Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bradley Smoked - Kosher/Demerara Dry Brine - Thanks Alwaysfishn  (Read 29497 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Bradley Smoked - Kosher/Demerara Dry Brine - Thanks Alwaysfishn
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 08:03:38 PM »

I leave my fish in the fridge for about 12 hours. At the end the fish has a nice shine to it and is slightly sticky to the touch. I tried a fan once and I think it took about 3 to 4 hours.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »

I have done both now in the last 3 days. 1st batch was overnight, 2nd batch was 6 hrs in the fridge and today's batch was 3.5 hours with a fan blowing straight on to them. The  pellicle turn out about the same all 3 x. Like AF is saying, its tacky to the touch but crusting over. I have got a batch in right now as I am typing this. I just sampled a bit while its still smoking after 5 hrs. As these slices are a little thicker I decided to brine for 1/2 hr less and I think it may be the right saltiness to my taste. I glazed 1/2 of them at the 4 hr mark. I could be wrong, and it could be a taste thing, but i think if you go with a saltier brine, then stay away from the sweet glaze. If you want a sweet product then start off with a sweeter brine. I get the feeling these pieces that I glazed may be like the sweet and salty kettle popcorn. In short either go sweet or salty but I am not sure I want to have both..if that makes any sense.

I would NOT leave you smoker unattended while you are at work. Read some Bradley  FAQ on google. potential fire hazzard. the pucks don't always move well and will fill up in the water bowel. They can pile high and tip over into the heater. Also if the puck fails to drop sit will but not be a good burn. You want a fresh puck every 20min.
The only easy day was yesterday

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »

I'm trying to think of a way to schedule the brine and the air drying around my work schedule so that when i get home at 4 they can go directly into the smoker.

I think I will put it in the fridge as it takes the longest which is probably the easiest way if i brine the fish at midnight, get up early at 4, then fridge dry till 4pm when i get home from work and into the smoker they go...sounds fool proof?

I'm smoking sockeye as well, the the 2/3 salt to 1/3 sugar did you find it fairly salty? or just like you said, brine it for a little shorter of time?

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 10:08:01 PM »

re: brining if your slabs are 6/7 lb socks I'd do 3 hrs, if 4/5 I'd do 2.5 hr. I just pulled mine out of the smoker and they are fine re: saltiness. They were thicker slabs and so i did  almost 3 hrs. You have to be awake for that less you forget. At 2.5 hours I take1 top piece off, rinse under water and touch my tongue to it to gauge it's saltiness. Rinse alittle more and try. If ok then remove. I put the thicker pieces at the bottom. I judge how long they stay based on the taste test.

When ready take em out, rinse them off and pat dry w/paper towel. I'd through them in the fridge and go to work. Smoke them when you get home. Mine just took 6 hrs. The 1st 2 batches took 5 hrs.

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 10:01:39 AM »

my last batch, honey and maply glazed;

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »

Looks good, when did you apply the glaze and how did it turn out?

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 05:27:59 PM »

at the 4 hr mark. it was just a maple syrup honey mix. It didn't make it very sweet but it took a bit of the salt edge out. end product was nice and moist, good flavor and a very light crust

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 06:03:04 PM »

Do you think if I let it sit in the fridge for about 16 hours after I rinse off the brine, would it make a huge difference on the quality of the fish?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »

Do you think if I let it sit in the fridge for about 16 hours after I rinse off the brine, would it make a huge difference on the quality of the fish?

If it's in the fridge it sure won't hurt it....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 08:16:20 PM »

I would agree with AF. Let us know how it turns out, with pics ;]

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »

well I went to crappy tire to get some alder pucks however they didn't have any nor does it look like they even carry them?

i'll just have to wait till thursday when army and navy is open late to get some i guess, did you find it took much time to figure out how to work the smoker or was it pretty easy right from the start?

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 08:54:07 PM »

2 things; maple pucks are good for fish too. re: smoker you need to have 3 more pucks then you actually plan on burning because of the length of the arm to the burning plate. If you have any further questions I can call you..cheers

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 09:15:26 PM »

thanks, all the had listed on the shelf is apple and mesquite...seems odd since they are the only store on the northshore that sells pucks i think.... i know about the 3 extra pucks, have you thought about buying the fake pucks as to not waste the real ones?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »

thanks, all the had listed on the shelf is apple and mesquite...seems odd since they are the only store on the northshore that sells pucks i think.... i know about the 3 extra pucks, have you thought about buying the fake pucks as to not waste the real ones?

The 3 pucks aren't really wasted, they get used the next time you use the smoker. I never take the extra pucks out, but then I only use hickory pucks for smoking.