Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minister Penner, what has he done for fish and fishing so far?  (Read 10085 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Re: Minister Penner, what has he done for fish and fishing so far?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 05:35:07 PM »

Since the Liberals said at the last election that they would ensure that we would have a world class fishery.
Please tell us what they ( The Minister) has done to ensure this would happen.

I am finding it hard to think of any positive things, in fact I can think of none.

OBD, perhaps you could provide the exact quote or provide a link to your question. I have no idea what you are talking about and you come across like you have a beef with some people on this forum that might be Barry Penner supporters or Liberal supporters.

You may not like the things the current government is doing with the sport fishing or hunting management but what are you gonna do to change it? Getting a bunch of people to bitch about the current situation may enlighten people to bad policy but what alternative to you provide? Do the NDP, Greens, or any other party have some progressive Fish management platform?

I personally don`t know much about the politics of this all but I sure know when it comes to talking about it lots of people get mad at First Nations, Government, Americans and poachers and snaggers but only few of these people do anything to change things  themselves.

Cheers

Nuggy

First you just have to look at the promises made by the Liberal Government on the last election.

Second, they made the promise, not the NDP or greens.
Therefore it makes sense to review how they are doing at one of their promises.

You do not feel that the politicians that made a promise should be held to account?

They might think that they are doing a great job and the public ( You) may not have the same perception.

So, you think they did a great job say in regards to the Cheakamus?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 05:36:53 PM »

I'll say it again in simpler words.... NO LIBERALS IN POLITICS = A BETTER CANADA
and the NDP ain't no option either.
I'm so sick and tired of having a convicted drunk driver as a premier.... who the heck voted for this clown anyways....

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 05:48:57 PM »

An example is PUBLIC CONSULTATIONS.

Let me ask you when do you remember the last one put on by the department?

Using the example of giving guides more allocation than the residents.
Why is the province not holding meetings throughout the province to ask the people what they wish?

Why did the province not hold meetings in for instant Duncan with regards to changing the fishing regulations on the Cowichan river?
They take e-mail input but will not show an independent the results to ensure that the facts they tell us are true.
( They have been caught up in this already)

The arrogance of the ministry is obvious as they feel that public input is not wanted.

That is not acceptable.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 05:50:18 PM »

I think they looked after the Cheakamus liked they looked after BC Rail, they helped their buddies out. In 100 years you'll see fish(Stealhead) in the Cheakamus like they were, in 1000 you'll see the return of BC rail back to the citizens of BC. Way to go. I wish I was there bestest friend so I could line my pockets. Not! It's pure pap covered in spinned crap fed to the public. At least the internet is not owned by big media so you can come closer to the facts than the news usually does. Party members toady the line of the party they represent....unfortunately
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 06:20:09 PM »

OBD, all I am asking for is that you provide a quote or more preferably a link to the questions you posed. Just saying someone said something with no proof to back it up is bad protocol and provides us the readers with trusting your word. You would come across far more credible if you didn`t have to make me go search around to find out if what you are saying is true or not.

And what is your solution to the Liberals management strategy? To start a bitch fest or to organise a solution to the problems the fisheries face? I am interested in hearing your perspective on solutions to the problems faced in Fisheries management rather than a bitchfest of the problems that exist.

Cheers

Nuggy

http://www.bcliberals.com/media/BCLIB_PlatformBook.pdf

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 06:21:11 PM »

OBD, all I am asking for is that you provide a quote or more preferably a link to the questions you posed. Just saying someone said something with no proof to back it up is bad protocol and provides us the readers with trusting your word. You would come across far more credible if you didn`t have to make me go search around to find out if what you are saying is true or not.

And what is your solution to the Liberals management strategy? To start a bitch fest or to organise a solution to the problems the fisheries face? I am interested in hearing your perspective on solutions to the problems faced in Fisheries management rather than a bitchfest of the problems that exist.

Cheers

Nuggy
An example is PUBLIC CONSULTATIONS.

Let me ask you when do you remember the last one put on by the department?

Using the example of giving guides more allocation than the residents.
Why is the province not holding meetings throughout the province to ask the people what they wish?

Why did the province not hold meetings in for instant Duncan with regards to changing the fishing regulations on the Cowichan river?
They take e-mail input but will not show an independent the results to ensure that the facts they tell us are true.
( They have been caught up in this already)

The arrogance of the ministry is obvious as they feel that public input is not wanted.

