Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SOCKEY SEASON.  (Read 5427 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: SOCKEY SEASON.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 06:40:06 PM »

I donot want to be accused of being a fear monger but an early heads up for this year when the sockeye open as it will be open most likely to all sectors at the same time.

Not only will there be a lot more people out after their sockeye because of all the hype of a large return this season but be aware there will be more drift netting going on than ever before, near the popular BB bars.

This will be partly because of economic fishing opportunities that I understand will be given to FN this season.

This will result in nets coming in close to where recreational fishing is going on. I fear for some serious incidents if a lot of caution, consideration and restraint is not adhered to by all involved.

As one that choses not to participate in this fishery and have not for several years I donot worry about myself as I will be a long way away from it all. Saying that though I worry a lot for the safety of others, for those that are looking forward to this opening.

Also in my mind if things get too far out of hand the authorties are going to step in, and close one of these fisheries down and you know who that will be.

I hope things will not be as HOT out on The Fraser River this sockeye season as it is today and is forcast to be this weekend in Chilliwack.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 10:39:50 PM by chris gadsden »