Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: March To Victoria To Save Our Wild Salmon.  (Read 12728 times)

up early

Re: March To Victoria To Save Our Wild Salmon.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 10:07:01 AM »

why will the fishing lodges in B.C  not back the Walking for Wild Salmon
 NO FISH NO FISHING LODGES

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »

3 days until the final leg of the Get Out Migration. Now is the time to take a day to join in on the march and rally in Victoria on Saturday to show our support for the work of Alexandra and others. Every person that shows up will help make a difference.

I plan to head over on Friday for three days and I hope some others will be able to make the time to do so as well.

Now is the time to stand up for our Wild Salmon stocks.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 02:50:18 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 06:11:45 PM »

Global TV coverage of The Get Out Migration as it ends in Victoria.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=tVSow1MygokzZOHDBa99s317z8BmiyTn

bklem

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 09:51:32 PM »

good to see such support!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 10:01:52 PM »

good to see such support!
Brennan Clarke

Victoria — From Monday's Globe and Mail
Published on Saturday, May. 08, 2010 11:43PM EDT

Last updated on Monday, May. 10, 2010 12:06AM EDT

.As Alexandra Morton watched her supporters pour on to the legislature lawn Saturday, she couldn't help noticing that the final leg of her fish-farming protest walk looked an awful lot like the kind of healthy, wild-salmon run she has spent the past 20 years trying to save.

“I was really, in the true sense of the word, overwhelmed to stand on the legislature steps and see the surge of people coming down Government Street,” Ms. Morton said. “The lawn was full, the streets were pouring. … I felt like I was watching the sockeye go up the Adams River.”

In one of the largest environmental demonstrations the city has ever seen, close to 4,000 people turned out for the culmination of Ms. Morton's 500-kilometre “Get Out Migration” walk that began April 23 in Campbell River.

For Ms. Morton, the event was a turning point in her ongoing battle against open-net salmon farming on B.C.'s coast, much of which she waged in relative anonymity from her home in the Broughton Archipelago, where as much as one-third of the province's farmed salmon is produced.

“I've lobbied government and done the studies and gone through all these steps and nobody would listen. About two months ago, I realized what we need here is the people,” she said.

“I think we're past the point where people are going to sit there and let them take this resource away.”

Research by Ms. Morton and others indicates that farmed salmon pens in the Broughton Archipelago, home to some of B.C.s most important salmon runs, are breeding grounds for pathogens and parasites such as sea lice that infect wild salmon.

Salmon farming companies say they're equally concerned about the region's disappearing salmon stocks, but reject the idea that salmon farming is to blame.

“Something is happening out there in the ocean but to point the finger at the aquaculture industry is irresponsible,” said Nick DiCarlo, sales manager for Mainstream Canada, a division of the Norwegian seafood farming giant Cermeq.

“When you hear someone get up there and make these kind of accusations against your industry, it's tough to swallow.”

But to her supporters, Ms. Morton is an icon of B.C.'s environmental movement, living proof that one determined individual can make a difference.

“We pay millions of dollars for [the Department of Fisheries and Oceans] to do this job and it gets done by somebody who does this for nothing,” Gabriola Island resident Gunther Rudicher said during the protest's mid-afternoon stop in Victoria's Centennial Square.

Francine Trevelle, also from Gabriola Island, said she took part in the walk out of concern that the fate of West Coast salmon stocks is in the hands of foreign-owned corporations.

“There's a time when you have to stand up and say, ‘Wait a minute this is wrong,'” said Ms. Trevelle, who last attended an environmental rally “in the 80s.”

Ms. Morton urged the crowd at Centennial Square to demand that all B.C. salmon farms be moved from open water to closed containment systems on land.

“We can have our salmon farms on land and we can have our wild salmon back,” she said. “We can have both.”

Ms. Morton and her supporters set out from Sidney around 8 a.m. Saturday morning and made the 26-kilometre trek to City Hall in less than seven hours, blocking major roads along the way and drawing the occasional honk of support from passing motorists.

The crowd of about 500 protest walkers swelled to well over 1,000 at Centennial Square before continuing to the legislature where an even larger crowd was waiting.

