Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Downrigger weight advice  (Read 5610 times)

Robbie

Re: Downrigger weight advice
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 08:16:42 PM »

Was planning a Bamfield trip for this summer.  Not sure if my 17'er is enough boat for there or not though.  Good rigger tips guys, much appreciated.  I think I'm going to go with 12's.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »

12's will work with 1 per side. However, if you're out at 5 mile, 7 mile...you'll want 15's for sure since you're fishing on the bottom at like 260 feet of cable out. With a 17 footer--- stay inshore unless it's a FLAT day. If you do go offshore, make sure you have FULL fuel and watch the weather. Leave the offshore stuff to the offshore boats. Depending on what time of year you go, I'm sure you'll have no problem hooking plenty closer in.

Tight lines!

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »

15s ya if you got electrics.  Have you ever cranked up 15s from 200’?  :o

5 and 7 mile I only fish the top 80' for salmon and ride the shelf, 350+ft rises up to 180ft.(that’s when you know your there)
Follow the shelf staying closer to the 180 side.

I do it in a 19.5 but a friend uses his 17' bayliner Capri. Like others have said, watch wind and tides.
It’s the first mile on your way out from cape beale that will give you trouble. Once you’re out, it’s just huge rollers you hardly notice.

ok now i want to go fishing

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »

15s ya if you got electrics.  Have you ever cranked up 15s from 200’?  :o

5 and 7 mile I only fish the top 80' for salmon and ride the shelf, 350+ft rises up to 180ft.(that’s when you know your there)
Follow the shelf staying closer to the 180 side.

I do it in a 19.5 but a friend uses his 17' bayliner Capri. Like others have said, watch wind and tides.
It’s the first mile on your way out from cape beale that will give you trouble. Once you’re out, it’s just huge rollers you hardly notice.

ok now i want to go fishing

15 lbs vs 12lbs on a hand crank are little difference however a NOTICABLE difference when fishing deep. I'd rather crank 220 feet of cable than 280.

When the fish are deep, you want to get there as efficiently as possible.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Robbie

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 06:35:31 PM »

Whats the deal with the first mile Canso?  Conflicting currents created chop?  Rollers definitely don't worry me.  It's rollers and chop combined that sucks.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »

Currents toss the water around every which way.
It shallows up and has some nasty rocks at the mouth.
Just adds to the excitement. The best time to get threw is during slack tide, too bad, it’s also the best time for fishing.

The closer to Sept. you book the less chance you would need to go offshore, fishing the “wall” or some of the other sheltered spots can be very productive as well.

I love the place and wish I could be there every year.
Now with a new truck, camper and boat trailer, I'm not interested in the gravel road.
Last time was 3.5hours.
If I'm going this season I will run the boat up from China Creek or Port Alberni and rent a cabin in Bamfield.

island boy

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 09:17:53 PM »

stay at the seabeem if you go.
you kill it, you clean it.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »

just checked out seabeem web site and looks afordable.
what do the 2 person trailers look like?
I'm booking somthing for the third week in Aug.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »

We use 15lb ball.  We like the fact that the cable will stay out of the prop area.
Also of course we still do not make tight turns.
At Sandheads there are such strong currents at times.
As Canso mentioned the down side is ya have to wind up the weight ...but it's good exercise  ;D

island boy

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 03:13:07 PM »

canso, they are slowly getting rid of the trailers and getting arco trailers that they are renovating into little suits. they will still have some trailers around. they are clean and cheap. or you could stay in the lodge part. it's a no frills place but clean and affordable. and with fishing grounds 2 minutes away you can't go wrong.
you kill it, you clean it.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »

I could imagine 4 lines hooked to two cables could be a bit of a gong show with a frisky coho on the hook.  Two lines sounds like a good place to start.

LOL! Try 3 rods a side, complete with a dummy flasher for each!  :o
Total of 12 pieces of gear in the water. NOT for the faint of heart!  :D
I run that set-up for sockeye with 13.5 lb custom lead finned balls btw.

Best to start with two lines and work up.  ;)

Cheers,
nog

Robbie

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »

We are looking at going the first or second weekend of August.  I was looking at Seabeam and also Mills Bay or something like that.  I think Navionics should show the danger points at the mouth entering the ocean.  I think I'll be ok as I long as I don't forget the common sense....lots of people leave that at home.

Dogbreath

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »

We are looking at going the first or second weekend of August.  I was looking at Seabeam and also Mills Bay or something like that. 
You mean Mills Landing-book early.

Also don't expect much-fishing in Barkley Sound overall has been poor the past few years and that doesn't look to change-the Real Action is offshore in Big Water.