Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fight The HST!  (Read 146618 times)

bluesteele

Re: Fight The HST!
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 06:52:27 PM »

ANYONE who thinks goods may decrease  in cost is absolutely delusional ! More paper work for us who are self employed contractors for example.
Just what I want. It's nothing more than a TAX GRAB  >:(

ANYONE who thinks Gordito and his Banditos are doing it for the good of the consumer is off their rocker LOL...

Those who think the HST is a good thing probably think IPP's /ROR projects are a good thing. After all Gordo said so . LMAO

Libs get real, wake up and smell the coffee.  ;)

Bluesteele

nosey

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 07:59:49 AM »

Well one point two billion dollars sure sounds like a lot of money, I mean really that's the same amount as we got when we leased out BC rail, look at all the help that's been to the schools and hospitals in BC, seriously look at how the 600 promised jobs to the Prince George area CN has created that came with the leasing of BC rail has helped the interior. Hmmmmmmm more broken promises or flat out lies. Since Gordon and the Liberals have been in power their fiscal responsibility policies have taken the provincial dept from 34 billion to almost 70 billion now, that 1.2 bil won't even cover the interest on that. Our unemployment rate has never been as low as it was in 2001 under the former government, anyone that thinks we're better off now just because the liberals tell them we are better look at the numbers. Naturally if we away the province there will be all kinds of big companies show up to take it off our hands but they have to be made to pay  some of the bills while they're here the HST is just downloading more of the expenses of running the province from the rich to the working class and damn near everyone I talk to that is on this forum are working class people.
  I hope this HST thing serves to topple the Liberals out of power but by the time the next election roles around BC will be close to 100 billion in dept the way things are going and no future government will ever be able to bring back the standard of living we once had with that kind of dept load, like I said earlier the HST won't even pay the interest on the money the liberals have borrowed since they've been in power, they keep making cor perate tax cuts, so it's just the working people that the burden falls on.
  Gordon give us a break, do the best thing for the people of BC  fall on your sword, resign, retire to Norway where your money"s coming from, just get out of Victoria your government and it's policies have failed.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 08:25:56 AM »

Just saw on the news that a house buyer will be paying an extra 7 % on a house on July 1. $400,000 dwelling will mean an extra $2,800 in tax than it is now. ::)

No wonder the government likes this.

--I believe 7% is 28,000 not much of a difference.
--HST is coming and here to stay so I think we should be pushing to ensure it is fairly implemented. For example if HST on restaurant is the current liquor tax etc going to come off... how about hotel tax etc. if these and other taxes are removed. Why should HST apply to government user fees such as fishing licence etc.

--some will recall that federal government promised to get rid of GST but didn't so lets ensure we spend our collective minds on how best to implement the HST which will not go away with a change of government no matter what the other parties promise.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 08:29:22 AM »

Well one point two billion dollars sure sounds like a lot of money, I mean really that's the same amount as we got when we leased out BC rail, look at all the help that's been to the schools and hospitals in BC, seriously look at how the 600 promised jobs to the Prince George area CN has created that came with the leasing of BC rail has helped the interior. Hmmmmmmm more broken promises or flat out lies. Since Gordon and the Liberals have been in power their fiscal responsibility policies have taken the provincial dept from 34 billion to almost 70 billion now, that 1.2 bil won't even cover the interest on that. Our unemployment rate has never been as low as it was in 2001 under the former government, anyone that thinks we're better off now just because the liberals tell them we are better look at the numbers. Naturally if we away the province there will be all kinds of big companies show up to take it off our hands but they have to be made to pay  some of the bills while they're here the HST is just downloading more of the expenses of running the province from the rich to the working class and damn near everyone I talk to that is on this forum are working class people.
  I hope this HST thing serves to topple the Liberals out of power but by the time the next election roles around BC will be close to 100 billion in dept the way things are going and no future government will ever be able to bring back the standard of living we once had with that kind of dept load, like I said earlier the HST won't even pay the interest on the money the liberals have borrowed since they've been in power, they keep making cor perate tax cuts, so it's just the working people that the burden falls on.
  Gordon give us a break, do the best thing for the people of BC  fall on your sword, resign, retire to Norway where your money"s coming from, just get out of Victoria your government and it's policies have failed.

