Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Spinning Line  (Read 7159 times)

koko

Re: New Spinning Line
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 02:55:36 PM »

Thanks again for the response.  Now it may seem like a stupid question, but if I go with braid I would assume that I would need to tie on a leader before my spinner or croc - correct?  Would you suggest a swivel to a 3 - 4 foot leader?  Thanks!  Also - what are the best braids out there that I can get locally??
Don't use swivel for spoon, just use a albright knot to 3 to 4 foot leader.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 03:48:11 PM »

Chuck,  you confused yet ?

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 07:57:42 PM »

braid all the way, i use it for everything, i got it on my ultra light 8lbs test it has the diameter of 1lbs test line... i still use fluorocarbon  leader when conditions call for it... take it easy
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 08:24:18 AM »

Thanks again for the response.  Now it may seem like a stupid question, but if I go with braid I would assume that I would need to tie on a leader before my spinner or croc - correct?  Would you suggest a swivel to a 3 - 4 foot leader?  Thanks!  Also - what are the best braids out there that I can get locally??

I use a blood knot to attach lines of similar diameter.  I usually make my leader the length of my rod or less.  I recommend Green TufLine XP or TufLine Plus. PowerPro holds up well too.  TuffLine also has 2 new products Durcast which would be great for spinning reels because it is more round like Sufix and Guide's choice which is a hollow core line making it easy to add a leader but I don't know if the local shops are carrying them. http://www.wfilament.com/rec/tuf.html#tufdc  I would stay away from Fireline and Spiderwire.  My favorite leader line to use is 12lb Gamma flourocarbon but it is expensive.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:33:57 AM by Eagleye »

Nitroholic

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 02:37:10 PM »

One of the best fishing lines out there is seaguar, way better than all the regular line you find in most store , expensive but it worth it .
I'm in the states so you can get it here but i have never seen it in canada . so you might have to order it online .
heading home in 2 days damn i miss bc .

most tackle shops carry it

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 03:49:11 PM »

Here is another vote for braided line. It has all the requirements you looked for, strong, small diameter, soft and limb. I use braided line for almost everything for a few years now and have no complaints.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 11:17:59 PM »

Pacific Angler

arimaBOATER

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 11:33:48 PM »

Metalfisherman ya said that ya thought that Army & Navy has the best prices on fishing line....at least ya thought it was.
I would of agreed with ya....BUT i went into one of those DOLLAR STORES & came across fishing line (1st time I seen fishing line in a DOLLAR STORE)

Anyways there were 30... 20... 8 lb test lines & alot of yds. on the spool ....BELIEVE IT OR NOT each one sold for like $3.00 or something like that... anyways the price was UNBELIEVELY LOW...

noxcape

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 02:14:44 AM »

for the last couple of  years ive being using the braid line from platypus that i got from skaha and i just cant say enough good things about this line you should check it out

fish fishburn

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 04:55:23 AM »

Metalfisherman ya said that ya thought that Army & Navy has the best prices on fishing line....at least ya thought it was.
I would of agreed with ya....BUT i went into one of those DOLLAR STORES & came across fishing line (1st time I seen fishing line in a DOLLAR STORE)

Anyways there were 30... 20... 8 lb test lines & alot of yds. on the spool ....BELIEVE IT OR NOT each one sold for like $3.00 or something like that... anyways the price was UNBELIEVELY LOW...
[/ quote]  I would recomend not buying line at the Dollar Store. My buddy who just moved back to Ont from Victoria is a true dollar store shopper. He bought a bunch of crankbaits from there as well as line. We were out fishing Northerns last week and he gets a nice fish on and after a couple of minutes it gets off. He reels in and the lip and two sets of trebles are gone off his lure.  The funny thing, it that he was really pissed that they would sell such crap.  The more I laughed the more pissed he got.  I told him that the fish he lost was well over 20 lbs, and that made him even more angry.  Hes a great guy but such a tight wad.  Why ruin a chance for a PB fish only to lose it because of inferior tackle. Oh yeah he is having issues with his line as well.  Looks like a big slinky on the water.  If cost is an issue just buy the best you can afford and hope for the best.  On another note if you have kids that  shore fish and lose alot of tackle to snags then by all means buy them dollar store tackle, they don't know the difference anyway and it will keep them out of your tackle bag.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 10:11:55 AM »

Used Maxima Ultra-green for many years and am generally satisfied.

Nitroholic

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 10:39:44 AM »

which ones ?

seen it at nikka and berrys bait

Chuck23

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 03:56:45 PM »

Holy wowza!  Ok thanks guys - certainly have enough info to get started here!  Def. going to switch over to braid after doing further research online (on line!).  Cheers!

James

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 05:03:45 PM »

be careful about purchasing line from a dollar store ... that line could be many years old , as dollar stores tend to get there product from discontinued wholesales .

support a local tackle shop .

I don't use a spinning setup for salmon , but I do for trout , and have found that Berkley makes great lines .

I use Maxima Ultra green for salmon , but that is on a level wind reel or a centerpin .

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 10:00:24 AM »

I was at Army & Navy in New West yesterday and I picked up some 20lb TufLine Duracast.  Looks like really sweet line.  It is round and appears very strong.  $12.99 for 150yds.