Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Chilliwack River Valley Has Been Invaded  (Read 11932 times)

bluesteele

Re: The Chilliwack River Valley Has Been Invaded
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 10:47:44 PM »

Hmmm. Looks like the Coquihalla does every weekend. Part that kills me is the Coq. is closed to fishing and even this weekend people were flinging
lmetal in it. Not trying toi derail this thread but just wanted to bring it up. DOnt bother to ask me about reporting and RAPP  DONE.

Just made me think of it reading this thread and the similar roadside/river camping which is so prevalent on the COQ.

The garbage left behind is atrocious. PIGS...

Bluesteele

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 11:07:01 PM »

I understood a couple of years ago a few anglers, some from Hope were putting up signs and got a Wilderness Watch program going on the Coq.. Have not heard much about it lately but maybe it is still active.

dspot

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 12:53:07 AM »

Wow those people are slobs... who the hell leaves a mess like that

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »

A report I was sent today re the Long Weekend in the Valley.

The weekend was a real mess with two vehicles actually in the river at the point it occasionally floods the road. I had reports of topless women dancing in the road at Slesse hatchery, a vehicle parked cross ways across the bridge at Slesse while the occupants went a little beserk on a ATV. Not sure why they did not think that traffic coming down the hill might not slam into them but....!
Not much police presence mentioned but....... I was stopped and license and registration taken by a very young policeman on duty at a road block on Tamihi this Thursday 8.00pm who informed me proudly he was one of twelve given duty between here and Harrison. He was not sure if they would be in the Valley this weekend but knew he was going to break up a grad party somewhere later. He did not ask if I had alcohol but maybe that was because I was on my way home.
This is the second year we have seen all kinds of 0 tolerance...police force etc in the papers for the first long weekend but no one actually appearing to follow through. Most of the element associated with the mess and parties probably dont read...

salmon river

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 03:50:32 AM »

1 Comment BC parks, forests and campsites in the Chilliwack area will be crawling with cops this long weekend patrolling on foot, bikes, ATVs and squad cars to enforce “zero tolerance” for liquor.

Members of a special seasonal enforcement team will also be patrolling the lakes and rivers in the area.

“The biggest concern isn’t our local people,” RCMP Const. Lea-Anne Dunlop said Wednesday, but student grads and holidayers from outside the Fraser Valley who haven’t got the message.

Some visitors feel they can “just let go” because they are out in a remote area and no one is watching them, said park manager Dale Green.

“But they are being watched and will be dealt with as often as we can,” he warned.

Dunlop said all visitors to the area can expect to be checked for alcohol.

“Alcohol is the single largest problem we see in our recreation areas,” she said, and booze often leads to violence, accidents on area roads and waters, and other criminal activities like theft.

and here i thought tax payers owned crown land..sounds more like a police state to me.

I know some wreck things for the many but as long as you are camping on Government or crown land that is owned by the people and are legal drinking age and causing no problems, the police should not be able to take your booze..this is Canada not North Korea...

Davis

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »

Wow those photos say it all.I find it appalling and it makes my blood boil when i see the carnage left behind by these animals let loose! Thanks Chris i will check out that web site and get involved with the cleanup.Its heartbreaking to see our beautiful valley treated like sh-t.

jeff

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 10:24:23 AM »

I was stoped at the bridge on friday on my way up to Chilliwack lake. The cop just asked where I was going I told him Chilliwack Lake and that was it didint ask about booze or anything.
Enjoying the water..........

odesseus

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »

Seeing that sort of carelessness breaks my heart; seeing those bullet holes though makes me think that I would leave it up to the RCMP to ask them to clean up.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »

Saw tonight on the CTV news at 6 a feature on the garbage dumping by grads and others at camping areas in the Squamish Valley.

It seems to be a constant problem through out British Columbia, sad.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 09:36:16 PM »

Here's a story that will warm your hearts. A couple of weeks I was out fishing and there was a group of exchange of approx. 10 exchange students having a barbecue on the river bank. They were enjoying the food and having a few wobbly pops. They weren't making any loud noises. When they were finished they packed everything into plastic bags and coolers and left. The only thing they left behind were ice that was used to keep their drinks cold. The place was spotless.