Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead bait  (Read 7873 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: steelhead bait
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 06:55:06 PM »

ok that was what i was thinking.. obviously its easy without the hook  ;) Im going to cut the stomachs of my KEPT fish to see what they have been eating before chomping my fly  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 07:17:12 PM »

hook u can barely hook them on gear, u think ur gonna be able 2 hook a hatchery fly flossing lol!  ;D JK!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:19:21 PM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 12:56:00 AM »

Things I have found in the only 2 steelhead stomachs that Iv actually taken the time to examin were.... a swallowed leader, 1 square inch of hard plastic, which was jammed up against the intestins. Also saw the inside of a pen, the ink part, and Paintballs. I just recently started to examin the stomachs, and will definately be looking at alots more. If you take home a keeper, take alook.  :)
The Bigger The Better!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 01:25:13 AM »

couldnt tell yeah, why?
The Bigger The Better!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 10:24:14 AM »

I catch plenty on gear YG i just get lots of wild ones thats all. Im just bored with gear fishing and wanna get one on the spey rod. gotta put in the time to do it though  ;)
Check out our new blog

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 11:27:45 AM »

sur HOOK sure u do, u know, i get 9 fish days everyonce in a while, thats usually the day i "forgot" my camera at home.  ::) And i dont know if u can get bored of fishing gear.

On the concept of bait, i've picked up some pretty nuts stuff sitting along the bank.
Fish killer 101

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 01:11:59 PM »

9fish days eh  ;) personal best is 13  ;D and no camera  >:( and yes you can get bored of fishing gear when you enjoy fishing the fly more. Its more relaxing for me and i still need to learn more with the spey rod where the gear rod is much easier and already good with it. Im challenging myself, maybe try it sometime  ;)

on the side of bait....what would you guys take as your TOP THREE artificials ?

mine would be Colorado's, Worms, Wool. I catch lots of fish on these so i like them  ;D I do fish other stuff as well
Check out our new blog

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 06:45:44 PM »

pink worm. light pink worm, orange worm.
Fish killer 101

obie1fish

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »

Sometimes I get pretty goofy with my gear- either when fishing is hot or when it's turned right off. For the latter, it's to see if some of my unconventional stuff will work, the former being out of desperation (what sophistimacated folk call "switching up to give a fresh look"). During the spring fiesta at the Vedder this year, I used some Berkeley Power Eggs tied in a roe sac. It was pretty slow, and I did pretty well on that day for springs and chums. Gave a guy one, and he got a nice spring on it.

Roe bag Power Eggs instead of Power Bait clusters? Like I said, a different look.

Advantages? Reusable if you want to change something up. Disadvantages? Glitter, man. Felt like David Bowie and the spiders from Mars!

I've thought about using the same setup for steelhead- My friends do well with gooey bobs (any good caches of a proper BC orange around?), so why not try these? They have scent and can be scented.

But about those paint balls... Any way of getting those on an egg loop? Or put 'em straight on the hook, and let 'em milk out!

PS- How's Suicide Creek (Norrish)?