Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changes in the fishing report access  (Read 12014 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Changes in the fishing report access
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 01:42:03 PM »

8 to go alwaysfishn. ;)

Although the discussion forum generates a significant number of hits (each time a file/page on the website is loaded), the number of unique visitors (number of persons/computers that are using the website) is small (ie. there maybe 1,000 hits in one hour, but those are only coming from 50 users). Most of the readers (currently about 5,000 to 10,000 daily) on our website actually do not visit the discussion forum, but they only use the main homepage, fishing reports, stocking database, news and blog. That's why you do not see any banners on the discussion forum except the advertisers' announcements, so the latest changes do not really have an effect on the advertisers.

We may see less fishing reports in the restricted section since first-time members will not be able to post in it, but the quality of the reports may improve as long-time contributors will hopefully share their trip stories now that those who do not contribute cannot read them. It is set up so it is mutually beneficial to all who are willing to contribute. It will also eliminate the issue of "hot spotting", which some were rather concerned when specific productive fishing spots at a particular time is revealed to anyone who has access to the internet. We should see a drastic reduction of anglers at Keith Wilson Bridge in the near future. ;)

And those who are concerned that you will not be able to read Chris' "Journal" anymore, not to worry as we may have a section in the blog to keep that public. Please stay tuned.

ffonly, I don't have the ratio of members and non-members' usage in the fishing report section, but based on the high number of views compared to the low number of members signed in per day, I would say it is quite large.

Lastcar

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »

"ffonly, I don't have the ratio of members and non-members' usage in the fishing report section, but based on the high number of views compared to the low number of members signed in per day, I would say it is quite large."

Rodney, no argument from myself on setting parameters on who can get where...

I realize your statement above is an estimated assumption, my notebook doesn't log me in each time I come to your site. Even if I select remember me. So everytime I navigated your site my 'hits' would have appeared as a non member.

I realize all this does is further blur the ability to calculate or estimate...

I am sure all will settle down in due time; it works on other forums.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »

I realize your statement above is an estimated assumption, my notebook doesn't log me in each time I come to your site. Even if I select remember me. So everytime I navigated your site my 'hits' would have appeared as a non member.

Yes absolutely. The estimate is a rough one and difficult to take factors like the one above into account. This change would also provide better stats for future reference.

Cheers,

Rod

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »

I like the change, lucky I decided to join a month or so ago... hopefully this will help with the swarm of anglers that always went to the spots that were posted about.. I also think though that if you are trying to get more member for the site... this may not be the best way to go as the only reason I really joined this site was for reports of water/fish in the river. I am also glad I joined though because I got to meet some cool new people and stuff people have shown/told me over the last few months has helped me a lot! Thanks everyone, see ya on the river 8)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »

I hope this cuts down the number of people who "Sign Off" and cancel their accounts because then they wont be able to see the reports. LOL

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 04:04:13 PM »

I also think though that if you are trying to get more member for the site... this may not be the best way to go

We are not, and have never been, trying to get more members, because 1) advertising revenue does not depend on it (see previous reply) and 2) it's not a popularity contest and 3) more members equates to more moderation work, which can be very time consuming.

I hope this cuts down the number of people who "Sign Off" and cancel their accounts because then they wont be able to see the reports. LOL

Accounts cannot be deleted by the users themselves, only the admin has the ability to do that.

People should not misunderstand that if you are currently not a member, the fishing report section is off-limit to you forever. All you gotta do, is to start participating and contributing. The key here is, to gain some you need to give some, just like our fisheries.

Kristopher

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 05:14:26 PM »

Sounds like a good idea.  I'll have to start participating more.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 07:20:16 PM »

It will also eliminate the issue of "hot spotting", which some were rather concerned when specific productive fishing spots at a particular time is revealed to anyone who has access to the internet. We should see a drastic reduction of anglers at Keith Wilson Bridge in the near future.

That's all the incentive I need.......   ;D

7 to go
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Ontario Guy

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 07:31:04 PM »

Rodney, I guess I'lll have to start posting to up my count so I can access the now restricted section.  I have been a lurker for a while now and have been using the information contained in the Fishing Reports section to plan my trips out west.  Whiile I didn't listen to the reports (or lack thereof) and came out last week to find fishing very slow on the Vedder, I was happy to enjoy your wonderful scenery as well as weather!  Yeah, everyone told me I should have been there 2 weeks ago!!!  It was also nice to meet up with Chris again and talk about various environment and fisheries issues which I have been following.  (I was impressed that he remembered me from a couple of years ago when I first met him on the flow.)  He asked me if I had met you and when I replied "no" he told me that I should and that you are a "great guy."  One of these days, I'm sure we'll meet.

I quite enjoy the "social" aspect of Vedder fishing as I have met so many great people.  When the fishing is slow, I just love those "union meetings" on the bar!!!  

By the way, when I look out the window of my office, I still see 12 foot snow banks in the parking lot!  I need to go fishing :(

You guys and gals are very lucky :'(

southpa

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »

Hello first post here.
I have been a luker for a couple years now. Guess I should contribute.
I had two kids go to a Bible school in ABBY. Now one lives in Bellingham Wa.
Being from Idaho we love to fish. Love reading the reports,more for the pics and lively banter sometimes! I have to say this is a great site. When we go north to go fishing we usually go to Hubs or Fred for reports. All BC people we meet are extremely nice to us aliens so we love coming.
Great job Rod. Thanks

shaunm

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »

Perfect.....this makes #10 for me, so I will be able to keep up wth all the fishing reports!  Can’t wait for the spring/summer to arrive and the Sturgeon fishing to start.

shmertis

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 01:10:05 AM »

I guess I'll have to start posting more also.

salmon river

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 02:45:02 AM »

A lot of forums I belong to have 'members only' sections or requirements to make a certain amount of posts before you get access to certain forums.

10 posts is not really that much, I don't think.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 09:13:15 AM »

I guess I'll have to start posting more also.
Me too.
Don't know what happened but my count was up to 10 last night, but when I went to check the fishing reports this morning my count was back to 9....

Now, I have no idea where to go fishing today. :(
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Morty

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 12:11:57 PM »

Well,  you finally got me to sign-up.

I've been an observer for 4 or 5 years and find this to be a very informative, and often entertaining, forum.

The main reason I haven't signed up before is that I know once I had access I'd be typing comments too often.  Because of the nature of my business, I already spent most of my day hatching a chair and watching a computer screen.  Rod, you and the active members have made this too addictive.  You all give me lots of incentive to get out there and donate tackle to the river.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"