Sounds like Carol James wrote that for you.    ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:33:28 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 08:45:36 AM »

Just saw on the news that a house buyer will be paying an extra 7 % on a house on July 1. $400,000 dwelling will mean an extra $2,800 in tax than it is now. ::)

You missed a decimal place - $28,000

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2010, 08:47:29 AM »

--I believe 7% is 28,000 not much of a difference.
--HST is coming and here to stay so I think we should be pushing to ensure it is fairly implemented. For example if HST on restaurant is the current liquor tax etc going to come off... how about hotel tax etc. if these and other taxes are removed. Why should HST apply to government user fees such as fishing licence etc.

--some will recall that federal government promised to get rid of GST but didn't so lets ensure we spend our collective minds on how best to implement the HST which will not go away with a change of government no matter what the other parties promise.
Never was good in math.  ::)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 08:52:49 AM »

Just saw on the news that a house buyer will be paying an extra 7 % on a house on July 1. $400,000 dwelling will mean an extra $28,000 in tax than it is now. ::)

You need to tell the whole story......   ;)

To offset the increase in costs, the Government of BC plans to offer a partial rebate of the provincial portion of the HST for new (and substantially renovated existing) housing to ensure that new homes up to $525,000 will bear no more tax than under the current PST system, while homes above $525,000 will receive a flat rebate of $26,250. New home sales over $525,000 will be impacted, as buyers will have to pay an additional 7% tax less the $26,250 flat rebate.

http://www.bcrea.bc.ca/hst/faq.htm#11
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »

You need to tell the whole story......   ;)

To offset the increase in costs, the Government of BC plans to offer a partial rebate of the provincial portion of the HST for new (and substantially renovated existing) housing to ensure that new homes up to $525,000 will bear no more tax than under the current PST system, while homes above $525,000 will receive a flat rebate of $26,250. New home sales over $525,000 will be impacted, as buyers will have to pay an additional 7% tax less the $26,250 flat rebate.

http://www.bcrea.bc.ca/hst/faq.htm#11
You should run for the Liberals in the next election. ;D ;D ;D Thanks for the clarification and I should have researched it more thoroughly but I still don't like it and I will be going to sign up tonight as a canvasser to get names at the meeting with gardener Bill tonight.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:27:41 AM by chris gadsden »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 10:46:48 AM »

You should run for the Liberals in the next election. ;D ;D ;D Thanks for the clarification and I should have researched it more thoroughly but I still don't like it and I will be going to sign up tonight as a canvasser to get names at the meeting with gardener Bill tonight.

No problem Chris.

I won't be running for the liberals. Probably because I know that by speaking the truth nobody would ever vote for me!!! I believe all politicians will say whatever they need to get into power and stay in power.  On the HST issue I just want to do myl part to help clarify what the HST actually will do,whether I like it or not.

Say Hi to Bill for me........     and mention to him that I think he should stick to gardening!!!   ;D ;D ;D

bcguy

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »

And this is the problem! You and probably most of the anti HST'ers are upset with Campbell for one reason or another and you are using the new HST to vent. No problem with being upset with Campbell but why use the HST campaign?

The whole anti HST campaign loses credibility when it's real motive is to complain about Campbell. There are many more positives than negatives about the HST. 7 out of 10 provinces are incorporating it! Only Manitoba, Saskatchewan and PEI are currently holding out. Manitoba is probably the next province to incorporate HST and they have an NDP government.

The help for small business has been simplification of their tax collecting duties. Now they only need to collect one tax not 2 taxes. I've owned  a business in Ontario and that is huge!!!  The HST will benefit the consumer over the long run because many products we buy and pay PST and GST on have PST incorporated in the price. This is because our current system doesn't allow the business to claim back the PST it pays before it sells a product to you or I. In a competitive market that will knock between 3-5% off many products. Although all  taxes suck, simpler is better when it comes to taxes.

Save your Campbell frustrations for the next election and express them there....   where they can actually make a difference!  ???