That is not acceptable.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 07:31:51 PM »

http://www.bcliberals.com/media/BCLIB_PlatformBook.pdf

Thanks for the link to the B.C Liberal party platform, now what page would I find the part where Premier Cambell or some other Liberal promises to ensure we have a world class fishery?

OBD, I am not a Liberal party supporter or voter and I don`t come to the FWR to get involved in politics. I personally think you are doing this because there may be regulation changes coming for the Fraser River sockeye fishery that you are not happy with. I know there are several members here who are actively involved in trying to get the fishing regulations reviewed and my feeling is you don`t agree with them. I could be wrong but my hunch is just that.

I will leave this thread alone now and hope that kids like my nephew and his school mates in grade 4 who go clean rivers of garbage and release salmon fry will quietly lead the way forward with their conservation, selfless non monetary motives and eagerness to pursue the mysteries and joys of life without political promises and debates. One day those kids will feel proud that they did something for the fisheries that their children's, children's, children can use and enjoy.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread OBD.

Cheers

Try goals #4.

You must be new as the Provincial Government is not in charge of the Fraser Fishery.
That falls under the Fed's/DFO.

So in answer to you this has nothing to do with the Fraser, it is a question on how do you think the PROVINCE is doing in relation to their promise?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 09:53:50 PM »

"OBD, I am not a Liberal party supporter or voter and ":::

Should probably encourage people to vote. I will vote for the person who will do the least damage and the most good. Place is going downhill othewise.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 09:55:29 AM »

I am with alwaysfishing. I believe that the bc liberals are trying to run our native stocks to the point that we have to rely on the mush, mercury filled, dyed red farmed fish. I wonder how many of those owners of the farms are friends with the liberals. I too want to see fish for our future generations but if the liberals continue on this path the numbers will definatly decline.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 10:50:12 AM »

It is nice to see that everyone else is happy with MOE and the present situation of Steelhead, Cutthroat and bull trout?

Happy overall with MoE? Not a chance, but I do realize some what how the system works. The people below Mr. Penner will still be there after the next eclection or cabinet shuffle and he will most likely be gone. The gov. employees that make the descions really do not listen to the minister, only nod their headds until they are no longer there and do what they really want to do. Mr.Penner may have his heart in the right place but I feel there is overall little he can really do to change the present situation where each region is run on it's own without there really being very much continuity in the Ministry through out the provinve.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 11:44:46 AM »

Yes the Minister gets replaced, however the power brokers do not and they must be held accountable.
You do understand that the rules are the Minister must not be embarrassed.
That rule has harsh consequences for those that do.

Therefore, the Minister while he is in power has the hammer and must use it.

This was put up as a question as to a promise by the Liberal party and it is time to evaluate what they have done.
The problem is if no one gets upset and says well that is what politicians always do then there will not change.

So again, I ask are you happy so far and if not let it fly.
As noted people are watching and who knows they might have to actually do something.

Schenley

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 05:37:55 PM »

As noted people are watching

WHERE???? I dont know nutthing about that goat!!!   ;D

Dog-- you is on a roll wth this one  BUTTTTT... Politicians dont have to tell the truth or follow through on promises-- you are old and should know that!!!

Robbie has got it right, however. The non-elected mandarines REALLY are the ones that slow the pace of change.  After that Chek hatchery fiasco where the bios made the Minister look like a fool, they should have all been demoted or removed--- didnt happen. That shows who REALLY runs the show.   :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 10:38:04 PM »

I guess not many remember a number of years ago when the NDP under good old Moe was going to scrap the hatchery steelhead program. The FVSS launched a very large writing campaign sending in a few hundred letters, each in an individual envelope with a stamp on each. I know there was hundred's as my boys and I did all the licking of them. Also we took the letters to several sporting good outlets for those interested in signing and we ran up a few k's on the vehicle. We believe it helped as the changed there mind on it. This method is better than a petion I think. Of course if every one concern ed would write there own letter that is better but only a few will do this.

I would suggest if OBD and others have things they would like to see changed put together a form letter listing the shortfalls and soulutions as you see them. Circulate them to sporting good shops across the Province pick them up and send them in. If you wish to do this project I will deliver them to Barry personally if you wish.

