Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stave river cutthroat  (Read 14410 times)

SD49

Re: stave river cutthroat
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 10:49:54 PM »

ok...if you are interested in knowing about the Stave River Cutthroat fishery I'll give what info I have. I've lived on the river for over 11 yrs...my name is Dave... Stave...eh...probably used to fish it 200 plus days a year, probably more. I'm getting older now and don't get out quite that much but, here it goes. The best time to target Cutthroat, in the Stave, is mid March-May(with the milder , warmer weather). That's when the schools of wild and hatchery Cutthroat enter the Stave and herd the  Chum fry(which are free-swimming by then) into bait balls. Then, they thrash and explode on the surface, attacking the bait balls of Chum fry, gorging themselves. That's the BEST time..... You can catch the odd fish in winter...usually Nov thru early Jan. after all the salmon die but, after all  the food is gone, the Cutties are too...like ghosts...here today, gone tomorrow. Cutties like a stable barometer in springtime, like most trout.... in Jan-Feb when the cold Northeast winds blow systems thru the Stave Valley fishing for Cutties or for everything isn't that great. Patience and timing is everything...watch for rising fish. March is coming soon....then get out there. My two cents, but, hey...what do I know....

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 11:30:33 PM »

thanks and yes i do need to work on my grammar punctuation and spelling. i guess thats why English class was invented thanks for pointing that out Rodney. maybe i should type the first word before i think about the next word. and using a bigger keyboard might help.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

steve B

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »

SD49 your not stave dave are you of maple ridge

SD49

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 11:53:05 AM »

...is that you Steve?....yes, u are right....

steve B

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »

ya its me im all over this site