Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing with ROE  (Read 6645 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Fishing with ROE
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 06:19:11 AM »

I put the hook through the roe 2-3 times then put the part of the roe that is hanging off loose in the bait loop.  Then I wrap spider thread starting at the eye of the hook and wrapping around the roe securing it tight to the hook so that when a fish bites it's sure to hit the hook.  This also helps to keep the roe on the hook. 

Interesting method Eagle, how many times do you wrap the roe with the spider thread? How long does it last (the roe I mean)? When you replace the roe, does the spider thread come off easy?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 09:30:16 AM »

I don't use the same amount of wraps everytime.  I wrap it fairly tight around the eye of the hook a couple times then I wrap the roe gently around the hook until I come to the bottom of the chunk (where the bend of the hook should be located) then I wrap the part of the roe chunk that is to the sides of the hook tight to the hook,  finishing off with a couple tighter wraps at the eye of the hook.   I change mine every 4-5 casts not because it has fallen off but because it looses some of it's color and milking ability.  I've never actually counted how many casts I could make before it falls off but I'm sure this would vary depending on the speed of current.  If you want your eggs to stay on longer it helps to reel in slowly when retrieving them. To change the roe simply loosen the bait loop and slide it off, if the spider thread prevents you from doing this or keeps it hanging from the hook after sliding it off simply pull on it to snap it off.  If there is still spider thread on your bait loop which prevents it from opening break it off as well.  It is a little more time consuming than just using a bait loop but when using large chunks of roe I find it increases my hook up ratio and is therefore worth the extra effort.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:44:04 AM by Eagleye »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 10:06:27 AM »

I see now, thanks for the info. I'll definitely try it next time out.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 01:56:21 PM »

i have never had any issues with freezing fresh spring roe then thawing it when needed and curing it up. Trick is to get all the blood out while you are at the river, while the eggs are still fresh from the fish and the blood has not coagulated in the skein. I have come to prefer this as compared to curing then freezing for later use. too each his own though.
I personally have my best success using large egged red hot double stuff pro cured and boraxed spring roe for coho while float fishing. Bar fishing on the fraser the coho don't seem to even be interested in it. For that fishing I use the standard fresh, boraxed doggy roe. One thing i've noticed about chum roe however, it does not like to frozen prior to curing, seems a little more fragile than the big spring eggs.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 01:09:13 AM »

I'm farely new to fishin with roe as well, and was just curious, is it worth while curing eggs that have already been frozen, or has the freezing process already had a deteriorating effect on the eggs membrane?

I never freeze the eggs without curing it first.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 08:13:37 AM »

OK, new dumb question, still in the same topic.... What do you do when you have no roe? (sounds like a bad poem!).  I've read the odd persons post that they buy it.  Does bought stuff work?  Where does one buy the ahem, 'best' bought stuff from? 
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 05:41:22 PM »

I'm not a big fan of commercially cured roe, but if you don't have any....

Or, depending on where you live, you could also go to a public fish sales dock, (Steveston or Vancouver) but expect to pay a premium for what they call "sushi grade" roe.

Or, if you have a friend who's a commercial fisherman...
President Club S. C. & P.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 10:57:33 PM »

I agree with Merc, not a big fan of commercially cured roe. You're paying premium prices for often substandard roe.

c_dog

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 12:36:43 PM »

Went down to Steveston docks yesterday (friday), found a boat just setting up for the weekend with unfrozen chum roe.  Don't be afraid to bargan, They started at $8, I ended up paying $6.50 per lb.  Maybe now I'll try FishFreak' Roe Cure.  ;D
"Ya I got fish on, but now what am I apposetado?"