Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Steelie of the Season January 16th, 2008  (Read 4425 times)

flyrod

• Old Timer
First Steelie of the Season January 16th, 2008
« on: January 16, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »

Finally, I got my first chromer.  It was a wild doe about 9-10 lbs.  Got her on a brass colorado spinner in some rough water.  No picture because I forgot my camera again!!!!  I had just had a chat with Chris Gadsen and walked downstream to an interesting slick of water.  First cast and wham.  Had tough time getting her in because of where I was fishing....off of a rock wall with rapids right in front of me.  That was my 12th trip out since last April.  Tough slugging but nice to see one of the end of my hook.
The year before I couldn't keep them off, but this past year has been work.  I have hit a number but not sticking.  Got good hooks...just not enough connection.
The Vedder is in great shape.  Hoping to get out a couple of times this next week. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:57:55 AM by Rodney »

Lew Chater

Re: First Steelie of the Season
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:54:41 PM »

Chris must be the magnet Flyrod. Glad to see that you got your first fish. I was going to title my report the same thing.
Chris phoned about 11:00 and said we had to meet so one of us could get one. Chris is fishing for wild fish for brood stock. Met him about half and hour later and he had just lost one. We fished for about another 30 minutes and saw a fish on right where Chris had just lost one. We kept fishing down and looked back and another fish on where Chris had left.
I kept going down and finally that float went down and there was life. Played the fish around a snag and Chris started down towards me in case it was wild. A few minutes later the hatchery doe was on the beach and I was shaking Chris's hand as once again we connect when we fish together. Left Chris still trying but getting late for wild fish as the hatchery doesn't like to take them after 3:00 pm. so will wait for Chris to add to this.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:11:41 PM »

Well done flyrod, I though I saw you making a motion you had caught one but was not sure and I had just fished that water. ;D ;D Actually that was my storyline for the day as 7 fish were hooked where I had fished not that long before. That just proves you never have to worry about fishing where someone else has just fished or maybe that would be just  behind me anyway. :o ??? ;D Actually I believe part of it is some fish are moving throughout the day so you just have to be there at the correct time.

Once again the Lew - Chris connection paid off with a very nice steelhead by Lew. At least I had not fished that water before him. ;D Well done Lew too.

Once again I had better success duck hunting with two coming to hand but I did shoot poorly. :-[

Tomorrow is another day on the flow and I hope for better things. If you are going out, just fish behind me and your float is guaranteed to go down. ;D ;D ;D

Once again, nice work Lew and flyrod as well as TNT .
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:19:44 PM by chris gadsden »

tnt

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:39:24 PM »

Well Chris you must of had some luck around you, as I pulled the fish across from you just before you left... to bad I wanted to fish a little more so I let that slab go(14LB hatch Doe with a 12 inch long seal gash on its side)... manage to hook one more just below there as well...but a couple head shakes and it was gone....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:14:51 PM »

That will suit me as I may get some for the brood capture program. ;D ;D Anyway there was lots of people around the area today and it is strange when fish are being caught anglers seem to come out of the woodwork, maybe Cammer, that is caused by the cell phone generation too. :-\
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:16:22 PM by chris gadsden »

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »

i saw chris the other day and all i can say is WOW seeing he hooked a steelie in this small pocket of water

quite impressive i must say
hardware == fish

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »

Cam,your right you are pretty easy to identify, you gotta be the shortest guy on the river,lol ;) ;D
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »

Yea, Chris that was me waving.  I think that Chris should become a steelie broker.  Have people pay you to talk to them on the river and they will catch fish.  $50.00 minimun fee would be about right I think. 
I am going to hit the canal with my spey on Friday.  The river should be dropping and setting up some good water down their. 

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 11:02:53 PM »

A very sad day as the meat hole that was just below the hatchery has been now moved to just below Lickman, the GAUNTLET as I would call it. Can't believe locals, good rods who would stand elbo to elbo to, who have the time to explore would throw the anchor out, fense post, floss??? or what have you and call that a good day on the river! Give them a chance!

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 01:28:39 AM »

I love to run and gun and cover as much water as it takes to find the fish and the lower river has a lot of good water to cover  but i find it is getting harder to fish it effectively in this manner and i end up fishing just tiny unoccupied pieces of each run,this is the very reason that i have spent more time fishing the mid to upper river,there are still areas that don't get to busy.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 06:26:10 AM »

Yes it can get frustrating when people donot move and fence post a run as well it can be frustrating when a lot of people are in the area you wish to fish. I always tell myself, they, the anglers all have as much right to be out fishing as do I. Besides what a better way to enjoy our leisure time.

Leaving now to get my rock before NB gets there, ;D ;D ;D only kidding Tims first for coffee, one has to get their priorities right.

tnt

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 07:24:11 AM »

Ill put on my Kreskin hat and predict huge numbers of people in the lower for tomorrow morning, last time i fished post good reports i ventured down that way and instantly turned around when Brown road had 9 vehicles parked at 800am, back up to mid and upper i went. This isnt supposed to be a slag on this report but a true reality of report induced steelhead fever. Just my Opinion
Cammer if you havent noticed there has been a ton of fish around... everywhere you go there is fish and really fishable water... sorry I fished yours yesterday... looks like you should have been at brown road at 7:30....
the other thing is 90% of the fisherman arent fishing where the fish are...  I havent hooked a fish in a A-typical run yet this year... except maybe yesterday... they are all in the trashy water.... if you dont like the crowds go for a walk... thats what I have been doing... people also dont realize that fish travel... those fish hit yesterday will be at peach road today or above that....people like Nick Basok and Chris Gadsden and a few others will have hooked more fish already in the season than most will hook over the whole year...
its early in the season and most anglers arent frustrated yet... give it a couple more weeks and there will be less people spread out and way more concentrated to the meat holes... so we can all fish around them...
BTW congrats Rod on the first of the season!!!
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 08:16:09 AM »

Come on T, don't lie, we all know that the fish are where the crowd is. ;D ;D ;D

I think the best advice that comes out from all of Chris' reports if some haven't noticed, is to fish the Chilliwack River with a relaxing, positive attitude and acknowledge, appreciate and respect that other users are out there for the same reason. This would make both fish and fish-less outings very enjoyable, as I have learned and still learning at times. ;)

Leave some hatchery steelhead to the derby people on Sunday. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »

Posting Lew's fish pic as requested.

Recognize the bridge? Now go get them this weekend. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: First Steelie of the Season January 16th, 2008
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 02:01:15 AM »

This report was drifting away from the main topic so I've split it. We can go back to focusing on Rod and Lew's fine catches. ;) The discussion on the Vedder angling pressure is now titled "Evolution of the Vedder River fishery" and moved to:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=16924.0

So far the discussion has been constructive, please keep it that way. :)