Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stocked Lakes: Why keep the wild ones?  (Read 6264 times)

fishnjim

Re: Stocked Lakes: Why keep the wild ones?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 11:43:53 AM »

all i mainbows in them before hatchery enhancementeant to say was to stock some cutthroat instead of always rainbows.  some pf hese sysytems had wild rainbows before enhancement, so what would the difference be in stocking of cutthroat?  why let rainbows take over areas that had mainly cutthroat befoer?

jon5hill

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 12:19:54 PM »

all i mainbows in them before hatchery enhancementeant to say was to stock some cutthroat instead of always rainbows.  some pf hese sysytems had wild rainbows before enhancement, so what would the difference be in stocking of cutthroat?  why let rainbows take over areas that had mainly cutthroat befoer?

I'm not sure which lakes had wild populations of rainbow trout beforehand, but it is my understanding that it is relatively few in comparison to cutthroat trout. There is still a difference, as the ffsbc stocks different strains of Rainbow trout into lakes that certainly didn't have them before.

fishnjim

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 07:43:23 PM »

i am with you on not killing a wild fish like the one you seen dispatched.  thanks for the info.