by Novabonker »
http://

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »

The efforts at Lois Lake to make fish farming a more sustainable and eco friendly is laudable.

X2 ;)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 08:49:33 AM »

Many landlocked fish farms use "Steelhead" strain Rainbow. This allows them to call the produce Steelhead even though the fish never see salt water.
Calling it wild steelhead is certainly wrong, but "farmed" fish now have a stigma associated with them that would hurt sales. This may have played a part in why they removed it from the menu.

quill

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »

Here's a good one for you folks: From the dinner menu of 100 Nights, the restaurant at the Opus hotel in Vancouver. http://onehundrednights.ca/pdf/100-Nights-dinner-menu.pdf

"Squamish Steelhead Fillet $26
hand made gnocchi, spinach and leek sauce, toasted almonds"

No oceanwise symbol.

it appears these are probably the same farmed trout from Lois Lake near Powell River.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:01:41 PM by quill »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 12:59:09 PM »

I would tend to think that "squamish steelhead" gets consideration for my vote for misrepresentation. Is the chef a former politician? ;D
There's a fine line between "artistic license' and flat out Pinocchioisms.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:03:51 PM by Novabonker »
http://

StillAqua

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 06:21:54 PM »

I would tend to think that "squamish steelhead" gets consideration for my vote for misrepresentation. Is the chef a former politician? ;D
There's a fine line between "artistic license' and flat out Pinocchioisms.
The latest fish farm tactic........disguise your product as something else. How about BBQ chicken as grilled Condor?