Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuart Sockeye at Risk?  (Read 9835 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Stuart Sockeye at Risk?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2006, 11:50:57 AM »

Agreed.  So far there has no report of sockeye caught by any recreational fishermen.  However, reported sockeye cought and kept by FN was 36 as of July 2.  So much for conservation.

Ceremonial openings. Ya right  ::)  If they are so into their culture. Fish the way they used to.

dnibbles

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2006, 11:50:00 PM »

Agreed.  So far there has no report of sockeye caught by any recreational fishermen.  However, reported sockeye cought and kept by FN was 36 as of July 2.  So much for conservation.

There are quite a few sockeye being caught by bottom bouncers right now, spend some time on the river and you will see. 36 by the FN is well below what has been snagged so far on the Fraser by "sporties".

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2006, 01:45:24 AM »

36 kept. Killed kaput. And how many by recreational?

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2006, 06:37:03 AM »

some may have been killed by these so called sporties, but by accident. not like the fns keeping them on purpose for cerimonial food my my friend.close the whole thing down and let the early run go through then reopen it .heck whats a couple weeks doing the house chores as long as you get to go back on the river ;D thats my 2cents. 8) 8)

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2006, 09:35:32 AM »

Please re-read funfish's blurb.   I believe he has it correct.
Sockeye get caught via bar rigs, as well.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2006, 07:45:25 PM »

Ceremonial openings. Ya right  ::)  If they are so into their culture. Fish the way they used to.

And that doesn't include all the ones they have poached.  Only 36 sockeye kept by FN   :o ::) :-\

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2006, 01:32:15 AM »

Another day out to the bar again today. Not a single sockeye hooked by anyone BBing. No dead sock floating by either. If people are really sincere about conservation concern, stop FN, not BBing. Socks caught in BBing never swallow the offering deep, so never have much blood loss. They also fight a much lighter lead than those used in bar fishing. Socks released by accidental catch in BBing are usually robust. You cannot say that if socks are caught by other methods using much heavier gear. Socks with net marks are usually too weak to to survive. I say if DFO really worries about conservation of the Early Stuarts, stop FN from using potent nets. Only whatever traditional FN methods are allowed.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2006, 04:46:03 PM »

That sounds logical.   :) Socks jump and have robust runs when hooked by bouncing. When released they would burst off with tons of energy left. They are known to splash all over and get the releaser all wet.  I don't bar fish, but I can not see how the small socks can have much energy left after dragging that much heavier lead after the fight.  ;)

buck

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2006, 10:53:49 PM »

Funfish
 On your last post you stated that sockeye don't take the offering deep. You make it sound like they are bitting which you should know is incorrect. As for catching sockeye on bar fishing gear, good luck. It occasionally happens but not often.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2006, 11:36:24 PM »

From last year and this year barfishing result, they do get caught on barfishing rigs often.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 06:22:15 PM »

Sockeyes are mostly flossed, but many sockeyes are hooked with the hook squarely in the mouth. Since sockeyes bite in other rivers, how can we be so sure they don't bite. You are not down there to witness each hook up. So, you can't say every sockeye is flossed. They just don't bite deep because wool is not bait.