Saturday's rally was notable as well for the broad cross-section of people it attracted – young and old, male and female, first nations from across the province and a mosaic of other ethnic groups.

Ms. Morton said the walk gave Vancouver Island aboriginal groups an opportunity to set aside their political differences and unite with non-natives in common cause of saving B.C.'s wild salmon.

“We are, all of us, being asked to accept the loss of what was ours,” she said. “The native folks are [saying], ‘Now you know how it feels.' ”

Special to The Globe and Mail

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 10:08:06 PM »

A message from Rafe Mair
May 9, 2010 by Megan Adams
Below are some important thoughts from Rafe Mair on the coverage that the Migration received yesterday, and the details of just how many people care about wild salmon.

Over 5000 people showed up, but some members of the press are only reporting 1000. We just want you to know that we saw you, we all saw each other, and our voices will be heard! Over to you Rafe...

"RAFE HERE

Yesterday, May 8th, was a glorious day for all supporting Alexandra Morton and her walk from Sointula to Victoria demanding that fish farms be self contained or banned from our waters.

The rally started at Centennial Square in Victoria from which the enormous crowd marched to the Legislature where the it probably doubled. It was far and away the biggest protest crowd I’ve seen.

The estimates of the size of the crowd ranged from what I would say was 4000+ to, in two cases, 10,000. I believe the latter estimate is too high but the lawn was jam packed as were the stairs leading up to the door of the Legislature. It was certainly in the thousands. I compared it to the rally over the Pitt River issue two years ago where the high school gym held over 1000 and can say yesterday’s crowd was at least 4 or 5 times larger! 

It was an excited, happy noisy throng who listened to a number of speeches with great enthusiasm and who all came away with a vow to see this fight through to what must certainly be a successful conclusion.

The Vancouver Province reported on this in two short paragraphs on A28 saying that there were nearly 1000 people!

I really no longer know how to describe this rag except to say that it’s little wonder that they’re bankrupt. It’s sad to see this kind of coverage which so badly distorted the truth for so many who couldn’t make this trek themselves...

Calling numbers in a crowd any time is difficult so perhaps it should be left to Vicky Husband, a veteran environmentalist and activist, who holds an Order of Canada, who said it was the biggest environmental gathering that she had ever seen and very likely the biggest in BC history.

It was a simply grand day for Alex who has taken an enormous amount of crap since she started this fight over 8 years ago and to see her so honoured by so many brought tears to many eyes, including mine.

To see her, once again, insulted by the mainstream media saddens all of us fighting this battle but makes us all realize that in some cases, this certainly being one, it’s high praise indeed to be ill judged by your enemies."

Once again, you can balance off coverage by a media that seems little more than a PR advocate for government by forwarding this to your address book

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »

As Rafe stated it was very bad press in saying only a thousand people were at the Leg, hell there was at least 1,000 walking during the end of the Migration.

Therefore I sent Barry Penner, Campbell, Shea and others this note below with some picture to show the crowd.

Good morning Barry,

I attach 4 photo's from The Get Out Migration at the Leg on Saturday so
you can get the idea of the number of people there. I made the trip
myself and it was amazing the number people that attended.  Hopefully
you will see thousands of people that took part not only in Victoria on
the weekend but during Alexandra Morton's walk down Vancouver Island are
very concerned about these fish farms along the British Columbia  coast.
I am sure you will do everything you can by working with the Federal
Government's Fishery Minister Gail Shea, Fisheries and Oceans Canada to
get all Atlantic fish farms out of the ocean and onto land based
containment before it is too late. I am sure as Environment Minister you
too must be very concerned about the damage caused by fish farms that
you see happening as the years slip by and our wild salmon stocks
continue to dwindle. First Nations, commercial fishers, recreational
anglers, the general public and animals along with the whole ecosystem
that depend on our wild salmon returning to our rivers each year want
action now. We all want to "Believe" British Columbia is The Best Place
on Earth.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 10:57:12 AM »

Do you know which press reported the low numbers? A few letters to the editors might be in order....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 11:59:32 AM »

Do you know which press reported the low numbers? A few letters to the editors might be in order....
The Vancouver Province and Sun. On The Get Migration web page they are on it and lots have been going in but more would not hurt.