Nothing better than taking some action instead of just taking about it on fishing forums or in the coffee shop. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 11:32:42 PM by chris gadsden »

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 09:23:19 AM »

There is only one thing at the moment that the Minister must address.
That is "PUBLIC CONSULTATIONS".
His mandarins are making decisions without any consultations with the people who's money they are spending and effecting their fishing and hunting.

Tell him that Chris.

Ribwart

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 10:04:36 AM »

Robbie has got it right, however. The non-elected mandarines REALLY are the ones that slow the pace of change.  After that Chek hatchery fiasco where the bios made the Minister look like a fool, they should have all been demoted or removed--- didnt happen. That shows who REALLY runs the show.   :-[

Ok...I have been reading this with great interest, and although I know very little about the politics of all this, I do feel strongly about the issues, and would like to educate myself on some of this...Can someone please elaborate on Schenley's Statement above? Non-elected mandarines? How did the bios make the minister look like a fool? What exactly was the fiasco? I attended the conference on cheakamus steelhead at ubc, I heard some of the debates concerning what could be done, from fisheries scientists and the rest...but as far as who REALLY runs the show, could someone shed some light on this?

I guess not many remember a number of years ago when the NDP under good old Moe was going to scrap the hatchery steelhead program. The FVSS launched a very large writing campaign sending in a few hundred letters, each in an individual envelope with a stamp on each. I know there was hundred's as my boys and I did all the licking of them. Also we took the letters to several sporting good outlets for those interested in signing and we ran up a few k's on the vehicle. We believe it helped as the changed there mind on it. This method is better than a petion I think. Of course if every one concern ed would write there own letter that is better but only a few will do this.

I would suggest if OBD and others have things they would like to see changed put together a form letter listing the shortfalls and soulutions as you see them. Circulate them to sporting good shops across the Province pick them up and send them in. If you wish to do this project I will deliver them to Barry personally if you wish.

Nothing better than taking some action instead of just taking about it on fishing forums or in the coffee shop. ;D ;D

There are many different factions trying to solve a problem here. I  understand from a "bio's" perspective many of the difficulties scientists face when presenting their findings to the powers that be...often their recommendations play second fiddle to personal agenda's, economic issues, red tape, etc, etc, etc...It is clear to me that even if there were someone in power that were able to weild said "hammer", getting half of those involved in the resource to agree on what needs to be done would be a task in itself. I am interested in seeing if even we can agree on what changes need to be made...there is this fine balance between what is good for the fish, and what allows the economy generated from them exist. I certainly agree it's all #$@$#$# up, however I don't see it as anywhere close to a solution. I like the idea of this letter Chris has mentioned, I think that the words in such letters can get into a person's head, might even influence how they think about the issue, and bring to light concerns that might otherwise have been overlooked...however, what would someone put in a letter such as this?
OBD, you make some interesting points, as do many of the others here, but I think perhaps tackling the problem amongst ourselves a bit first, might shed some light on how difficult it is to come to a solution. I wonder if we could start our own list of things we don't like, and then try to solve each item on that list considering the economic side of the issue and the conservation and enhancement side. It could be the start of a rough draft for a letter that many of us could write and send out. I know I would be willing to do so.
Having said that, if we can't agree on what the issues are, or come to solutions that we feel will be effective, even in the least bit, then how can we expect to be anything other than caught up in the same stagnant ineffective management dilemna that got us here in the first place?

I would like to try and list many of the issues at stake, if anyone is willing to oblige, as I think myself and others could learn quite a bit from hashing it all out here plain as day....

1) The fraser chum fishery...interference with steelhead returns to interior fraser tributaries. I agree this is a problem, but how do you solve it? First of all, it is not as simple as closing it down. The economic losses to commercial and native fleets cause such a powerful uproar that the ministry would never have the balls to do anything about it...but, I wonder, what nets do they use to harvest this fishery? Is there an alternative that has a less severe impact on Thompson steelhead, but still allows for the chum harvest? Might the government agree to some changes if such changes allow them to be proactive but don't hurt too much?

There, that's one issue, there are many others, and I am interested in trying to put a finger, or ten, on the issues at stake here...

thx,
rib
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 10:47:29 AM by Ribwart »