Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chum jigs  (Read 13291 times)

NiceFish

• Old Timer
Re: chum jigs
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »

Is there a serial number on these hooks as compared to the thicker gauged one? Or is there some sort of monopoly going on in the jig hook world?

Hopefully they come this week sometime I can know for sure, I will put them to a bend test

Banny

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 09:46:09 PM »

From everything I have seen and heard the heavy gauge ones are simply not available other than a high volume custom order directly from the factory.  The hooks commonly available are meant for bass/walleye applications I guess.  There are some other options from Owner and Gamakatsu but they are fairly expensive.

j

Jace

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 09:50:19 PM »

I was gong to exchange the hooks that came with my blades for better quality one i use for fishing roe, but the did not seem long enough.....
The hook should overhang the blade itself right?

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 09:53:54 PM »

From everything I have seen and heard the heavy gauge ones are simply not available other than a high volume custom order directly from the factory.  The hooks commonly available are meant for bass/walleye applications I guess.  There are some other options from Owner and Gamakatsu but they are fairly expensive.

j

How do you find those 2x owner jig hooks to be? i've never actually seen them

Banny

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »

Have never used them either, after failing to find the heavy Matzuo hooks last year I looked at the other hooks and decided to just stick with the jig packs from bent rods as the prices once factoring in the pins and beads were not that much different.

J

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 09:59:35 PM »

Well if my hooks don't come tomorrow I was planning to buy a bent rods pack anyways as I'm down to a single jig and I would like to have a few available for the weekend,  maybe if we get a group to go in on a bulk order on jig supply, we can get a deal?

Banny

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 10:16:13 PM »

This is probably the best deal going at the moment.  Just paint the heads in whatever color you want.

http://store.rvrfshr.com/product_p/rvrsticker.htm

J

lapa

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 11:38:15 PM »

How do you find those 2x owner jig hooks to be? i've never actually seen them

I'm using jigs with Owner 1/0 hooks. Really sharp but not so strong. It takes time to play big chums.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 10:53:57 AM »

I've got a bunch of hooks on order hopefully arriving this week  ::) so i can start tying up some jigs...

couple questions for you Banny...

I got weighted jig heads (1/4"), they are nice as they provide some good weight to the jig however the hole in them doesn't really accept my pins very well, i have to double them up, so where do you find your beads or pins from? I was thinking about maybe getting those sewing pins that have the plastic bob on the end to put as an added feature to hold a jig bead head on.

The plastic bob will break off and you will lose your bead.
I use these in 1":
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?c=&p=40385&cat=3,41306,41325

You can find them cheaper at Wal-Mart in the picture hanging section for those inclined.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »

Thank for the pin idea my friend.

I got the hooks today.. yes you were correct oh wise banny.... cheap thin metal, would be just fine for smaller fish but as soon as you get into the bigger boys...it's gonna be dicey. I'm going to tie up a few testers and see what happens. Someone want to point me in the direction to where I can order gammy jig hooks online? I don't trust owner enough to spend some coin on their hooks without seeing a product first.

Banny

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 06:22:57 PM »

Look at the link i posted a few posts up.  That is what I would buy at the moment.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 06:33:50 PM »

wow..can't believe i missed that...also ...can't believe its $15.00 to ship one package unbelievable

Banny

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 06:39:59 PM »

Its either that or go to your local tackle shop and purchase a 25 pack for $30.  Even with $15 shipping its 40$ for 50 that way.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 06:49:38 PM »

it's all a monopoly i tell you.....it's these tackle suppliers hyping up jigs to us fishermen then driving up the prices on the hooks....one big ugly scheme

Banny

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 07:14:17 PM »

fish blades  ;)