Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The New and Improved Steelhead Thread :)  (Read 17232 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: The New and Improved Steelhead Thread :)
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2006, 06:10:59 PM »

Nice Fish Bozzo!! Good on ya for the successfull release!!

Decided to give up the bush and chasing cloven hooves for the morning today. Turns out, that was the RIGHT decision!!  ;D

First of the season for me, and a Fine day to be out 'n about!!

Now trying to decide whether to try and get another day like that in, or back to the sodden bush.... :-\

Cheers,
Nog

You Bugger!! ;D ;D  Nice Job Matt.  Nice to see one, which I believe would be the first posted this year!! ;)  BTW, nice teeth!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2006, 06:17:50 PM »

You Bugger!! ;D ;D  Nice Job Matt.  Nice to see one, which I believe would be the first posted this year!! ;)  BTW, nice teeth!!

First ONE? Ummmm.... Nope, that'd be TWO, a limit you see  ;)

Between me and 2 Buddies, we were into heavy double digits today. Kinda toying with the idea of an "evening hunt", as the morning appears to be spoken for  :D

Yeah, the choppers are doing a decent job these days. Deer steaks mmmm YUMMY!

Cheers,
Nog

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2006, 06:20:24 PM »

yikes !!  those are some beautiful fish Noggin... I think it is time to head to the island for some fishing !!
nuttin going on over this way yet
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2006, 06:26:09 PM »

Nice fish  ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2006, 06:35:41 PM »

Nice fish Noggin!!
weeeeeeeeeow!

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2006, 07:20:14 PM »

Nice fish!! I can't wait to hook the first of the season!! ;)

Bozzo

• I need to go FISHING!
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2006, 08:23:15 PM »

:o Nicely done IronNoggin.  I was shocked at how early your catch was, unless your a Charlotte's resident or North-West Vancouver Islander... I'm I right?  As for the hunting, as a kid, it was the plentiful Van-Island blacktails for us.  However, later-years, we migrated into the Okanagan and have hunted that region 95% of the time since.  How are the deer populations doing there; have they recovered from our over-harvest (back in the 80's) and predation from wolves & cougars?  It sounds like the times are good again... if we're talking Vancouver Island.
Getting older faster... Getting smarter slower... Getting some, now and then.

Pat AV

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2006, 04:42:47 PM »

Seems like alot of people like the photo contest idea, all we need now is the approval of the admin and some fish to show up on the mainland.

Nice pics Ironnog and bozzo!
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2006, 02:20:17 PM »

...I was shocked at how early your catch was, unless your a Charlotte's resident or North-West Vancouver Islander... I'm I right? 

aYup, you've got it right. Vancouver Islander through and through.
The deer are slowly recovering around here. I've seen more in the last 2 years than I had in the previous 4 or 6. Even so, they aren't what you'd call "plentifull". Makes for an interesting challenge...

Was supposed to get an early hunt in yesterday, but my partner had already heard of the day before's fishing success, and showed up with both his rifle, and his centerpin set-up... LOL!
Long story short, we ended up playing a fair number of steelhead through the morning, and right into the afternoon. Meant getting to the hunting fields a tad late, and there we encountered white-out conditions! So, while no joy with the horns, there certainly was with the steelhead! And yeah Bozzo, even for here, that's rather early! Earliest I've recorded them in over 10 years! But then again, I'm not usually chasing them until December...

Another pix for you from yest. I think that would be 3, 4, and 5 for the first of the season?  ;D

One of course is a Buddy's, the other two mine. One destined for an elder Buddy's supper table, the other for candy. And that's likely the last that will see the hammer from me for the forseeable future. C&R from here on in methinks...

Hope you're getting into a few SOON!

Cheers,
Nog

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2006, 03:03:52 AM »

those are some nice fish nog congrats  ;D

Bozzo

• I need to go FISHING!
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »

IronNoggin: "supper table, the other for candy".

I have yet to taste Adiposeless Migrating Metal.  I've heard from most that the smoker is the best way to eat them, but a few have said they love 'em baked or simply prepared.  What's your preference?

Also, you seem to have a great catch per hours-spent ratio.  If you don't mind, can you tell me if you mainly use bait, wools or hardware?

Sorry to pry, but you've got my motor running. :o

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2006, 01:11:23 PM »

I like good cured roe.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2006, 06:49:51 PM »

HiYa Bozzo,

Preference? Hmmmm... I very much like the candied version - Yummy! That said, from time to time I also like them smoked on the BarBee. So kinda an either or thing I guess.
But most years I kill less than a half dozen. This year will be no different. Seems more and more these days, I'd rather return to hunt them again, or offer that back to another, over making grits out of them  ;)

you seem to have a great catch per hours-spent ratio.

LOL!  :D Not always, that IS For Sure!
Sometimes you land on 'em, sometimes you don't. Regardless, it is as much the Pursuit more than anything else. I've had many many days where I've been skunked, many more when I've walked away with a serious grin, having shaken hands with but one or two. Those rare Gravy Days are far and few between, and of course, result in a PermaGrin that is actually disturbing to some ;D  :D

If you don't mind, can you tell me if you mainly use bait, wools or hardware?

It all depends...
Where and when bait is open, there is a host of things that will work. Just now, the hottest thing we locals can fling out there is obviously chumly roe, whether singles (bagged) or skein. These were the last to spawn in most systems, and therefore the most likely delicacy the steelhead encountered on their way upstream. At other times, roe from springs or coho will work better. Sometimes shrimp (or prawns) is the answer, and often sand (ghost) shrimp is unbeatable. All depends on the timing...

Most systems, bait is a non-issue in that it's use is Verboten. There, I like egg imitations whether flies or plastic as a first drift item. After that, natural coloured rubber worms (when clear water) or pinkos when a tad off colour to dirt. Have caught the odd handfull on spin-n-glos, corkies, and even Colorado blades, but for me, these latter are almost always the last in the arsenal to be tried. Some of my Buddies do well on spinners and spoons, and under the right circumstances they can be deadly.

Nothing new there, same old - same old actually. I personally think a lot of it boils down to the right place at the right time. Of course that occasionally pays off better when you've done your homework, understand the type of water they tend to prefer under varying circumstances and how to "read" the flow for where that might be. One's potential for having the "right terminal" increases with the understanding of that, and the individual river.

Pursuing steelhead is amongst my most favorite pastimes, more like an obsession some say. Kinda like hunting, I find it more akin to that than most other fisheries I engage in. Often it hurts, a few days you grin, and on some rare days there's glory. Just the way it works.
I am of the opinion that the more time you put in out there, the greater will be your understanding of how it might be working on the occasion you're there. And likely as importantly, the next time you're looking.

Cheers,
Nog

Bozzo

• I need to go FISHING!
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2006, 08:22:19 PM »

Thanks for answering in such detail... It was a great read.