Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favourite Float  (Read 9272 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Favourite Float
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 10:33:24 PM »

nothing can seperate danny and his balsa's ;D ;D, and nothing can seperate sam and his drennans ;D ;D
For red+white springs and chum this year I will be using foam. Those fish are too powerful and there is to big of a risk of losing a drennan. LOL. but other than that I will never use anything but a drennan
     ....Hey birdman I bet you would use dreenans for springs and chum if you won the youth writing contest ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 10:38:07 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

drift

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 12:40:59 PM »

I've never tried anything but foam,might have to try these balsa ones you guys are talking about.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 04:40:33 PM »

My favorite floats are the ones I found all 90 of them. I slice the foam ones into more stramlined shapes for improved strike indication. I lost a few drennens that I found and won't pay that kind of cash for them. Have lots of balsa's that work just as well....I guess.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Ribwart

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 06:47:43 AM »

The float big steel has shown in his pic, is one I use quite frequently, it has a great feel to it, but I do still use the foamies from time to time....can anyone offer a comparison of this balsa to a drennan? Would like to try the drennan, wondering how they compare.
thx,
rib
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 06:49:30 AM by Ribwart »

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 08:40:52 AM »

I am favor, and always have been, of balsa floats. I am very happy with them and use them for all my float fishing. It never occurred to me to even try a different type of float.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 09:48:43 AM »

I generally use high density green foam floats but in ultra clear slow moving water I use the clear bobbers that twist onto your line and can be filled with water to add to your casting distance, if the water is clear with a fair bit of current or I'm doing a long drift that would make it difficult to see the clear bobber I use a small drennan.   I also use the large zepplers for getting down deep in fast water.  Here is a question for the drennan users which do you prefer pikers or zepplers?  Or do you use both but for different applications/water conditions?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 10:23:02 AM »

Depends on water conditions.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2006, 11:25:11 AM »

Depends on water conditions.

could you please elaborate?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2006, 12:26:09 PM »

When you are fishing higher water ie. faster flow you need more weight to bring your lure down to the fish, therefore a bigger float. I prefer a Zeppler in those conditions. If the water level is medium flow I downsize, using lesser weight and therefore a smaller float. I use a Piker in those conditions.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006, 12:52:07 PM »

I understand what your saying about needing more weight to get down to the strike zone in higher faster flows but both the pikers and zepplers come in various sizes and the largest piker will actually hold more weight than the zepplers.  Is the reason why you prefer pikers in slower water because they are more sensitive and do you think the large pikers would create too much drag/wake for the faster flows because they are longer?  Being shorter I would think the zepplers would be slightly more stealthy than the pikers since there would be less float protruding into the water.  Since I don't use drennans all that often I appreciate your input.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 01:49:50 PM »

all 2 eh sam? ;D
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

frenchy

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 09:47:26 AM »

Only fished with foam so far, but I went on the Chehalis for the first time this week end to try to catch one early summer run steelhead. No fish, of course  ::), but I found a couple of float traps on the river... Results: 35 foam floats, 5 drennans and 1 balsa   :o. Not a bad day. Next time I will try the famous Drennan ;D.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 11:32:44 AM »

Results: 35 foam floats, 5 drennans and 1 balsa   :o.

You hit the jackpot  :)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 04:46:56 PM »

jackpot is right, I have yet to try, blalsa but i dont like the drenans, but with whites and coho, they break off to frequently.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 07:12:21 PM »

Ive tried all of the floats, but i would have to say hands down cork floats are MONEY!!! Corkers

Dan