Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatcherys and chums  (Read 5664 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Hatcherys and chums
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 11:30:02 PM »

The way other runs of salmon are being decimated, chums may be the only thing that we'll be able to catch in a few years.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 12:03:24 AM »

i am all for any type of pacific salmon and steelhead education for young students/adults

keep in mind the survival rate for fry/smolts is not very good so 50 salmonoids released in the river would be very lucky if they return as an adult.

i am also suprised at the number of bc adults who are limited in their knowledge about the pacific salmon species. perhaps this is the biggest problem to the conservation/environmental factors that have a negative effect on our fish habitats.

lastly, my personal feeling is to be a canadian one should know your native fish species and learn how to paddle a canoe!

I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »

Chums generally predominate the lower part of river systems in BC anyway. Chow (or Chum) down or move upriver.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Pat AV

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »

Fishonsteelheader- In response to your last comment about larger rivers with too many chum I agree Chehalis etc may have "too many" chum. I believe I said that in my first post.

This is a different topic from the one of salmon in the classroom, large scale enhancement and classroom fish are totally different programs and done for totally different reasons. IMHO they can't be debated about interchangeably (Apples and Oranges).
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 07:42:08 PM »

Fishonsteelheader- In response to your last comment about larger rivers with too many chum I agree Chehalis etc may have "too many" chum. I believe I said that in my first post.

This is a different topic from the one of salmon in the classroom, large scale enhancement and classroom fish are totally different programs and done for totally different reasons. IMHO they can't be debated about interchangeably (Apples and Oranges).
Yes for the class chum are oka  :) but like i said no more chum should be done at the hatchery's then
love to fish.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 07:44:15 PM »

Yes they need longer so dose that mean that there less impotent because of this ???

The fact is, the kids don't have attention spans long enough to handle waiting a year for the big release...

I think doing the chum in the classroom makes alot of sense, kids learn about salmon, and the project is lower maintenance for the teacher... This being said even though I personally am not a big fan of those pesky chum...

-Nicole
Yes your right this is a good fish for the kids but no more in the hatchery's
love to fish.