I just sent you some pictures.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:02:09 PM by chris gadsden »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »

"One of four VicPD officers assigned to the event put the crowd at between 4,000 and 5,000 people."
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 05:20:25 PM »

"One of four VicPD officers assigned to the event put the crowd at between 4,000 and 5,000 people."
From all the video and pictures I took I would say this is a realistic number.

Here is an update from Alexandra that she just sent out.
Hello

Once again it is up to us.

The Get Out Migration was a powerful and wildly successful effort.  People in every town we passed through and on the road volunteered their time and expertise and the result is emergence of the people of the salmon, people who are strong, independent and understand the contribution of salmon in our lives, our future and our economy. The First Nation voice set the tone and eloquence - uniting, legendary and welcoming.  People of all ages walked side-by-side to ensure a future where our children can thrive.   We shut down one lane of highway 17 and the police kindly let us walk without traffic lights along Quadra and Government Streets. The Parliament lawns reportedly hold 20,000 people and looking out over the sea of people less than 1/3 of the lawn was visible.

And yet BC's two biggest newspapers mention there were only ---- "nearly 1000 people".  This is so wrong in so many ways.

("Sea of people marches to fight fish farms" (The Times Colonist, 9th May): http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/people+marches+fight+fish+farms/3006060/story.html)

There is no mention of our First Nation families and friends and the number of people was five to ten times lower than reality. You can see video blogs of the Get Out Migration at salmonaresacred.org

Those of us who were at the Parliament Buildings in Victoria on May 8 saw who we are and that we exist,  a powerful, peaceful, huge community of people!   As we walked down the highway thousands more honked, waved, gave us a thumbs up, leaned out the windows cheering! Musicians played for us from the mountains to the sea. I believe we are a majority, but with the stroke of a pen thousands of us were deleted, so that the rest of Canada and the world do not know we exist.

The power of one is all we have BUT WE ALL HAVE IT!  If we use it, we will get to keep our fish, our communities and our way of life.  The great walk for wild salmon was peaceful, powerful, fun and it is clearly not over.  Each us must do what we can to impress on government that they work for us and that we simply demand the opportunity to thrive, that we want our generous fish, the salmon. There are no losers here if you remove the European shareholders in the salmon farm companies from this equation. Land-based aquaculture exists, is feasible and is being done by British Columbia, there could be jobs in it if government supported it.  There is no reason we need to beg for low paying jobs, raising fish we cannot touch, when we could have millions of salmon returning to us!

Here are some ideas:

Please reply and tell me if your First Nation, town, society, business, etc. supports the removal of fish farms from the ocean.  I and others will do what we can to make you visible!

Write to the Times Colonist editor and tell them how many people you saw: letters@tc.canwest.com

Write your MP to Get salmon farms out of our oceans: http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

Write your MLA to support BC land-based aquaculture and to buy back the salmon farm ocean leases: http://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/3-1-7.htm

Write to MP Fin Donnelly to say you support his bill to remove salmon farms from the ocean: http://www.findonnelly.ca/

Write to Stephen Harper and tell him its time for a BC Fisheries Minister  FYI John Duncan supports salmon farming, personally I have found John Cummins the best informed about our fish: pm@pm.gc.ca

Other notices:

We have some Get Out Migration and Salmon are Sacred T shirts left if you want one go to the donations button 1/2 way down the home page at salmonaresacred.org. Make a $25 donation and in the "message space" give your size and whether you want the Black or White shirts. Make sure you fill in your address.  For the Back Bone of the Coast shirts go to http://www.oceanaura.com/magento/index.php/clothing

In answer to all the folks wanting to purchase my books go to alexadramorton.ca

If you do not want to be part of this community of voices write UNSUBSCRIBE in the Subject Line

Salmon Are Sacred and we do exist!

Alexandra Morton

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 03:39:35 PM »

Just got this from Don

Chris

Here's a new video from Mark Worthing and Salmon Are Sacred - great quote from Rafe Mair and song from Chief Bob Chamberlin: http://www.vimeo.com/11694901

Please spread around your contacts.