Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Jigs  (Read 23418 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Jigs
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 12:26:10 AM »

its amazing how many guys fish jigs now, and a lot of them only fish jigs and nothing else  ??? if your only fishing jigs your passing over a lot of fish. jigs have a time and a place and i always carry a few in my pack but rarely put them on. the biggest advantage of the jig is that it gets down quick and into the strike zone which is good for a run that you need to get down quickly in. other than that I would rather buy a shrimp ring at the same price as one jig.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 12:27:48 AM »

x2
Fish killer 101

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »

Why do you want to diss jig fishermen? Don't you know bait is for little kids...

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 12:43:18 PM »

great thread so it dont take much to tye your own, rods DIY packs anda few tools and materials.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

likely

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »

never fished the jig for steel. but do use it for other species. it definatly has it,s time and place

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »

Jigs or any other lures are not the end all and be all for steelheads. Just another lure in the arsenal for steelheads.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 02:44:04 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/110121-2.html

This is a great way to get some great info on fishing jigs . I also believe that you get to tie a few jigs of your own.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

ribolovac02

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 05:19:12 PM »

its amazing how many guys fish jigs now, and a lot of them only fish jigs and nothing else  ??? if your only fishing jigs your passing over a lot of fish. jigs have a time and a place and i always carry a few in my pack but rarely put them on. the biggest advantage of the jig is that it gets down quick and into the strike zone which is good for a run that you need to get down quickly in. other than that I would rather buy a shrimp ring at the same price as one jig.

x2

This coming from a guy who promoted jigs two years ago more than anyone LOL  ::) ::) ??? ???

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »

How? Ya i fished them alot, and hooked alot of fish on them. But perfer to fish different water now, that isn't suited to the jig. Many fish fell to the jig this past season aswell, but they have a time and a place. I'm not going to strap a jig to my line and fish only that. Far from it... That's just not how I fish.

JIGS WORK! AND THEY WORK WELL! Personal preference. Steelhead bite anything. Spin'n glow, roe, roe bags, prawn, ghost shrimp, squid, pink worms, gooey bobs, jensen eggs, wool, spoons, spinners, jigs, flies, rags, plugs, blades, trout beads. Notice the common theme here?

And anto I think you should keep personal opinions towards individuals to yourself. It would be much appreciated. THANKS!
Fish killer 101

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »

Guys, this is a great thread.

With lots of more experienced steelhead fisherman sharing their personal views on jigs, I am sure novice steelheaders like myself could arrive at a better understanding of the art via reading threads like these and through experimentation at the river. In the end, we all have to arrive at our own conclusions based on our own experiences.

Tight lines! :)

ribolovac02

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »

How? Ya i fished them alot, and hooked alot of fish on them. But perfer to fish different water now, that isn't suited to the jig. Many fish fell to the jig this past season aswell, but they have a time and a place. I'm not going to strap a jig to my line and fish only that. Far from it... That's just not how I fish.

JIGS WORK! AND THEY WORK WELL! Personal preference. Steelhead bite anything. Spin'n glow, roe, roe bags, prawn, ghost shrimp, squid, pink worms, gooey bobs, jensen eggs, wool, spoons, spinners, jigs, flies, rags, plugs, blades, trout beads. Notice the common theme here?

And anto I think you should keep personal opinions towards individuals to yourself. It would be much appreciated. THANKS!
:P :P :P Sorry man i made that comment knowing what your resonse would be ;D ;D,thanks for the entertaiment Dimitri,LOL was at the end of my comment i thought you would figure it out but thanks anyways,see you on the river, ;) ;D,have you ever seen me make a negative opinion about anyone on any board.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:36:32 PM by ribolovac02 »

wizard

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 08:51:12 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/110121-2.html
Thanks for posting this Rodney, I'll be there for sure
No one is saying jigs are only thing that works, farrr from it, just another tool in the tool belt. 
btw, Short floating a jig? pfft... ::)<(sarcasm)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2011, 12:45:21 AM »

No i haven't spotted your negativity anywhere. I hope it stays that way. As for seeing ppl on the river, I may see you, but you won't spot me. To short. I blend in well with the bush. ;)
Fish killer 101

wizard

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2011, 08:50:38 PM »

your jigs look great, you've got some talent riverbum.  I like how you kept the light color on the outside emphasizing the dark inside.
Keep it up :)