- 4 (6%)
Coho
- 58 (86.6%)
Steelhead
- 1 (1.5%)
Cutthroat
- 4 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: any consensus on what species this fish is?  (Read 6481 times)

fish bonk

Re: any consensus on what species this fish is?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 12:13:44 AM »

Me thinks its a little Ho  ;D

gordc

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 08:48:53 AM »

coho

penn

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 09:15:37 AM »

Cutthroat , going by the jaw line that far back .Lots of spots like a cutty too .

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 11:20:08 AM »

WOW, its shocking to see how many people don't know their fish ID (ie anyone GUESSING its anything other than COHO)....sheesh  ::)

Get with it gang....guessing is how cultas lake sockeye get bonked after being mistaken as a coho.  >:(

No one should be guessing when it comes to their fish ident...go out do some research, look at some picks, learn the defining features and finally, iand f you are not 100% sure defer to someone that is....DON'T GUESS!!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »

Shocking, just shocking. That's clearly a spotty northern pikeminnow. Sheesh.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »

While haveing worked in the fish enhancement field for over 25 years and haveing released millions of the little guys over that time...the winner is ?      coho!

Fisherama

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 02:15:21 PM »

WOW, its shocking to see how many people don't know their fish ID (ie anyone GUESSING its anything other than COHO)....sheesh  ::)

Get with it gang....guessing is how cultas lake sockeye get bonked after being mistaken as a coho.  >:(

No one should be guessing when it comes to their fish ident...go out do some research, look at some picks, learn the defining features and finally, iand f you are not 100% sure defer to someone that is....DON'T GUESS!!!!

Lol, I was waiting for this post... I agree that fish identification is extremely important, but it's a learning process.  And as fisherman, you release anything that you can not identify with complete confidence.  Most of the time, especially with adult fish, ID is fairly obvious, but it can be tricky with juveniles.  You have to admit that given only the first picture, which does not clearly show the inside of the mouth, the fish can be confused as a chinook since spots can be found on both the upper and bottom lobes of the tail, as opposed to a coho where the spots are typically only on the upper lobe.  However, it becomes more apparent in the 2nd picture with a clear view of the inside of the mouth.  All I'm saying is that it can be tricky based solely on one photo, and to denounce people as such is a little harsh  :D ;D.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 03:19:01 PM »

This was a good test as stated earlier when in doubt release and be sure before bonking.
Riverman

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »

In my opinion , fish identification should be a basic fundimental for every fisherman .... my apologies Rodney if you disagree and you think its a joke.

Every year it happens, we see people drag fish up on the rocks, realize they cant keep it, and throw it back.  I heard stories this pink season of FWR members misidentifying fish - I believe it was a wild coho bonk in the belief it was  a pink (of all things).  There are a ton of very experienced anglers here and a ton of newbies.  I think the single greatest resource this board offers a new fisher is access to info shared by more experieinced anglers....so when you see a guys with more that 1000 posts saying its a coho it makes me shake my head  to see people still are guessing incorrectly!  

Either way, guessing isn't a game we should encourage when it comes to fish identifiction.  Like I said, sorry if ya'll don't thake it as seriously as I do!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »

I take it seriously and agree, but I just have more patience than you. ;)

One should realize that I specific designed this website to mostly cater individuals who have very little or no fishing experience, therefore it shouldn't be a shock to see wrong fish identification from time to time. Correct them, provide your reasons and explanations, but it's not necessary to judge them when there's very little information on each participant's background. It could be a 13 year old, it could be a 80 year old, it could be a city slicker, it could be someone who has not had post-secondary education.

Anyway, I guess it's not a spotty northern pikeminnow. It's a coho.

jon5hill

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »

However, it becomes more apparent in the 2nd picture with a clear view of the inside of the mouth.  

The second picture was posted by someone else, and is of an entirely different fish.

Fisherama

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 03:59:12 PM »

The second picture was posted by someone else, and is of an entirely different fish.

You're right! But you can see that the gums of the fish in the 2nd picture are white, while still possessing spots on the upper and lower portions of tail.  This tells me that my initial assumption, which was based only on the tail spots in the first picture, was incorrect.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:07:18 PM by Fisherama »

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 05:34:11 PM »

What wrong with asking a question? The question was asked, people gave the benefit of their knowledge and now everyone who read the thread is aware of the differences they should be looking for. Win win IMO.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:35:47 PM by nickredway »

jon5hill

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 05:55:46 PM »

Yeah, well said nickredway. It's good to talk about the differences because some people have different and or easier cues for identification which may be useful for identifying tricky looking fish like this one.

Brian

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 05:57:33 PM »

White gums, spotted back, I think it's a coho.

+1 that's the first thing I looked for, was the gums.