Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River July 2nd, 2007  (Read 12553 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: Capilano River July 2nd, 2007
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2007, 10:36:26 PM »

:(

Sad story Steelieman, too bad you had to see that... No fish is worth that.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2007, 12:26:38 AM »

It must be the one on July 1st Canada Day at least 6-10 years ago. I clearly remember that day because I took a greenie fishing on that day. We first went to the Vedder for the big fish but found tons of people there without any fish. So we returned to the Cap which was flooding due to a few days of heavy rain. We went to the Cable Pool to check it out and found the river raging past under those rocks. It was high high and yellowish river. People were fishing and actually catching some fish. We saw quite a crowd above the cliff. I told the greenie that it is not worth the risk there. One wrong move means sure death. So we went down to the lower river and still caught our limit. Atlas, some one did fall in later in the day and drowned. Some one told me a few days later that, like Steelieman, he saw the Oriental guy slipped, and was trying to grab him to no avail. He told me he could never forget that last look of horror on that man's face.  :(

The Cap is very dangerous because most people are used to its lazy flowing low flow most of the time. But when it floods, people don't take it seriously and got the worst of it. I once also met a fishing instructor who would not even talk about the Cap when he mentioned about the popular local rivers like the Vedder, Chehalis and Squamish. He admitted that he would not want to talk about it because his fishing buddy was drowned in that innocent little river.  So, it happens more often than we think. Be careful of the Cap. No fish is worth your life. There is always another day to fish as long as you are alive. Fish in peace, and fish safe too.  :) :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2007, 12:35:11 AM »

I remember the incident. My buddy pull the body out downstream from the Dogleg Pool. He was already dead. The late Ted Peck's teenage son drowned at the Badger Hole. I've seen people do some incredibly stupid things on that river for a fish.

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2007, 09:10:19 AM »

Those are sad stories but are worth mentioning. It seems too easy to forget the haszards in such a pretty setting. It doesn't take much for someone to get into a bad situation.

BTW, I think that includes small pets. I saw the fella with the small dog fishing on the rock. A small pet would easily be killed as well in that setting.

May I ask, does anyone have suggestions as to 'safer' areas to fish at the Cap and how to access those areas. Thanks in advance.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2007, 12:54:51 PM »

Fish lower river. Park at the mall down Taylor way i think it is. Then walk up river past the marine way bridge. anywhere above there is legally fishable.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2007, 04:55:02 PM »

That is a very sad story :-\ ..FA is right it is definatly not worth it. Always try to be on the safe side
weeeeeeeeeow!

4StarGeneral

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2007, 10:51:52 PM »

OMG,

That was found on the Cap?  What do they get up there Louie the Tuna??

I thought the Cap Coho where only around 2-5lbs??  Why such a large hook and heavy leader for?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2007, 03:08:34 AM »

Does anyone have a picture of this cable pool, Im interested in what everyone is talking about!
The Bigger The Better!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2007, 03:32:29 PM »

I remember the incident. My buddy pull the body out downstream from the Dogleg Pool. He was already dead. The late Ted Peck's teenage son drowned at the Badger Hole. I've seen people do some incredibly stupid things on that river for a fish.

I know the guy who was standing next to him when it happened...seriously messed up...but this brings up an interesting point..
While on the Vedder last week, you see all the kids out swimming etc. I don't wear waders in summer and just wade in my boots...Allot of the crossings etc that had me worried before were quite simple when you saw the kids run across it and sit down in it...Made me think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to actually practice a fall or two while there... I watched the show "man versus wild" and he talks about corkscrewing your body to move through fast water to the shoreline...might save your life one day...

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2007, 03:48:11 PM »

How is the corkscrewing done? Interesting to know if it doesn't require Yoga.  ;D

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2007, 04:04:19 PM »

Does anyone have a picture of this cable pool, Im interested in what everyone is talking about!

You dont want to go there....no fish biting this time of year :P

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2007, 04:29:40 PM »

Wow, I call those creeks!
The Bigger The Better!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »

If you read the caption :

"These are pics of cable pool during low water last year first one looking downstream, second one upstream towards the hatchery"

you will be enlightened
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2007, 05:13:19 PM »

How is the corkscrewing done? Interesting to know if it doesn't require Yoga.  ;D

you turn your body around and around as you swim, kind of like a corkscrew, allows your body to cut through the current..

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2007, 05:17:46 PM »

water is to low, needs to be alot higher, dont u think IVAN?

i dunno is it too low to catch fish? ::)