Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Change of plans

no
no

Author Topic: FWR Steelhead Derby Poll part 2  (Read 9951 times)

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
Re: FWR Steelhead Derby Poll part 2
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2006, 03:21:57 PM »

^ MAYBE CUZ U WERE FISHING IN HIS SECRET SPOT !

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 04:04:56 PM »

When the hell is it????

I think you should wait and see who shows up first...I think a draw would be cool too...Is this supposed to be a fun deal to help raise money or are some of you guys just in it for the win???  I don't know a lot about steelheading but I know from playing in many golf tournaments no one likes seeing the top players togeather, It should be a level playing field IF this is supposed to be fun...

Honestly, It kind of pisses me off that guys would say they don't want to get "stuck" with someone...There are a bunch of new guys/gals..(sassy.) that could really use the help from learning from you guys....My .02, sour taste in my mouth from this, I'm not in..

allwaysfishin

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 04:29:32 PM »

um.... this started out as an FWR derby.... something to bring us all together in person for a fun day doing what we love to do and somewhere in the beginning someone threw out the idea of fishing in teams of 2. Myself... i don't really care how it is run, I will show up, bring the promised prize donations and foodstuffs and regardless of who i spend the day with and regardless if some so called "top rod" wins the derby. I would prefer if it was every man for himself as most derbies are run, but i am not the organizer. You should come xGolfman.. even if you are not paying a derby fee, it would be good to hang out with a bunch of ya and get to know you off the internet. In the interest of democracy, the organizer put a choice for everyone interested to weigh in on.... please don't exclude yourself based on skill level and experience. Besides if we did a random draw for partners, so called top rods would and could end up being paired anyways, and the opposite would be possible as well with total newbies getting paired up. I think that if you have a fishing partner... fine... if you don't.. throw your names in a hat and a draw will decide your partner.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 05:05:39 PM »

What Alwaysfishin says makes a lot of sense. Bottomline for me is that I see the entry fee going to  a good cause and if I catch a fish great. Regardless of who I get paired up with, I am sure I will have a fun day.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2006, 05:15:51 PM »

Well for me I have seen enough to realize that it is going to cause problems !
so I think it would be best if we went back to each person for themselves, pairing sounded like a good idea but in reality I think it is a no go.. so from now on don;t worry about partners, if you want to fish with one two or how ever many other people that is fine but come weigh in there will be no teams !!

TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2006, 05:48:03 PM »

sounds good now
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 05:52:50 PM by dead head »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2006, 06:04:52 PM »

um.... this started out as an FWR derby.... something to bring us all together in person for a fun day doing what we love to do and somewhere in the beginning someone threw out the idea of fishing in teams of 2. Myself... i don't really care how it is run, I will show up, bring the promised prize donations and foodstuffs and regardless of who i spend the day with and regardless if some so called "top rod" wins the derby. I would prefer if it was every man for himself as most derbies are run, but i am not the organizer. You should come xGolfman.. even if you are not paying a derby fee, it would be good to hang out with a bunch of ya and get to know you off the internet. In the interest of democracy, the organizer put a choice for everyone interested to weigh in on.... please don't exclude yourself based on skill level and experience. Besides if we did a random draw for partners, so called top rods would and could end up being paired anyways, and the opposite would be possible as well with total newbies getting paired up. I think that if you have a fishing partner... fine... if you don't.. throw your names in a hat and a draw will decide your partner.

Yeah, your right..sorry i got all PMs on you guys for that...Real sore spot for me because of golfing..should know better...the draw could do just that..the only way to make it level would be to have an A pool and B pool draw, I'm just thinking that I've seen posts before from guys who want to come but don't know the river etc. that well and would really appreciate being with one of the regulars..( me included )...the other thing would be I REALLY want to catch my first steelhead on the fly and want to fish that way, I would feel like I was cheating my partner If I was doing that...

OK, I'm off my soap box...it is about the fun and raising a little money for a good cause...What's the deal on prizes??? Are we looking for donations? Food?...let me know....I'm fishing for the biggest stick... :-[
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 09:09:37 PM by Xgolfman »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2006, 07:31:50 PM »

This is to be a fun event which I sure it will be. Wait to you get over 60 (now 63) like me and you donot or try not to take things very seriously as having a good time when out fishing is the main thing. I can go out for days on end with not even a bite but I am happy just to be able to get out there.

As the years slip by you know in a few years it will be difficult to walk the flow so that is why I soak up every minute when I am out there as there is no guarantees in this life.

Gosh if it was a draw system I would be honored to fish with anyone, even if they had never fished steelhead before. If I could help that person hook a fish what a day that would be, memories to last a life time.

That is what I and many on this forum are here for, to share our knowledge of this great activity, boast of our successes, laught at our mishaps and failures as well as getting the opportunity to meet so many great people which I am sure we will do on this outing.

Who really cares who wins, while it is a Maple Leaf fan. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2006, 07:40:54 PM »

I want to fish with Chris so I can convince him the error of his ways and back a true winner. ;D

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2006, 08:05:22 PM »

Well said Chris i couldn't agree more,oh except for that leafs thing ;D ;)
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2006, 08:20:59 PM »

Me too. Thanks for making me see it differently. It should be a fun day and I hope people will still say hi.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

nosey

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2007, 08:02:45 AM »

Yes I am a little anti social and had planned on fishing with my regular fishing partner, I just don't feel like beaking somebody out that can really fish or feel obligated to keeping up to someone thirty years younger than myself. I think the drawing for partners thing should be optional. All said though I can have fun fishing with ALMOST anyone! Just an afterthought if I got partnered up with someone that wanted to go fish the KWB with 8 ft. of leader it would be a short day for me. :D

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2007, 11:18:09 AM »

Yes I am a little anti social and had planned on fishing with my regular fishing partner, I just don't feel like beaking somebody out that can really fish or feel obligated to keeping up to someone thirty years younger than myself. I think the drawing for partners thing should be optional. All said though I can have fun fishing with ALMOST anyone! Just an afterthought if I got partnered up with someone that wanted to go fish the KWB with 8 ft. of leader it would be a short day for me. :D
It was decided quite some time ago that we will not be fishing with partners , you can fish by yourself or as many people as you like, but come weigh in time it is each man / woman for him/herself
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Clipper

• Kevin
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2007, 07:07:08 PM »

8)sounds like a good day to learn a thing or two . fish come to all those who help others newbies or just a good rod!!!!! ::)
tight lines