Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2009?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon  (Read 195086 times)

mattyo

Re: 2009 Fraser River pink salmon
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Rod. Where do they get those sweet fishing boata ? ;D. I heard they shut down the salmon fishery from agassiz bridge to hope 1 bridge effective Sunday night.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 09:32:16 PM by mattyo »

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 10:46:04 AM »

Did a drive by to Ambleside yesterday and spoke to a couple of fishers who reported that a few pinks have been caught earlier in the week. Seymour river mouth, stayed for 45 mins talking to people and nothing showing while  I was there. Cates park some pinks showing on the surface and spoke to a fellow who hit a few fishing early morning with buzz bombs.
It ain't the roe bro'

gman

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 01:13:28 PM »

I've seen some pinks onthe Fraser the last couple of days (lots of sockeye). The pinks were not in big enough schools to get me to grab my rod yet, but it as till nice to see some. Soon.... :)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »

I seen 6 pinks killed at brownsvill bar last night (sat) on the high tide, about 8 guys fishing.

stokie

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 02:25:40 PM »

Hi Folks,

Newbie here....  :)

I've seen lots of posts re: timing (tides) to target Pinks. Incoming being the best time.  Would any of you have any resources for incoming tide schedules and what is the earliest time to start fishing if you do know when it starts to come in?  An hour or two before it hits peak?

One other thing, what is the best set up in terms of spinning gear for the Fraser?  I have an old trout rod but think it might not be good enough for the strong currents of the Fraser.  Oh, and any deals out there (Berry's, Steveston Marine, Nikka?) worth looking into?

Tight lines folks,
Stokie

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 05:36:40 PM »

Hey there,

You can use this site: http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi?queryType=showZone&language=english&region=1&zone=10 and probably click on the Sand Heads tide link.  Best bet, go and fish two hours before and after the tide change and you shouldn't have a problem.  Fish will be surprisingly in close and fish your lure right back to your feet more or less - lots of pinks will grab them right there (just like coho) and then take off.  Great sport from such underrated fish.

Good luick.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 07:53:11 PM »

I use: http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/van

The graph gives you a good idea how big the tidal difference is.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 09:45:22 PM »

Hey Rodney, how many hours would you add to that site to get the tides for Abby.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bmynbr

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 12:02:18 AM »

I was wondering why lots of people are against taking fish from the fraser around Surrey, New West area.  I know the water is not the cleanest, but does it really effect them, and if so, are they not still effected when they hit the vedder.  Nobody minds taking a fish from the vedder, but it seems to me they where just in the fraser.
Just curious, as I am still new to fishing
Thanks, Dave

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 12:22:28 AM »

Good question. I often wonder about that logic too.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 12:37:54 AM »

Who's against taking fish from the Fraser around Surrey and New West? I've never come across it on the forum at least.

They are just as polluted as when they are caught in the Vedder.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 12:49:19 AM »

One other thing, what is the best set up in terms of spinning gear for the Fraser?  I have an old trout rod but think it might not be good enough for the strong currents of the Fraser.  Oh, and any deals out there (Berry's, Steveston Marine, Nikka?) worth looking into?

Regarding setup, this write-up I mentioned earlier should cover most of your question.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2007/0807_01.html

The trout rod should be ok for pink salmon, as long as your line strength is at least 6lb test. Ideally, you want to be using more than 6lb test, if there are lots of people fishing around you. This way you can control your fish more and cause less disruption for anglers around you. For fishing rods, I tend to look for a rod that has the test strength 4 to 10lb, or 6 to 10lb. 6ft is long enough, but longer ones like 8ft allows you to stand a bit further up from the water. The shoreline along the Tidal Fraser can be pounded by waves a lot of times, because of constant ship traffic. Standing higher up allows you to avoid being disturbed by the waves. The current is not an issue most of the time.

bmynbr

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 07:33:11 AM »

Thanks rodney, I have talked to quite a few people that say they would never keep a fish from the lower fraser.  It just never made sense to me.

gman

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 08:45:27 AM »

Thanks rodney, I have talked to quite a few people that say they would never keep a fish from the lower fraser.  It just never made sense to me.

Personally, I would probably not eat a fish that lives permanently in the lower fraser. The ones that are open are mostly coarse fish like pikeminnow, chub ets. Even these are probably ok, but between them being coarse fish and living below the sewage outfall it kind of turns me off. Salmon migrate through the river and by the time you catch them in the Fraser or tributaris they have been in the Fraser for only a few days..