Well, I think there is alot of propagnada being spewed, half truths.... blahblahblah.
But heres the thing, been involved in business operations for a good 20 yrs now, and SUPRIZE!!! There is a thing called a PST number that most, if not all businesses (manufacturers) use. NO ONE pays PST, its called an exemption number. Only certain things are not exempt from PST under the current laws. So there is very little PST being included in manufactured goods (other than certain consumables) for sale in BC already. If you buy... say...10 tons of steel for a project, the company you buy it from doesnt charge you PST, because you're exempt (remember that thing called the PST number). Under the current regs, a company pays GST, but then later submits it for refund, usually on a quarterly basis, now imagine you have say $100,000 or $200,000 in payables on a monthly basis,
your company has to hold over 3 months, the cost of the GST (5%) they are charged to buy raw materials for production. So if you have, for simplicity sake, to hold $15,000 over 3 months (remember quarterly) before your rebate is refunded to your business, but under the HST, you will now have to hold $36,000, how is this allowing a manufacturer to save money, 1) They already dont pay PST, and 2) they will now have to pay out even more before seeing it returned to their working capital (cashflow).
As far as retailers  and streamlining etc, big deal, there is business software out there most if not all businesses use to calculate the end user taxes they are expected to submit to the govt, with a push of a button, a savings of at least a whole 5 minutes...BIG DEAL, no folks, no matter the propaganda you hear spewed from the mouths of the fiberals, take this to the bank...this is a cash grab PERIOD, there will be no savings to pass on, and the reason provinces are going this route? 1) Federal incentives 2) More money into general revenue from you and me from more taxes.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 09:33:30 PM »

Under the current regs, a company pays GST, but then later submits it for refund, usually on a quarterly basis,

i) That's a bureaucratic nightmare. Why not just exempt the GST at the source rather than paying it and then submit for refund ?

ii) Why are the Feds so interested in having the provinces harmonize their sales tax ? What do they gain ?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »

i) ii) Why are the Feds so interested in having the provinces harmonize their sales tax ? What do they gain ?
I video tapped some of Bill's presentation tonight and he explains this. I will get them up on u tube for you in the next day or so.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 10:37:27 PM »

i) That's a bureaucratic nightmare. Why not just exempt the GST at the source rather than paying it and then submit for refund ?

ii) Why are the Feds so interested in having the provinces harmonize their sales tax ? What do they gain ?

--I think that is the plus side point... this should reduce the cost of collecting the tax and the amount of paperwork and recordkeeping by business owners.
--feds get the province to collect the tax for them and I think actually pay the province some portion for collection.
--feds can lay off some of their employees currently adminsitering GST only taxes.
--Please don't bother to quote me as I am not an expert on this.. I do not know if Provincial or Fedeal employees actually collect the tax but the idea was to greatly reduce admin by having only one agency collect thus reducing overhead on the collection.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2010, 10:40:39 PM »

i) The idea with GST and HST is that the end consumer should pay the tax. It's hard to determine in advance who the end consumer is so GST/HST is charged every time something is sold and rebated if the product is resold. This is different from the current system where some items that are not PST exempt get resold and PST ends up charged on top of PST. The consumer ends up paying more for the products.

ii) The Feds want it harmonized for a number of reasons.... they do have something to gain.
      - They probably will be able to collect more tax (more revenue for them)
      - They are doing businesses a favor because it's simpler collecting one tax rather than 2 taxes.
      - They are saving the provinces a lot of money because the province no longer needs the staff to administer/collect the PST. The Feds are responsible for collecting the HST and they will send the province a cheque.

Businesses are the biggest fans of the new HST because it is simpler to administer and in spite of what bcguy says, it will lower their costs. While businesses will owe a bigger HST cheque than the current GST cheque that they submit each quarter, what bcguy didn't mention is that they will be collecting more HST tax when they sell their product. Remember the HST they pay out is subtracted from what they collect in HST and only a cheque for the difference is sent to the feds. The net effect is exactly the same as under the current system!

Because the BC government will be collecting less PST they will make up for that by charging the HST on more items. The BC government no longer legislates what items are subject to HST, the Feds make those rules. Lower income families will get a bigger rebate than the GST rebate they currently get.(to compensate for paying more tax)  Most of the items you see on the HST list are items that will be purchased by higher income families. Theoretically they can afford it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »

No problem Chris.

I won't be running for the liberals. Probably because I know that by speaking the truth nobody would ever vote for me!!! I believe all politicians will say whatever they need to get into power and stay in power.  On the HST issue I just want to do myl part to help clarify what the HST actually will do,whether I like it or not.

Say Hi to Bill for me........     and mention to him that I think he should stick to gardening!!!   ;D ;D ;D
Said hi to Bill for you tonight but he does not remember you, I said you fished and were not a gardener so he said that explains it. ;D ;D

A very large crowd at the gathering tonight, in the hundreds and many including me signed up to canvas names starting April 6.

I video tapped some of Bill's presentation so I will get up on u tube in a day or so for you to view. They have made many stops and will be in Vancouver and onto the Island in the next few days.