Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Definition of Beako  (Read 8821 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: The Definition of Beako
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 04:45:28 PM »

Thanks for the info Rodney.   Fortunately I don't take all of this too seriously.   I get out there to have fun and really don't care what some ***** think regardless of experience level.

JordsyU

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 05:06:52 PM »

Theres nothing wrong with being a beako, im quite proud of being one actually!
Beako for Life

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 05:09:30 PM »

My name is jim and I'm a beek too.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 05:35:16 PM »

The term Beek at one time used to mean an experienced rod. Today however Beek is used to describe the weekend warrior type that shows up to the river in his gumbies and spinning rod + tackle box in hand... To me a beek is the type of guy who races to every spot on the river that he has heard a fish has been taken and proceeds to grow roots... Also, ever seen a guy pick up his pace and book it to the spot you were walking to? Thats a BEEK!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 05:45:45 PM »

Theres nothing wrong with being a beako, im quite proud of being one actually!
Me too as are most anglers. ;D I feel in sportsfishing we are all on a learning curve as there is so many different types of fishing one can attempt to learn. I know if I was out trying to cast a spey rod I would be disaster to say the least.

The main thing is to be out there and enjoy ourselves while on a river, at a lake or fishing the ocean, no matter what your skill level is. Sometimes we tend to take things way to serious in our fishing circles. Most of our lives are stressful enough without making it more so while discussing fishing topics be it on a web site or elsewhere.

PS
 Rodney describes it well above and that why he is the moderator and FWR is the top fishing web site in the North West for fishing information, tail tales, video's and much more. Sometimes we forget how lucky we are to have this forum as well as our moderators. Maybe we all need to work harder to make it better as we all should be part of a fishing family here on FWR. I know at times I have failed to live up to that statement. I am getting off topic here, I guess I am indeed a beako. ;D ;D

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »

It's a term that I (and friends who fish use) to point out a person, and upon seeing that individual expect a laugh or chuckle. Funny how people get worked up over a pic that THEY THEMSELVES posted then later forget about until it is brought back to light. Also funny how two of the "questionable photos" I took had to be removed.
hmmm...why would you suppose I forgot about that photo - did I say that I had forgotten it?

That old boot was my proud catch of the year and I will also proudly state that I am a "beek" now that I have a better understanding what the term means :) With luck I will have plenty more big bad old colored chums to display on this site and I can be nominated the beek of the year  ;D  (I think there should be a competition)

As for the guy who shows up in his gumbies and races around from spot to spot.  Thats me too - got to start somewhere. [Though I do know it is not good form to race someone else to a spot and I do know a bit about etiquette].

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 06:42:09 PM by fishseeker »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 08:47:26 PM »

If it's ankle deep and you show up fishing with gum-boots on ,IT DOSEN'T MAKE YOU A BEEK.  >:(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 09:43:51 PM »

There is no specific definition of the term "beak". It's a generic derogatory term used by some fishermen who likes to deride other fishermen who do not conform to their own values or beliefs. Here are some examples:

- people wearing yellow raingear

- using spinning reels and carrying tackle boxes

- drift or bottom bouncing

- people fishing on the Fraser for sockeyes

- keeping dark fish

- snagging fish

- using braid lines

- dragging fish up the beach

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 10:47:59 PM »

I can guarantee that Jordsy is definitely a beako, an honorary pink BEAKO with a nice jacket... ;)

Everyone starts out as a Beak, the person who isn't quite sure what to use, doesn't know the water they're fishing, doesn't know the etiquette (if there is such a thing anymore), and may not even know what kind of fish they're after.  Some people never progress, they become the Ultra Beak.  This is the person who will do whatever it takes to catch fish, barge in on others, snag, and generally be unpleasant to be around.  The key is to learn, grow and move into the realm of Beako.  This becomes a term of endearment, a badge that one can be proud to wear. ;D

Beakobegone

A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

fyrslyer

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 09:13:37 AM »

whats wrong with using a tackle box or spinning reels?

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 09:55:47 AM »

For info: the beek is normally slang for a magistrate in the UK and sometimes used for policeman.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 10:43:48 AM »

whats wrong with using a tackle box or spinning reels?

Absolutely nothing in my opinion but there are certain anglers out there that consider them to be beginners and therefore beeks.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 04:01:35 PM »

There is no specific definition of the term "beak". It's a generic derogatory term used by some fishermen who likes to deride other fishermen who do not conform to their own values or beliefs. Here are some examples:

- drift or bottom bouncing

- people fishing on the Fraser for sockeyes

- keeping dark fish

- snagging fish

- using braid lines

- dragging fish up the beach

- people that take a bucket with them fishing.

I have seen it a couple times and never really understood why.
Be careful now, I took a bucket along coho fishing a couple of times the past season to sit on, no not what you are thinking. ;D ;D I used it to sit on when tying up and taking a rest at the run we were fishing. Wait until you become an old timer and you will understand. :-\ ;D

nutsford

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 04:27:26 PM »

You got it chris the word is "BEAK" here's another example fishin lower end last week me and bud hit some movin fish the next thing i know were surrounded by guys these beaks have breathables and centerpins hummmmm?

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 07:53:15 PM »

Hey, I resemble that comment!  ;D  I wear yellow rain gear, and was told that I was "sexy" by some hot beeks.